Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

mosin nagant

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SinisterBud
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 273

    mosin nagant

    So i bought a mosin nagant from big 5 today and the date said 1934 but had to be wrong as it has a round receiver. What year did they start this. I hope i didn't read this wrong because i was really hoping for a pre ww2 one.
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."
  • #2
    paul0660
    In Memoriam
    • Jul 2007
    • 15669

    That is about right. There was some overlap round vs. hex.

    They certainly weren't going to mark it earlier than they made it. If so, you have a rare collectable worth..........oh............$200!
    *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

    Comment

    • #3
      SinisterBud
      Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 273

      Thanks for me its not about being worth alot just wanted a pre ww2 as they didn't have to be pumped out fast for the war. Was just hoping for a little better built.
      Last edited by SinisterBud; 11-25-2011, 5:42 PM.
      "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

      Comment

      • #4
        jharr
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 67

        Congrats on the purchase. Not many of us are really "investors". If we were, we wouldn't be buying rifles that were cranked out by the millions. I think that is what Paul was alluding to. Still, it is a good rifle and you now belong to a good group of people that care about historic, if not rare items. That thing has probably been to hell and back. It deserves a nice long retirement from the rigors of war. Shoot it well, keep it clean. Enjoy it.

        Oh, and post us some pics. Each one is alike and each one is unique.
        " Lk 22:36

        Comment

        • #5
          SinisterBud
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 273

          I love history so it will go well with both my yugo sks's and i just love guns in general all different kinds. I do own a lot of guns been meaning to buy one these for awhile now. Now that im done building my AR i can focus on different things now. I am vary happy to own one of these.
          Last edited by SinisterBud; 11-25-2011, 6:21 PM.
          "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

          Comment

          • #6
            mauser98k
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 819

            Tula started with round receivers in 1936, Izhevsk in 1935.

            however, "recycled" receivers are not unheard of. these are older receivers paired to new WWII era everything else

            Comment

            • #7
              SinisterBud
              Member
              • Feb 2011
              • 273

              i understand that but wouldn't that mean there is no 1934 with a round receivers because any thing before 35 would be hex "recycled" receivers from 34 and blow should be hex right.
              Last edited by SinisterBud; 11-25-2011, 6:41 PM.
              "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

              Comment

              • #8
                Mssr. Eleganté
                Blue Blaze Irregular
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 10401

                Originally posted by SinisterBud
                i understand that but wouldn't that mean there is no 1934 with a round receivers because any thing before 35 would be hex "recycled" receivers from 34 and blow should be hex right.
                That's right. So either the rifle you bought was really a "hex" receiver and you didn't notice, or you read the date wrong.
                __________________

                "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                Comment

                • #9
                  Flyin Brian
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 3395

                  That's right. So either the rifle you bought was really a "hex" receiver and you didn't notice, or you read the date wrong.
                  or it was put together in 1935 with a left over barrel from 1934. Of course we are all just guessing until the OP gets it home and takes it apart to see what the tang date is and verify the barrel date.
                  NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

                  I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

                  Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
                  I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SinisterBud
                    Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 273

                    thanks guys im thinking i read the date wrong i just hope its a 36 to 40 for pre ww2 so in 11 days i get back to u guys on this. U guys have been vary helpful. either way i will be happy to have a part of history
                    "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SinisterBud
                      Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 273

                      Ok got my mosin today its from 1938 and now how do i tell where it was made. This thing is like new no marks on the stock nice grain the bolt looks like it never has been used and all matching #. I am vary happy with it.
                      "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mosinnagantm9130
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2009
                        • 8783

                        Originally posted by SinisterBud
                        Ok got my mosin today its from 1938 and now how do i tell where it was made. This thing is like new no marks on the stock nice grain the bolt looks like it never has been used and all matching #. I am vary happy with it.
                        If the barrel shank has my avatar (minus the santa hat) and a triangle with an arrow in it, it's an Izhevsk. If it has a big star with an arrow in it, it's a Tula.

                        Pics??
                        Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                        My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                        Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                        Originally posted by ChopperX
                        I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                        Originally posted by Jeff L
                        Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dotalchemy
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 958

                          Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
                          If the barrel shank has my avatar (minus the santa hat) and a triangle with an arrow in it, it's an Izhevsk. If it has a big star with an arrow in it, it's a Tula.

                          Pics??
                          Tula stamped with the Soviet crest for a short time, around 1928 I think.
                          1928 Tula 91/30 | 1944 Izhevsk M44 | As yet unknown 91/30 and M44 - still in the box | 1976 Walther P-1
                          ...Daddy, what else did you leave for me?

                          "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mosinnagantm9130
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2009
                            • 8783

                            Originally posted by dotalchemy
                            Tula stamped with the Soviet crest for a short time, around 1928 I think.
                            This is true, but they only stamped it on the receiver, not the barrel shank. Also, he said his is a 1938, by that time Izhevsk was the only one using the Soviet crest.
                            Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                            My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                            Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                            Originally posted by ChopperX
                            I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                            Originally posted by Jeff L
                            Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SinisterBud
                              Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 273

                              it's an Izhevsk
                              "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1