Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M44 Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • OHOD
    I need a LIFE!!
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 11047

    M44 Problem

    Went to the range to shoot my Hungarian M44.

    I've shot it once before without a problem, today I had a problem.

    First round:
    Cambered round and noticed the bolt feels like it is compressing the round at the very last 1/4 inch. As if I am compressing something, real soft like.
    Fired the round, the shell got stuck in the chamber.

    Tried a different brand of ammo, same thing.

    Since I didn't have cleaning equipment with me (not next time though), I couldn't clean out the chamber. Range master popped the spent cartridge for me. He said he used a little force.

    Flash forward to home.

    Cleaned the heck out of the thing. Scrubbed the chamber, scrubbed the bore, scrubbed till the cows came home.
    Chambered a SPENT round (just the shell) to see if the compressing thing went away. Nope. Shell still got stuck.

    Looking at the bolt face and ejector, I don't see an obvious problem.

    Suggestions?
    sigpic

    INGSOC comes to America.
    Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

    Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
    A time of innocence, A time of confidences
    Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
    Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    Did you change the type of ammo you use?

    Or are you sure the chamber does not have something stuck to it's walls or near the neck?
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      SoCal Bob
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 5354

      Have you used this same ammo in this same M44 before without any problems? Do you have any other ammo to try to rule out an ammo issue?

      Comment

      • #4
        SVT-40
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2008
        • 12907

        The only other thing I can think of is that somehow your bolt is not properly put together. So maybe you should take it apart then reassemble....
        Poke'm with a stick!


        Originally posted by fiddletown
        What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

        Comment

        • #5
          OHOD
          I need a LIFE!!
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2009
          • 11047

          Silly me. Spent casings are larger in diameter than live rounds. Duh

          A correctly sized casing fits easily.

          Not about to put a live round in there at home.
          sigpic

          INGSOC comes to America.
          Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

          Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
          A time of innocence, A time of confidences
          Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
          Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

          Comment

          • #6
            DannyInSoCal
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2010
            • 8271

            Disassemble the bolt and give a good boiling water soak....
            .
            $500 Donation to any Veterans Charity - Plus $500 Gift Card to any gun store: Visit 2nd Amendment Mortgage / www.2AMortgage.com

            Comment

            • #7
              OHOD
              I need a LIFE!!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2009
              • 11047

              I pulled another bolt from another rifle and tried it in the M44.
              No go. Still will not eject the shell even after I filed down a spent casing so that it fits into the chamber easily.

              Noticed that the ejector is closer to the bolt face on the bolt as compared to my other bolt by about .006.
              I don't know if that is enough to prevent the ejector from going over the cartridge rim.
              sigpic

              INGSOC comes to America.
              Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

              Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
              A time of innocence, A time of confidences
              Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
              Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

              Comment

              • #8
                OniKoroshi
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2011
                • 1321

                Is the extractor flush on the back side of the bolt head? Have you rechecked headspace?

                Comment

                • #9
                  rodngun762
                  Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 276

                  You know what, I have never been able to figure this out. I have a M44, two M91/30s, and an M39 and have NEVER been able to shoot them as I always get this same problem.

                  I have been shooting primarily czech silver tip but I have also tried other ammo to no positive result. Wolf didn't work either. I have also cleaned the chamber with the shotgun brush technique too.

                  So I have just gave up on shooting my mosins and instead just shoot the mausers when I'm feeling like some milsurp.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OHOD
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 11047

                    Originally posted by OniKoroshi
                    Is the extractor flush on the back side of the bolt head? Have you rechecked headspace?
                    I don't have a headspace gauge.
                    How can I check it without one?

                    The extractor appears flush with the bolt head, but the cartridge doesn't sit flat on the bolt face. Opposite of the extractor, the cartridge rim is slightly raised above the bolt head when the cartridge is clipped under the extractor.

                    On my other bolt, the cartridge is flush and perpendicular.
                    sigpic

                    INGSOC comes to America.
                    Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

                    Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
                    A time of innocence, A time of confidences
                    Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
                    Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      OHOD
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 11047

                      Originally posted by rodngun762
                      You know what, I have never been able to figure this out. I have a M44, two M91/30s, and an M39 and have NEVER been able to shoot them as I always get this same problem.

                      I have been shooting primarily czech silver tip but I have also tried other ammo to no positive result. Wolf didn't work either. I have also cleaned the chamber with the shotgun brush technique too.

                      So I have just gave up on shooting my mosins and instead just shoot the mausers when I'm feeling like some milsurp.
                      Maybe we can solve this problem so that you can shoot your guns.
                      sigpic

                      INGSOC comes to America.
                      Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

                      Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
                      A time of innocence, A time of confidences
                      Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
                      Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Vlad 11
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 2961

                        Hard to tell without looking at your bolt but it seems that maybe the extractor got pushed in a bit. Perhaps a bit of debris was in the extractor slot in the chamber and crammed the extractor in.

                        Good on not fooling with live rounds...
                        For the future -- have a reloader buddy make you 5 dummy rounds for function testing / snapcapping / flinging cartridges across the living room safely

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mosinnagantm9130
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2009
                          • 8783

                          Is the extractor is bent? That could explain it not being able to get over the lip of the rim.
                          Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                          My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                          Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                          Originally posted by ChopperX
                          I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                          Originally posted by Jeff L
                          Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            OniKoroshi
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2011
                            • 1321

                            Pics of suspect bolt head would help.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Paulie Lugnuts
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 1756

                              Is your other bolt from another rifle? Does it work OK in that gun?
                              Because milsurp.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1