Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CMP Service Grade Springfield Arrived Today!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigfootHunter
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Sep 2009
    • 770

    CMP Service Grade Springfield Arrived Today!

    Why did I wait this long to get one of these? Really excited to take this thing out to the range. Considered going for the "Special Grade" in .308, since I don't have any other .30-06 rifles, but I couldn't justify the extra $325 and I figured I'd rather have one in the original chambering anyway.

    Just a few quick cell phone pics, but I'm pretty happy, it isn't quite as orange as it appears in the top photo, but it's definitely not a dark brown like I know some people like them either. I am happy to have gotten new wood, and the serial is in the 5794xxx range, anyone know where i can find a site to nail down a date for the receiver? Haven't taken it down yet to see what parts are SA, but it looks like the bolt is SA as well. 1+ muzzle 3+ throat. I need to take it apart an clean the cosmoline off (I'm guessing that is not grease that can be seen on the prod channel/rear sight and bolt area). It looks like this may have been partially done already, as it isn't dripping in it like the Mauser I had was, but that was crustier than this as well, unless it is grease.

    Also, I've heard people say not to fire commercial .30-06 through this, I plan to get some surplus from the CMP, but until then should I avoid firing Federal Fusion .30-06 (150gr) through it?

    Just did my Appleseed to get the paperwork signed off at the beginning of this month, sent in the paperwork to the CMP which they received on 4/12 - received the rifle today, not too shabby!






  • #2
    golddredger
    Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 338

    Very nice very very nice indeed! I have to get this paper work done and ready to send off. I am rerally looking forward to getting on ordered myself. Have fun out there!
    You got to keep on keep'in on!!!!

    Comment

    • #3
      BigfootHunter
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Sep 2009
      • 770

      Originally posted by stretch
      Thanks for the link/info!

      Yes, get the paperwork done! It is really easy (just need to get a notary to watch you sign it).

      Comment

      • #4
        leman77
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 1168

        Nice rifle, and you got it quick too. Congrats!

        Comment

        • #5
          gotshotgun?
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 3667

          Rifle looks great! Metal is in fantastic shape. Do a complete detail strip and clean and you'll be good to go. Don't shoot any new ammo until you buy an adjustable gas plug. Could bend the op rod. ( it's supposed to be slightly bent already though)

          Comment

          • #6
            pro-nra
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 2270

            Very nice indeed. Can't realy tell for sure due to the camera flash/lighting but don't look like it is the dreaded Greek black.

            I know Federal and Hornady makes Garand safe ammo. Why bother buying commercial just reload the HXP brass.

            Comment

            • #7
              Capybara
              CGSSA Coordinator
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2012
              • 15659

              Congrats, looking good man! My HRA Service Special arrived Monday, a close cousin to your Springfield. Gotta love these rifles, they are living history.

              I ordered 600 rounds of the Greek HXP, you really should too, .49 a round, you aren't going to do better than that. I also ordered 500 rounds of the CMP Hornady M1 ammo (.85 per round) for ranges that won't let me shoot magnetic ammo. If I ever shoot anything but these two types of ammo, I will be getting the adjustable gas plug too but I plan on teaching myself reloading as I shoot through this ammo, I will be saving all of the brass. The HXP is the killer deal of the century though, you should buy some while it is available.
              NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                lamduh
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 1964

                im sorry but im fairly new to the forums but what do you mean by "appleseed paper to turn in to CMP" i thought i can just order from CMP and select grade and ship to FFL for an M1 or is there something else that im missing.please enlighten me on this subject i really want to get this rifle in the near future just because of its historical values and how much fun it will be to shot


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  BigfootHunter
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 770

                  The paperwork requires some type of live fire training (or LE0/MIL experience). Basically someone has to sign of saying you are safe with firearms. So the Appleseed Shoots ( http://appleseedinfo.org/ ) fill that requirement. You also have to have a membership at a range, etc. The RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Assn.) who put on the appleseeds fill that requirement as well. You actually don't need an FFL at all, they just ship the rifle to your house (as it is a C&R).

                  All the info on how to do it can be found at http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/formsindex.htm. I highly recommend the CMP as it is super easy and a really neat program.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    me109g4
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 615

                    I am assuming the barrel is USGI,, if you pull the op rod back you can see the barrel data, including the date of barrel manufacture, which being that late manufacture is probably original to the gun and will get you in the ballpark for the manufacture date of the receiver.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BigfootHunter
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 770

                      Just detail stripping it tonight (the AGI M1 Garand DVD is a great reference), and the barrel and oprod are both Springfield (the serial on the barrel is different than the receiver, does that mean it is a replacement or do they differ slightly usually?), the trigger group (what's marked anyway) is HR, as is the front sight/gas plug and tube. There was a bunch of newish cosmoline (still pretty pliable) in the action and bolt, but the barrel, oprod and trigger group were pretty clean. I have everything taken apart and cleaned off now I'm going to rub everything down with a CLP wipe and watch the reassembly portion of the AGI vid.

                      I'm hoping they show grease points, I have some Tetra lube and some Shooters Choice (which came in a handy syringe) anyone have another better grease or preference between these two? Any other tips on reassembly?

                      Also, I was thinking about getting an NM sight set for it since the sights come off so easily. Do those just have a smaller width front sight and tighter rear peep?
                      Last edited by BigfootHunter; 04-27-2012, 6:29 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        gotshotgun?
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 3667

                        Ok Bigfoot here's the 411 on Garands and serial numbers. The numbers you see on the parts are drawing numbers, not serial numbers. Unlike European firearms, the Garand was not made to be a parts matching weapon. Instead, the Allies wanted a gun that could donate its op rod or any other part to another gun in the field without ANY fear of not working correctly. You can check the drawing numbers on the parts to see if they are correct for the time period of the gun.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          me109g4
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 615

                          There should be a date on the barrel,, probably a 54 or 55 for the yr.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BigfootHunter
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 770

                            Originally posted by gotshotgun?
                            Ok Bigfoot here's the 411 on Garands and serial numbers. The numbers you see on the parts are drawing numbers, not serial numbers. Unlike European firearms, the Garand was not made to be a parts matching weapon. Instead, the Allies wanted a gun that could donate its op rod or any other part to another gun in the field without ANY fear of not working correctly. You can check the drawing numbers on the parts to see if they are correct for the time period of the gun.
                            Thanks for the info, do you have anywhere I can find out more about drawing numbers? Like what they mean, etc.? Are they just a sequential numbering of parts?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BigfootHunter
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 770

                              Originally posted by me109g4
                              There should be a date on the barrel,, probably a 54 or 55 for the yr.
                              Just checked and the barrel has a draft number then "12 54 MD 45" on it. I'm guessing the 54 means 1954, any idea about the other numbers?

                              Thanks for all the great info guys, really appreciate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1