Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Absolutely and totally confused

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rob P.
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 1223

    Absolutely and totally confused

    I am interested in antique firearms. I have several vintage ones and would like to acquire more (Note to calgunners - I'm BROKE right now. *Hint hint*).

    Lets say (for the sake of argument) I was interested in a nice pre 50's revolver in a shop in Arizona. Let's also say that I have an 03 FFL (I don't but am thinking in that direction).

    What do I have to do to get my new wheelgun into my hot & grubbies?

    What difference would there be if the gun was already IN california?

    edited to add:

    What differences are there if I'm in Arizona with my C&R license when I find my prize?
    Last edited by Rob P.; 01-01-2008, 10:27 AM.
  • #2
    thefifthspeed
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2007
    • 2674

    I take it your C&R "would" be from CA and you live in CA? If that is the case either way a pistol still needs to go through an 01 for a PPT. Also it depends on what you intend to collect if you should get an 03FFL. If you don't plan on colecting a lot of 50+ y/o long guns then it won't do much good.

    Comment

    • #3
      TonyNorCal
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2004
      • 8047

      If you're in Arizona and have a C&R you can purchase the C&R revolver and bring it back to California. You then must report your purchase to the DOJ within 5 days using this form (and you also get to pay $19 for the priviledge of exercising your 2A rights)..



      If you're in California then the revolver would need to be transferred through a dealer. It doesn't matter if someone from Arizona sends it or whether you wanted to buy the same revolver from another California resident.

      Comment

      • #4
        crunchy2k
        Banned
        • Apr 2007
        • 133

        Don't ever use a cal 01ffl for transfers of c&r pistols. If u can't drive out and buy it, u don't need it..

        Originally posted by TonyNorCal
        If you're in Arizona and have a C&R you can purchase the C&R revolver and bring it back to California. You then must report your purchase to the DOJ within 5 days using this form (and you also get to pay $19 for the priviledge of exercising your 2A rights)..



        If you're in California then the revolver would need to be transferred through a dealer. It doesn't matter if someone from Arizona sends it or whether you wanted to buy the same revolver from another California resident.

        Comment

        • #5
          pogo
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 588

          Originally posted by Rob P.
          I am interested in antique firearms....
          Good info from all about the C&Rs, and the pre-1899 antique arms are something else entirely, they can ship to your door no hassle, no problem w/o a license.

          Comment

          • #6
            Rob P.
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 1223

            So, I have this right then.

            1) I can drive to another State, file a copy of my C&R with the shop, buy and take home qualifying arms?

            2) I can have qualifying handguns shipped to an 01FFL inside Cal (and don't have to wait the 10 days before pickup?) but I still gotta pay the "normal" fees? Qualifying long guns can be shipped direct to my door?

            3) I can get great discounts at places like MidwayUSA, Cabelas, etc.

            4) I can brag that I have a FFL to impress those who don't

            5) Anything else?

            Comment

            • #7
              TonyNorCal
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2004
              • 8047

              1) I can drive to another State, file a copy of my C&R with the shop, buy and take home qualifying arms?

              ~Yes. The caveat here would be that they must also be CA-compliant* (posted below). So, for example you can't bring back a Yugo 59/66 with grenade launcher. But for most C&R firearms this isn't an issue.

              If you purchase a C&R long gun out of state you just bring it back. That's it.
              If it's a handgun then you send that form I linked above within 5 days.

              You may find that some shops won't sell to you being from California.



              2) I can have qualifying handguns shipped to an 01FFL inside Cal (and don't have to wait the 10 days before pickup?) but I still gotta pay the "normal" fees? Qualifying long guns can be shipped direct to my door?

              ~Qualifying handguns (greater than 50 years) can be shipped to your FFL dealer. You then DROS and wait 10 days. An exception can be had if you have a C&R and a Certificate of Eligibility* (issued by the state). If you have both then you still have to DROS, but you can carry home that day (no 10 day wait). Of course, not every CA FFL is aware of this and it may take you showing them them the regs.

              Long guns greater than 50 years and without banned features can be shipped to your door.


              3) I can get great discounts at places like MidwayUSA, Cabelas, etc.

              ~Yes, and some of these are pretty decent discounts.

              4) I can brag that I have a FFL to impress those who don't

              ~LOL

              5) Anything else?

              ~With a C&R + COE combo you can cash and carry ANY C&R firearm from a CA dealer's inventory. You still DROS, but no 10 day wait. This exception is only from a CA dealer. This is only when buying/transferring from a CA dealer.


              So as far as getting a COE you have to decide whether not having a 10 day wait is worth the fees and fingerprinting involved.


              --

              COE



              CA Compliant (Section 12276.1)

              a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

              (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

              (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

              (B) A thumbhole stock.

              (C) A folding or telescoping stock.

              (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

              (E) A flash suppressor.

              (F) A forward pistol grip.

              (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

              (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

              (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

              (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

              (B) A second handgrip.

              (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

              (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

              (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

              (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

              (A) A folding or telescoping stock.

              (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

              (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

              (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
              Last edited by TonyNorCal; 01-01-2008, 4:49 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                hoffmang
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Apr 2006
                • 18448

                Also a C&R and a COE will allow you to purchase more than 1 handgun per month which I never expected to use as much as I do...

                I like to remind friends that I'm a federally licensed gun nut!

                -Gene
                Gene Hoffman
                Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

                DONATE NOW
                to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
                Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
                I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


                "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

                Comment

                • #9
                  Boomer1961
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 768

                  Originally posted by Rob P.
                  So, I have this right then.

                  4) I can brag that I have a FFL to impress those who don't

                  Ya, thats the most important one.

                  A real chick magnet at the water cooler as your femal co-workers wet their panties when they hear this and follow you back to your office cubicle for a quickie. Only problem is your boss gets suspiciousl with a dozen figidy and agitated female workers standing in line at your office cubicle entrance.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    troyus
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 1037

                    So If I do not have a C&R, I *CAN* purchase an out of state handgun that is 50 years of age or older and have it shipped to a local FFL?
                    "War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. Only a small 'inside' group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

                    - Smedley D. Butler

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Wonderwhippet
                      Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 367

                      Since the $10 yearly charge for a COE was raised to $30, I gave mine up. It is not worth an extra $30 to me to get immediate delivery. Also, when I buy my C&R guns from California dealers I don't use my C&R license, just like an ordinary private citizen. Why deal with C&R paperwork for no reason?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        M. D. Van Norman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2002
                        • 4168

                        Originally posted by troyus
                        So If I do not have a C&R, I *CAN* purchase an out of state handgun that is 50 years of age or older and have it shipped to a local FFL?
                        Yes, and you can also buy a younger handgun if it is on the C&R list.
                        Matthew D. Van Norman
                        Dancing Giant Sales | Licensed Firearms Dealer | Rainier, WA

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          troyus
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 1037

                          Originally posted by M. D. Van Norman
                          Yes, and you can also buy a younger handgun if it is on the C&R list.
                          Man I cannot make heads or tales of these C&R handgun rules and this list.. are the S&W 25-2 revolvers eligible?
                          "War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. Only a small 'inside' group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

                          - Smedley D. Butler

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            liketoshoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 3810

                            So let me see;
                            for c&r hand guns you still must DROS them in Ca.
                            50+ y/old Rifles you can cash and carry younger you need to DROS

                            to much to think about, I'll have another beer.
                            sigpic
                            Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              M. D. Van Norman
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 4168

                              Matthew D. Van Norman
                              Dancing Giant Sales | Licensed Firearms Dealer | Rainier, WA

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1