Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Received a Mauser & Mosin today!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GeeDog
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 523

    Received a Mauser & Mosin today!

    While waiting to get a VZ-24 which is still in the works, I managed to trade myself into a Mauser and a Mosin. I have zero experience with foreign military C&R weapons but I'm jazzed about the new acquisitions. Don't know how to do pics here yet, but will figure it out soon.

    The Mauser is just pristine, and looks like it was made last year. S/N V214XX is stamped on the bolt, the receiver, the mag well cover, and stamped into the beautiful stock. Otherwise the only markings are little V's in circles and M's in little trapezoid-shaped boxes on most of the metal parts. I was told it was 8mm, but can't tell by looking at it. The story goes about getting it from an old lady several years ago who's husband brought it back from the war. Hard to verify. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated.

    The other is a Mosin stamped Kb445 on the reciever and hand-engraved C.A.I. Georgia UT (or VT) and M91738 Russia 7.62x54R. It has a crest with what may be a hammer / cycle surrounded by laurel leaves and is stamped 1942. The bolt is stamped with either 09 or 60, and there's a little star stamped under the bolt handle knob. The front sight is marked with a backward "R" and "5". There are also a few little stamps that might be circled "V's" here and there.

    I know I need to do some research, but being new to this I thought I'd throw it out there and maybe someone can get me going in the right direction.

    Thanks!
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson
  • #2
    cruddymutt
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1589

    Cant help on the Mauser, need to see pictures to narrow down model. Nothing comes to mind with your description. The Mosin however sounds like a 1942 Mosin Nagant made at the Izhevsk arsenal. More than likely a model 91/30 but could be a Model 38 but again, need to see pictures.
    sigpic
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Comment

    • #3
      mosinnagantm9130
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2009
      • 8783

      Yep, need some pics.
      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
      Originally posted by ChopperX
      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
      Originally posted by Jeff L
      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

      Comment

      • #4
        mosinnagantm9130
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2009
        • 8783

        Yep, need some pics.
        Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
        My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

        Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
        Originally posted by ChopperX
        I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
        Originally posted by Jeff L
        Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

        Comment

        • #5
          NOTABIKER
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2012
          • 7635

          the fun starts now. after getting my first Mosin i lost interest in my Savage bolt in 223 and a savage heavy barrel FV in 22lr. they are both good accurate rifles, just not 70 year old battle rifles.

          Comment

          • #6
            GeeDog
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 523

            Okay, I did some research on the Mauser. Seems to be a v-prefix M48BO (no crest or model number on receiver). If it's a K98 re-work, they reworked it into one beauty of a rifle. Can't see that the receiver has been sanded or ground down. Has the flattened underside of the bolt knob. All matching s/n's and stamped metal parts. It seems odd that the fore-end sling attachment is on the bolt side. Seems that the sling could interfere with the bolt. Don't have a sling at the moment. From what I've seen, these are all 8mm. More research to do on this one, then then focus on the same with the Mosin. I hear that the M48 and K98 bayonets are interchangeable? Want to get a bayonet for this and the Mosin. Have one for my M1 carbine. Like to have the accessories. When I figure out how to do the pics here, I'll add for those who might like to see it. The stock is the best piece of wood I've seen on a rifle. Not laminate. Almost looks like Teak. Thanks for all responses!
            "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
            - Thomas Jefferson

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1