Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tokarev dilema

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Raptor3000
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 2837

    Tokarev dilema

    Hi Guys,

    Want to buy Polish Tokarev, Romanian Tokarev and Nagant Revolver. Looks like century arms have all 3 of them in stock and Classic arms have Tokarevs, both polish and romanian.

    My question is where do i buy Tokarevs Classic or Century? Who has good ones? and also classic arms mentions on their site that Romanian Tokarevs that they have do not have after production safety ("These have a factory safety instead of an after production add on and the lines and fit are just cleaner"). Does it mean that they do not have the thumb safety thats installed by importers?

    Does any one bought Nagant Revolver from century? how are the bores?

    Whats are my options for Nagant Revolver? J&G does not have good ones, good bore ones are all sold out.


    Please advice

    Thanks
  • #2
    mdouglas1980
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 871

    I haven't bought Tok's from Classic but I have ordered several Mosin Nagants and when they have been in really good shape. Even the ones that I didn't order with hand select; their descriptions are pretty good and honest for what you order.

    Do you have a C&R? I don't know if Century will sell to you unless you have a licensed account with them? Centuries prices are also a little bit higher than Classic's as well; I think if you went for "hand select" on anything that you ordered from Classic you'll be happy. I know I was :-)
    Although Classic's shipping can take a little while...I order a mosin and it didn't ship out until a week after I ordered it...

    Comment

    • #3
      mdouglas1980
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 871

      I haven't bought Tok's from Classic but I have ordered several Mosin Nagants and when they have been in really good shape. Even the ones that I didn't order with hand select; their descriptions are pretty good and honest for what you order.

      Do you have a C&R? I don't know if Century will sell to you unless you have a licensed account with them? Centuries prices are also a little bit higher than Classic's as well; I think if you went for "hand select" on anything that you ordered from Classic you'll be happy. I know I was :-)
      Although Classic's shipping can take a little while...I order a mosin and it didn't ship out until a week after I ordered it...

      Comment

      • #4
        Fate
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2006
        • 9545

        Originally posted by Raptor3000
        classic arms mentions on their site that Romanian Tokarevs that they have do not have after production safety ("These have a factory safety instead of an after production add on and the lines and fit are just cleaner"). Does it mean that they do not have the thumb safety thats installed by importers?
        Romanian TT-33's have a thumb safety. It was part of the factory design. All other recently imported TT-33's had to have a safety added prior to import (including Russian WWII/postwar dated TT-33's). The only Tokarevs without a safety are bringbacks or pre '68 imports.

        I don't know the answers to your other questions, except that finding a Nagant revolver on the secondhand market might be easier.
        sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

        "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
        , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

        Comment

        • #5
          Raptor3000
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 2837

          Yes, i do have a C&R license.

          Are Romanian and Polish very different Toks or they are one and the same?

          thanks

          Comment

          • #6
            trashman
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2006
            • 3824

            Originally posted by Raptor3000
            classic arms mentions on their site that Romanian Tokarevs that they have do not have after production safety ("These have a factory safety instead of an after production add on and the lines and fit are just cleaner"). Does it mean that they do not have the thumb safety thats installed by importers?
            So I recently acquired a Polish Tokarev (as well as a Nagant revolver, more on that in a second) from Classic Arms. I actually called them up and asked them about the safety on the Romanian Tokarev, and they confirmed it's the add-on safety just behind the trigger - not the later 1911-style factory safety sometimes found on the Yugos. So I bought a Polish one instead, and I am very, very happy with it. The safety has positive engagement "on" and "off" - it's a quality install that did not involve removal of grip material to "fit" it. I have not shot it yet, but I'll post back in this thread when I do if it turns out to be a problem.

            For ~$200 it's a toss-up -- I kinda wish I'd bought a Romanian one too, but ... can't keep 'em all...

            I am also very happy with my Nagant - the bore is a little dark, but didn't have any pitting. Oh, and I got a 1936 "Tula"-stamped specimen even without the "hand select" fee.

            --Neill


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              trashman
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2006
              • 3824

              Originally posted by Raptor3000
              Are Romanian and Polish very different Toks or they are one and the same?

              thanks
              They are a little different - the Polish Tokarevs have "scalloped" slide serrations, while the Romanian ones have standard straight grooved slide serrations.

              I have read that the Polish Tokarevs have much better fitment, but frankly, it's kind of like arguing over which AK manufacturer is "better". They are surplus Eastern Bloc pistols from 50+ years ago that were made using a borrowed/stolen/modified design from Browning and/or Colt.

              They are really nifty, but they are not Registered Magnums...

              --Neill
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Raptor3000
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 2837

                Thanks Neill, I wanted to get both Romanian and Polish because soon or later i will have the itch to get the other one i did not buy. Its better to get both and save on shipping and transfer

                As far as my research goes, only Century have excellent condition Nagant revolvers, dont know what excellent means in Century's dictionary.

                I will call them on Monday and see if Century can give me some info.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Don the savage
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 2094

                  Tokarov safety huh. Mine had one for about five rounds until the clip that held the pos on came off and it fell off. I havent missed it except for the ugly groove that was machined into the frame where it was supposed to be. Stupid import laws.
                  I support peace through superior firepower.
                  "Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

                  Originally posted by rsrocket1
                  Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    trashman
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 3824

                    Originally posted by Raptor3000
                    As far as my research goes, only Century have excellent condition Nagant revolvers, dont know what excellent means in Century's dictionary.
                    Classic Arms has them in "excellent" condition, and that's certainly what mine was. I think they have all been re-arsenaled AFAIK - from all importers, so finding one in "excellent ORIGINAL finish" condition is going to be tough. For $99 though...

                    My experience with Century Arms is that they tend to be a tad generous with grading - not just with C&R - sort of the opposite of CMP or J&G sales.

                    --Neill
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Raptor3000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 2837

                      Classic arms have sold out all Nagant Revolvers, i will call them on Mon and check if they are going to get some more.

                      Any one has bought Nagant revolvers from Century?

                      thanks
                      Last edited by Raptor3000; 04-14-2012, 11:37 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        trashman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 3824

                        SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) has what appear to be "excellents" in stock right now. You need to have your C&R on file with them before they will give you a dealer account (so you can see what is in stock with prices) but they've got Romanian and Yugo Tokarevs as of this morning, too...

                        --Neill
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Raptor3000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 2837

                          Now i am debating whether to get just one polish tokarev or both polish and romanian :-)

                          I will not be shooting these a lot, they are for my collection. What do you guys think?

                          Is it worth getting both while they are avaiable? or just waste of money :-)


                          thanks

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JAGGUY
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 1548

                            Get them both plus a Yugo.
                            Soon they will be gone like the CZ52 that use to be $119 3 years ago...
                            I'm happy I got them back when they were really cheap.
                            1A-2A=-1A

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Raptor3000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 2837

                              Originally posted by JAGGUY
                              Get them both plus a Yugo.
                              Soon they will be gone like the CZ52 that use to be $119 3 years ago...
                              I'm happy I got them back when they were really cheap.
                              Thanks man

                              How's the recoil on Tokarev? is it anything like CZ-82?

                              thanks
                              Last edited by Raptor3000; 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1