Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Please help in identifying

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Liquidasphalt
    Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 235

    Please help in identifying

    I received these 2 guns today and I can not find any information on the shotgun at all. If any of you know what I have come across it will be greatly appreciated!I know the rifle is a Mauser but I can not identify what kind it is. The only marking I can find is the serial numbers. It also does not accept a 8mm round, possibly a 7mm Mauser?

    Ill start with the shotgun. The only marking I can make out is FW Victor but google search failed at finding any information.





    And now the Mauser



    Last edited by Liquidasphalt; 07-07-2012, 1:23 AM.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.-Thomas Jefferson
  • #2
    mosinnagantm9130
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2009
    • 8783

    The mauser is a m1916 Spanish short rifle. Based on the serial number, it is most likely a 7mm mauser, but it's possibly a 7.62 nato.

    Sorry that I can't help on the shotgun, good luck.
    Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
    My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

    Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
    Originally posted by ChopperX
    I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
    Originally posted by Jeff L
    Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

    Comment

    • #3
      GOEX FFF
      ☆ North Texas ☆
      CGN Contributor
      • Jun 2007
      • 7635

      +1 On the 1916 Spanish Mauser.

      Your shotgun is one of many "Trade Brand" name or "Store Brand" shotguns that were made by the Crescent Firearms Company of Norwich, CT from approx 1892-1932.They were made for, sold and owned by H & D Folsom of NYC, which was a large jobber wholesale and retail sporting goods outlet and later in the early 30's, were purchased by Stevens/Savage. These shotguns could also have been found in local Hardware and other small retail stores. They were chambered in various shot shell calibers and had many Brand names such as Victor, Victor Arms Co, Victor No. 1, Victor No. 10, Victor No. 11, Victor No. 15, Victor Special and American Gun Co. to name a few....which were all trade names for retailers used by the Crescent Firearms Co. They where cheap, inexpensive shotguns.

      It also looks as perhaps yours is missing the trigger guard?

      Here is an ad from the Folsom N0. 18 catalogue -




      From the 1930-31 Folsom Catalogue N0. 35 -

      Last edited by GOEX FFF; 07-07-2012, 6:00 AM.
      Stand for the Flag - Kneel for the Cross

      The 2nd Amendment Explained

      Comment

      • #4
        gun toting monkeyboy
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2008
        • 6820

        Goex pretty much covered it. These shotguns were your basic utility shotgun. No-frills. It was the kind of thing farmers bought to get rid of pests. Or kids bought as their first gun. They were produced in large numbers, and competed with the single and double barreled models coming in from Belgium.

        -Mb
        Originally posted by aplinker
        It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

        Comment

        • #5
        • #6
          Liquidasphalt
          Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 235

          Originally posted by GOEX FFF

          It also looks as perhaps yours is missing the trigger guard?
          Yeah it is missing the trigger guard and is pretty rusted, but cant complain for a total price of $0 for both rifles. Any tips on rust removal? Was using Hopes #9 on the Mauser and it worked pretty well but am looking for something that I could soak a few of the parts in.

          Am I correct in thinking that I could use a .30 cal brush on the Mauser?

          Any how thanks for all the Information guys!
          A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.-Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #7
            ColdDeadHands1
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 3391

            Regarding rust removal, disassemble and soak all the metal parts in A product named Kroil. After soaking for a few days scrub with fine bronze wool. Do not use steel wool. The steel fibers will embed in your guns and rust more.

            The bronze wool can be found at Ace hardware stores. The Kroil is a bit more elusive. I ordered some from Midway.

            If you follow this method you should be able to remove the rust while preserving what is left if the original finish.


            "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"

            Comment

            • #8
              GOEX FFF
              ☆ North Texas ☆
              CGN Contributor
              • Jun 2007
              • 7635

              If you really want to get crazy with rust removal, you can build yourself an electrolysis tank for pretty cheap.
              In extreme cases, it can do an amazing job at separating rust from the metal.

              Here's an old thread over at SRF showing the set up and process.

              Stand for the Flag - Kneel for the Cross

              The 2nd Amendment Explained

              Comment

              • #9
                Liquidasphalt
                Member
                • Apr 2012
                • 235

                Thanks again guys. I will definitely have to give the electrolysis a try on the shotgun when I can get something set up. I didn't even know where to begin with that thing its so gunked up. And I will be ordering some Kroil for the smaller parts.
                A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.-Thomas Jefferson

                Comment

                • #10
                  mosinnagantm9130
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2009
                  • 8783

                  Originally posted by Liquidasphalt

                  Am I correct in thinking that I could use a .30 cal brush on the Mauser?
                  If it's 7.62 NATO, yeah. If it's 7mm, no way. 7mm is .284, a .30 rod won't even fit.
                  Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                  My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                  Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                  Originally posted by ChopperX
                  I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                  Originally posted by Jeff L
                  Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    edgerly779
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 19871

                    Most rifle/pistol bore brushs fit on a 22 cleaning rod. Never seen a .30 cal cleaning rod. Maybe moisin made them.

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      mosinnagantm9130
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2009
                      • 8783

                      Originally posted by edgerly779
                      Most rifle/pistol bore brushs fit on a 22 cleaning rod. Never seen a .30 cal cleaning rod. Maybe moisin made them.
                      I may have just had a senior moment lol

                      I meant .30 brush, my .30 brushes won't fit my m1916.
                      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                      Originally posted by ChopperX
                      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                      Originally posted by Jeff L
                      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Liquidasphalt
                        Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 235

                        Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
                        If it's 7.62 NATO, yeah. If it's 7mm, no way. 7mm is .284, a .30 rod won't even fit.
                        I did shove the .30 cal down the barrel and did succeed but it was a pain in the *** and did not try again. I did get a 7mm brush today and it worked a whole lot better!
                        A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.-Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          bohoki
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 20826

                          if you get an offer of $13 for the shotgun take it

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1