Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mosin Noobie Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • interstellar
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 1049

    Mosin Noobie Question

    Hi,

    I picked up a '39 Tula and cleaned it up today. The stock has lots of nicks and deep scratches and what looks like a small circle with a faded letter/symbol in inside it, on the lower half of one of the right butt. The butt plate is partially painted black; the rest looks worn off. The barrel is clean but the exterior of it was poorly blued over a few pitted areas - in fact it looks like it was reassembled before the bluing dried as I some it transferred to the fore stock.

    The question is when would this bluing have taken place?

    I'll add pics in the AM.
  • #2
    email
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 2503

    Right before assembly. :-)

    Comment

    • #3
      mosinnagantm9130
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2009
      • 8783

      You sure it's bluing and not black paint on the barrel?

      This would've happened when it was refurbed.
      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
      Originally posted by ChopperX
      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
      Originally posted by Jeff L
      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

      Comment

      • #4
        interstellar
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 1049

        Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
        You sure it's bluing and not black paint on the barrel?

        This would've happened when it was refurbed.
        I guess it is paint. Is this a common feature?

        Comment

        • #5
          Noonanda
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3404

          yep they seemed to love to just touch up spots with black paint to prevent rust once they were put into long term storage
          "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

          Comment

          • #6
            Vlad 11
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 2961

            Sounds typical. It is common to have little spots off touch up paint over pitted spots , worn areas on the buttplate, and sometimes the handguard ends are painted black. The stuff will scratch off with a fingernail, not that i have done that... Actually i have

            Be sure to add a gratuitous shot of the Mosin in your BB movie.

            Comment

            • #7
              Cowboy T
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2010
              • 5725

              Mine's got a paint spot, too, where it's a little pitted. Not too worried about that, since that's not where peak pressure takes place. Hey, it's an old milsurp rifle, part of the charm. :-)

              What matters the most is if the rifling's in good shape and if the barrel is properly crowned. If so, the rifle should shoot pretty darn well.
              "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
              F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
              http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
              http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
              http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
              ----------------------------------------------------
              To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

              Comment

              • #8
                interstellar
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 1049

                Just leaving the range now.

                Wow! I'm bit. I'm in love with my Mosin. Shoots true and consistent, I hit everything (100/250 yards) after sighting in with the first two rounds.

                Going to sell my mini 30 and buy a sniper version...

                Comment

                • #9
                  glock 357
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 1076

                  Mosins are freakin' awesome. I think I have too many of them. Wait till you reload, you'll be surprised at what it can do. Now is the time to start adding to the collection: M27, m38, m39, m44 list can go on. Glad to hear you are happy with your mosin. Just don't bubba it keep it simple.
                  STUFF FOR SALE
                  RUGER 10/22 Custom tack driver
                  GoPro Hero and Logitech Harmony Universal Remotes
                  RCBS Lee and Lachmiller Pistol Rifle reloading dies & RCBS 4X4 Shell Plates

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AK all day
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 2977

                    Sniper version..... Droll..... You have been infected.
                    "The purpose of living is to find something worth dying for"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      interstellar
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 1049

                      OK. I have decided to trade my Mini 30 (awesome gun with a new firing pin) for some C&R wood. So if any have something to trade let me know. I will be at the Chico show this weekend if you want to see the Mini 30.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        interstellar
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 1049

                        Originally posted by Vlad 11
                        Sounds typical. It is common to have little spots off touch up paint over pitted spots , worn areas on the buttplate, and sometimes the handguard ends are painted black. The stuff will scratch off with a fingernail, not that i have done that... Actually i have

                        Be sure to add a gratuitous shot of the Mosin in your BB movie.
                        It will appear - maybe in a scene of C&Rs at a range talking about the hobby.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1