Hello ladies & gentlemen,
I've been shooting this little SKS paratrooper for about a year now, and I've decided the time has come to do a little preventative maintenance. You see..
The magazine and barrel/gas tube both seemed to have been reblacked once upon a time with poor preparation.. meaning I'm finding some fairly deep seeded rust spots. Now I've since cleaned it up with some naval jelly and light grit paper. I shoot it frequently in it's silver/black half-blacked state, and just keep it pretty well lubed. Problem is both the gas tube and magazine still gather some dust-rust when stored in it's silicone sleeve for even as little as a month. No pitting after jelly cleanup either fortunately, the thing just needs to be recolored for longevity sake, and I'd like some confirmation/input before I go ahead, because I'd really like to preserve this rifle's quality. It's not perfect, but it's a norinco para with all matching parts and a 1:8 twist that hits whatever the eye desires out to about 100 yards.
So to sum it up:
It seems I'll have to get the barrel/gas tube reblacked professionally yes? With the bayo lug and windage parts I don't believe I could achieve precision as an amateur. Is a duracoat/other paint process acceptable for a super hot desert rifle's barrel/gas tube?
Second, would it be legit to simply prep/primer/duracoat the magazine's outer shell? Not too worried about heat in there. The magazine turns freakin brown monthly so if it's as simple as that I could at least start such a project today.
Thanks for your time everyone.
I've been shooting this little SKS paratrooper for about a year now, and I've decided the time has come to do a little preventative maintenance. You see..
The magazine and barrel/gas tube both seemed to have been reblacked once upon a time with poor preparation.. meaning I'm finding some fairly deep seeded rust spots. Now I've since cleaned it up with some naval jelly and light grit paper. I shoot it frequently in it's silver/black half-blacked state, and just keep it pretty well lubed. Problem is both the gas tube and magazine still gather some dust-rust when stored in it's silicone sleeve for even as little as a month. No pitting after jelly cleanup either fortunately, the thing just needs to be recolored for longevity sake, and I'd like some confirmation/input before I go ahead, because I'd really like to preserve this rifle's quality. It's not perfect, but it's a norinco para with all matching parts and a 1:8 twist that hits whatever the eye desires out to about 100 yards.
So to sum it up:
It seems I'll have to get the barrel/gas tube reblacked professionally yes? With the bayo lug and windage parts I don't believe I could achieve precision as an amateur. Is a duracoat/other paint process acceptable for a super hot desert rifle's barrel/gas tube?
Second, would it be legit to simply prep/primer/duracoat the magazine's outer shell? Not too worried about heat in there. The magazine turns freakin brown monthly so if it's as simple as that I could at least start such a project today.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Comment