Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New Garand - Oh Yeah!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dixieD
    • Jun 2006
    • 2654

    New Garand - Oh Yeah!

    Hi,
    I am back to atone for my sin of posting no photos of my new to me Garand.

    Last month my service grade Garand was delivered. It is a post-war Springfield Armory production (serial number 54145XX) with a 1964 barrel and a rebuild date of 1/65. I think the fit and finish is superb, much better than my expectations. Metal wear is minimal, and the lockup with the stock is extremely tight. The stock is dinged up, but has nice grain and that weathered been around the block look. I will keep it as is. The gas cylinder has some play so I will probably try to shim it up later. The rifle shoots 2 to 3 MOA with Greek surplus. I am very happy with it as I was hoping for a shooter. I replaced the birch front handguard it came with with a well used walnut one that I obtained at the Cow Palace show.

    I really want to attend some Garand matches now. Any information that folks have regarding such matches in the Bay Area is greatly appreciated.

    Let me know what you think.
    Best
    Doug

    PICS FOLLOW (unfortunately I cannot shoot pictures of the Garand as well as I can shoot it)





    The muzzle is clean with no nicks or other damage


    Last edited by dixieD; 12-02-2007, 3:43 PM.
    As Einstein has shown that it takes infinite energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light, Obama AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE will demonstrate that it takes infinite money to attain utopia
  • #2
    NRAhighpowershooter
    Super Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jun 2003
    • 6485

    HHHmmm... did someone say Garand matches??? I be da right person to talk to!

    I run the Garand matches at Chabot Rifle Range and help out at the Richmond Rifle Ranges Garand matches. Basically both ranges have 3 matches a year. I'll be posting Chabots Garand matches for next year sometime next week (as soon as I get the calander ok from the head honcho at Chabot) Richmond will be announcing their schedule right after the first of the year. Also.. if you want to travel an hour or so.. Sac Valley has a JCG matches as well and has their 2008 schedule posted now.
    'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

    Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

    Comment

    • #3
      dixieD
      • Jun 2006
      • 2654

      Originally posted by NRAhighpowershooter
      HHHmmm... did someone say Garand matches??? I be da right person to talk to!

      I run the Garand matches at Chabot Rifle Range and help out at the Richmond Rifle Ranges Garand matches. Basically both ranges have 3 matches a year. I'll be posting Chabots Garand matches for next year sometime next week (as soon as I get the calander ok from the head honcho at Chabot) Richmond will be announcing their schedule right after the first of the year. Also.. if you want to travel an hour or so.. Sac Valley has a JCG matches as well and has their 2008 schedule posted now.
      Excellent. I will be looking for your posts. In the Garand match do I need to have a two-round clip or any other non-standard equipment?

      Best
      Doug
      As Einstein has shown that it takes infinite energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light, Obama AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE will demonstrate that it takes infinite money to attain utopia

      Comment

      • #4
        metalhead357
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2006
        • 5546

        Originally posted by dixieD
        Excellent. I will be looking for your posts. In the Garand match do I need to have a two-round clip or any other non-standard equipment?

        Best
        Doug
        they help but are not essential...NRA beat me to the punch in telling you to talk to him!!!!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
        I am not a number! I am a free man

        1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
        2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
        3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1