Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Swedish Ljungman reloading

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mustang
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 5075

    Swedish Ljungman reloading

    I got to the range last week and managed to shoot a few reloads in the Ljungman. I was mainly there to test some Garand reloads, so I didn't spend a lot of time on the Ljungman...plus I had only done a few rounds in each charge weight. All loads with IMR 4064, CCI # 34 primer, Nosler 140 CC bullet, COL 3.015"

    35.5 gr., 36.0 & 36.5, 37.0



    It looks like the Ljungman liked the lighter loads. Above 36.0 grains, as the charge weight went up, the groups opened up. The extraction was much less violent than using surplus or commercial ammo. The cases were not nearly as torn up by the extraction and ejection, either. The loads all functioned well in the gun and I didn't oil the cases.

    I didn't have a chronograph, but per the Sierra loading manual, 36.0 grains of 4064 should yield around 2500 fps.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
  • #2
    1-M-42
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 1232

    Thats pretty tight. How'd it shoot today?
    sigpicCertainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

    Comment

    • #3
      Mustang
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2007
      • 5075

      Originally posted by 1-M-42
      Thats pretty tight. How'd it shoot today?
      I shot a 24 which matched what I shot in September with the Hornady "Vintage Match" 6.5 x 55 factory ammo. I used my Hakim in the November match, but my son used the Ljungman, again with the Hornady match ammo, and scored a 24.

      At this point it seems that my reloads might keep up with the Hornady match ammo and with much less drama on the extraction/ejection sequence.
      Last edited by Mustang; 02-24-2013, 7:57 PM.
      ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

      Comment

      • #4
        1-M-42
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 1232

        There were two guys shooting to my left yesterday, one shooting an HK 91 clone and the other a CETME...both those damn rifles will give your Ljungman or Hakim a run for their money when it comes to throwing brass....had two deflect off my noggin but most went three stations to their right, about three feet off the concrete, passing right in front of my muzzle....very annoying!
        sigpicCertainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

        Comment

        • #5
          Mustang
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2007
          • 5075

          Originally posted by 1-M-42
          There were two guys shooting to my left yesterday, one shooting an HK 91 clone and the other a CETME...both those damn rifles will give your Ljungman or Hakim a run for their money when it comes to throwing brass....had two deflect off my noggin but most went three stations to their right, about three feet off the concrete, passing right in front of my muzzle....very annoying!
          I think one of those guys beat me in the foreign class.

          My reloads, with the medium burning powder tossed the cases much less than the factory 6.5 x 55 ammo. I think, like the Garand, that the slower powders that the factory typically load result in high gas port pressues. I used Garand safe 4064 in my reloads.
          ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

          Comment

          • #6
            Pete1979
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 670

            If you can find them, try the same load data with a Sierra 142gr Matchking. While the Noslers are a quality bullet, I've never had them shoot as good as Sierra in the bolt guns or even Hornady in the gas guns. Not sure why, might be a different jacket.

            Comment

            • #7
              Mustang
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2007
              • 5075

              Originally posted by Pete1979
              If you can find them, try the same load data with a Sierra 142gr Matchking. While the Noslers are a quality bullet, I've never had them shoot as good as Sierra in the bolt guns or even Hornady in the gas guns. Not sure why, might be a different jacket.
              I would like to try the 142 gr SMK's, but have a buddy with a dealer agreement with Nosler. The price difference is too great
              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

              Comment

              • #8
                1-M-42
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 1232

                Steve, I may have an extra 100 ct. box of SMK 142s. I'll work a deal with you
                sigpicCertainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

                Comment

                • #9
                  pro-nra
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 2270

                  Anybody know what the twist rate on the Ljungman? If it is slower, might be better served with 123 grain projectiles?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mustang
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 5075

                    Originally posted by 1-M-42
                    Steve, I may have an extra 100 ct. box of SMK 142s. I'll work a deal with you
                    I'm interested!!
                    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mustang
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 5075

                      Originally posted by pro-nra
                      Anybody know what the twist rate on the Ljungman? If it is slower, might be better served with 123 grain projectiles?
                      Don't know for sure, Juanito, but I believe that the standard twist rate for Swedish Mausers is 1:7.8. I'd bet they would have the same rate for the Ljungman, since it fired the same ammo.
                      ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        arnie19
                        Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 367

                        Steve ,i shot mine today with IMR 4320 .That powder is between 4064 and 4350 .It was plenty accurate and the cases just fell out about a foot or two out from the rifle . Arnie

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mustang
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 5075

                          Originally posted by arnie19
                          Steve ,i shot mine today with IMR 4320 .That powder is between 4064 and 4350 .It was plenty accurate and the cases just fell out about a foot or two out from the rifle . Arnie
                          Good deal!

                          What load did you use? 140 grain bullet?

                          I think having the cases softly ejected indicates that the rifle is not getting slammed as much as with the factory ammo, which flung my cases 30 or 40 feet.

                          How did your Ljungman function ?
                          ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            arnie19
                            Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 367

                            I used 39 grains of 4320 and nosler 140 bullets . I used Dillon case lube to full length size the cases and just wiped the cases but didnt remove all of the lube .That lube is lanolin and impossible to get off unless you wipe with an alcohol soaked rage or wash them in hot soapy water . So i figured it wouldnt hurt to leave some residue on them . Im trying now to figure out which front sight hight will work the best .Arnie

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mustang
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 5075

                              Originally posted by arnie19
                              I used 39 grains of 4320 and nosler 140 bullets . I used Dillon case lube to full length size the cases and just wiped the cases but didnt remove all of the lube .That lube is lanolin and impossible to get off unless you wipe with an alcohol soaked rage or wash them in hot soapy water . So i figured it wouldnt hurt to leave some residue on them . Im trying now to figure out which front sight hight will work the best .Arnie

                              Thanks, Arnie

                              I've got a PDF of the Ljungman manual that was translated from Swedish. The Swedes actually advised lubing the cases with a light oil. I have used a dry lubricant when shooting Swedish surplus or factory ammo. Without it, the cases would sometimes hang up and fail to eject.

                              Leaving a little lanolin on the cases might not be a problem.

                              Did the gun function well with that load?
                              Last edited by Mustang; 02-27-2013, 9:30 PM.
                              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1