Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Arisaka bayonet question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zhyla
    Banned
    • Aug 2009
    • 2017

    Arisaka bayonet question

    So I won this ebay auction at a fairly low bid ($50) with no competing bids last night. I don't know that much about the Type 30 bayonets, just wanted one to go with my Type 99 rifle. Is the plated scabbard normal? Seems odd.

    I'm a little suspicious that I don't know something I should. Either that or I was the only person not watching the superbowl yesterday. The price is great and I'm happy with the condition in the photos, just seems fishy.





  • #2
    Geologyjohn
    Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 249

    Its an old Japanese Type 30 bayonet. Appropriate for both the Type 38 rifle and the Type 99 rifle. That early style is very common and typically sells for around $75., if all correct
    It should not be chrome plated. Can you imagine soldiers going into battle with chrome plated gear? Bubba got to it after the war.

    Comment

    • #3
      zhyla
      Banned
      • Aug 2009
      • 2017

      So his story about it being a "rare plated scabbard" probably not so accurate .

      I'm hoping the blade hasn't also been chromed, those from the lousy pics I think it probably is. I see some shiny Type 30 bayonets and some dark, not sure if some were blued and some weren't? Starting to regret this purchase... I really just wanted something cheap and rough to match the rifle itself.

      Comment

      • #4
        Vlad 11
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 2961

        Kind of looks to me that the scabbard has had the finish buffed off. Hard to tell with the blade.

        Chalk it up as a lesson. Hopefully you can get your money out of it and spent another $25.
        You should be able to find a decent one non-boinked @ 75 as said before

        Comment

        • #5
          Sampachi
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2007
          • 812

          There are a lot more Chinese fakes out on the market these days. Even fakes from India. From the pictures you posted, I can't really tell. Blade looks dinged up and scabbard is not correct.

          Comment

          • #6
            Geologyjohn
            Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 249

            The scabbard IS correct, just post war chrome plated. There were a variety of Type 30 bayonet scabbards during the War (and pre-War). The scabbard shown is the correct one for this early style blade.

            Comment

            • #7
              Paulie Lugnuts
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 1756

              Here's a pic of ours. My son bought it and I believe its correct for our T99.
              Because milsurp.

              Comment

              • #8
                zhyla
                Banned
                • Aug 2009
                • 2017

                Thanks guys. Rather than cancel the purchase I think I'm just going to see how it is when it gets here. It was after all only $50, at that price I'd be happy with no scabbard. Those pictures couldn't be blurrier though, hope there are no surprises...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Spiggy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 8688

                  I think you should get some clearer photos. The pictures only show a type 30 bayonet, not so much the details that matter (such as condition, markings, and even the mystery behind the "chrome" scabbard)

                  Type 30's came in a lot of different variations due to their long manufacturing time. Practices in manufacturing change as upgrades, simplification, and shortcuts start taking effect.

                  Very least, a decent wall hanger.

                  Personally, I could use an additional original scabbard in my collection. I have one with the head ripped out from when it was forcibly removed from it's leatherware.
                  Originally posted by AJAX22
                  Anti gun BS...

                  Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cummins_Powered
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 548

                    Originally posted by Paulie Lugnuts
                    Here's a pic of ours. My son bought it and I believe its correct for our T99.


                    Looks exactly like the one i have for my type 99, which my grandfather brought back from the pacific.
                    Now we know!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sampachi
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 812

                      Originally posted by Geologyjohn
                      The scabbard IS correct, just post war chrome plated. There were a variety of Type 30 bayonet scabbards during the War (and pre-War). The scabbard shown is the correct one for this early style blade.
                      I'm not entirely sure it is correct for that particular arsenal. I know that is splitting hairs, but some collectors really get into it.

                      I would keep it. You really don't see bayonets going for $50 anymore, even at flea markets and garage sales. I did come across a $20 pole bayonet last year, but I think that was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        marysdad
                        Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 153

                        Chromed WW II souvenir items, bayonets, scabbards, Lugers, etc. are very common, because every decent sized US town used to have a bumper shop that did chrome plating. I'd just keep it as-is and not worry about it. If you want a blued scabbard, that's a good reason to pick up another bayonet.
                        worldbayonets.comFollow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          zhyla
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2017

                          Ok, bayonet showed up today. Some pics below. There is a serial number on the pommel and some other random numbers on the tang on both sides. There are also some Japanese symbols on the tang in the middle on the side with the "8", but I'd need to set up some better lighting to get any kind of photo of them.

                          The condition is ok, for $50 at least. The wood is intact and nothing is really pitted or anything. The hilt is actually shiny where it meets the scabbard, I assume it spent most of its time in the scabbard. The blade has a lot of black spots that feel rough. Some of it rubbed off but I haven't put much effort into it, just gave everything a gentle cleaning and oiled it. Any idea what these black spots are? It's not rust colored.

                          Any suggestions on cleaning the inside of the scabbard? I'm concerned there's rusty spots in it that will further stain the blade. I'm thinking hose it out with brake cleaner and then oil it really good.





                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1