Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The Garand Bug has bitten... once again!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoCalXD
    Senior Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2006
    • 969

    The Garand Bug has bitten... once again!

    Over the decades, I've run hot and cold on the Garands, always making the mistake of selling them off (Including an Ultra-match built by McCoy which was shooting a 1" MOA... Doh!).

    On a whim, I picked this up off the Marketplace last week. Seller was asking $500:



    After taking it home and spending 4 hours cleaning a few decades of carbon and abuse off it , I started spec-ing it out.

    Serial # 1,159,XXX
    All parts correct (!), including barrel (!), excluding the winter safety installed. no CMP marks on the stock, no reweld, no gunsmith marks. Original Nickel plated Oiler in the stock.

    The action passes the 60 Degree test, but the piston specs under min dim (which would explain all the carbon buildup inside the stock!). Everything measures good, so I think with a new piston installed, I'll be GTG.

    Heck of a shame to see an early 1943 M1 cut down like this, but I promise to take good care of it and get a correct safety on it!
  • #2
    rconnerley
    Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 179

    Welcome back to the addiction! Enjoy
    Interested in Appleseed? PM me for info

    Comment

    • #3
      metalliman545
      Banned
      • May 2010
      • 1257

      looks um, pretty short

      Comment

      • #4
        metalliman545
        Banned
        • May 2010
        • 1257

        think itll still fire like that?

        Comment

        • #5
          pro-nra
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2010
          • 2270

          Congratulation on your new rifle. That is a shame someone would cut an original barrel. Looks like it has a lock bar rear sight too so that is nice. When you say all parts correct did you check bolt heat lot # to match the receiver serial #? Any 65 series parts on the rifle?

          You need to take it outside and get a real camera not cell phone and take good pics and post it so we can salivate all over our monitor.

          Comment

          • #6
            SoCalXD
            Senior Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2006
            • 969

            Originally posted by metalliman545
            think itll still fire like that?
            It looks like a typical "Tanker" cut down. I've measured everything good and it passes the tilt test. The gas piston will need to be replaced (which measured .5245 all around). I figured I'd send that out to Columbus Machine. I'm also waiting on a box from Brownell's which has my new 30-06 headspace gauges in it, which I will of course confirm good before I shoot it. Now I just need to look for a correct safety for it, as that winter safety is an abomination!

            As for the bolt heat lot... oops... I guess I misspoke on the entire rifle being correct... it's a post war 6.08 Mil. Z5 lot... well heck, as I recall, it's already in a "noncollectable" status with the cut down job, so if that bolt passes headspace, it stays on this shooter!

            As for photos, this was one of the seller's shots. Once I get it fixed up, get the wood waxed up and get a Turner sling on it, I'll post some new shots of it!

            Comment

            • #7
              pro-nra
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 2270

              Even with a post war bolt, it still have a lock bar sight and that alone is A1 in my book. I just love lock bar as it speaks WWII.

              Can't wait for the pics. Congratulation once again.

              Comment

              • #8
                Mac Attack
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2008
                • 2127

                Nice tanker rifle.

                My Garands are my favorite rifles to shoot by far. One of these days I plan to pick up a M1D from the CMP before they are gone. Hell I might even sell one of my black rifles to fund it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Exodus343
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 4740

                  so your the one who claimed that Tanker last week!
                  congrats!!!
                  "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Pete1979
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 670

                    There is a booth at the Crossroads gun shows with boxes of Garand and Springfield parts. The guy said he does Ventura, Costa Mesa and Ontario. A safety should be an easy find.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      6mmintl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 4822

                      just another one of 6 million

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1