Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CAI M1 Garand?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Exodus343
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 4740

    CAI M1 Garand?

    Anyone know anything about this?
    Going to pick one up soon
    also reload recipe for the M1 Garand would be much appreciated too!
    "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

    sigpic
  • #2
    me109g4
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 615

    in a word??? Dont!

    Comment

    • #3
      Exodus343
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 4740

      Originally posted by me109g4
      in a word??? Dont!
      Really?
      the guy said he's put 500 rounds through it with no problem
      are there problems with this one?
      "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        me109g4
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 615

        CAI receivers are cast, not forged like the originals, they are poorly cast at that, tolerance issues. Also the elevation cuts in the receiver are cast, not cut into the receiver, they will wear quickly. go find a CMP Garand for sale of buy direct from CMP. buy once and save yourself some possible headaches down the road. I have worked on Garands for better than 20 yrs. i personally wouldnt go near a CAI receiver. JT

        Comment

        • #5
          Exodus343
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 4740

          Originally posted by me109g4
          CAI receivers are cast, not forged like the originals, they are poorly cast at that, tolerance issues. Also the elevation cuts in the receiver are cast, not cut into the receiver, they will wear quickly. go find a CMP Garand for sale of buy direct from CMP. buy once and save yourself some possible headaches down the road. I have worked on Garands for better than 20 yrs. i personally wouldnt go near a CAI receiver. JT

          Where can I get a CMP one?
          and how easy is it to order off CMP?
          "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            me109g4
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 615



            Or just look through the "for sale" thread here, or go to a few gun shows or shops, they are not hard to find. JT

            Comment

            • #7
              me109g4
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 615

              oops, should have thrown ths link in too,,,

              Comment

              • #8
                TMB 1
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2012
                • 7153

                How much $ was you going to pick it up for?
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Exodus343
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 4740

                  Originally posted by TMB 1
                  How much $ was you going to pick it up for?
                  $550 + DROS
                  also getting 20 fully loaded em blocs, sling, and cleaning kit
                  "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    me109g4
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 615

                    With that much $$ invested i would get a "Service Grade" from CMP for $625 shipped to your door.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Exodus343
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 4740

                      Originally posted by me109g4
                      With that much $$ invested i would get a "Service Grade" from CMP for $625 shipped to your door.

                      your allowed to have CMP ship directly to your door??!
                      can CMP rifles use commercial loads? I'm trying to use Prvi Partizan ammo
                      "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TMB 1
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 7153

                        You can get an adjustable gas plug & shoot what ever load you want in them. You can learn a lot about Garand on CMP forum.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rodngun762
                          Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 276

                          Originally posted by Exodus343
                          your allowed to have CMP ship directly to your door??!
                          Yes!

                          Originally posted by Exodus343
                          can CMP rifles use commercial loads? I'm trying to use Prvi Partizan ammo
                          Commercial loads other than Hornady's Garand special not reccommended(without above mentioned adjustable gas plug), however CMP sells quality 30'06 noncorrosive brass surplus for 55c/rd delivered.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rolex87
                            Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 209

                            I have a Century and just wanted a cheap Garand to put on the wall. I have heard of problems but I took it to the local gunsmith and said the headspacing was fine. I put about 20-50 rounds a year through it so I certainly don't really put it through its paces.

                            If I had the money and wanted a shooter, I'd go thru CMP and if I shot a lot I'd get one from Fulton for the brand new look.
                            M1 Garand, Mauser(s), SKS, AR, and some old stuff
                            www.mikereevesphotography.com
                            mikereevesphotography.zenfolio.com coupon code "calguns" gets you 20% off!
                            Currently enjoying my time as a park photographer in Yosemite

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dr.Mauser
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 1862

                              join the forums there, they always have some for sale

                              !!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

                              !!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

                              Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1