Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New Lithgow No 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mustang
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 5075

    New Lithgow No 1

    I recently won a Lithgow N01 at an on-line auction, dated 1942 and in pretty good shape. Looks like it has been FTR'd and has a great bore. I can't find any import mark.

    Here are some pics...
    Last edited by Mustang; 09-08-2014, 7:54 AM.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
  • #2
    Mustang
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 5075

    Nosecap is odd..no bayo lug or small round "thingy" in front


    Marked "BA", as are a number of small parts.

    A few other pics..


    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

    Comment

    • #3
      billybob_jcv
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 1507

      Fabulous! I would love to have *any* Enfield!
      He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

      I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
      -Milton Friedman

      What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
      -Woody Allen, Sleepers

      Comment

      • #4
        bruceflinch
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 40155

        Some nice looking wood, ya got! no homo.

        I would like another SMLE. I know where there are 4 closeby for $250-300. But I'm trying to save for a M1917 rifle! ARGH!!!
        Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

        I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

        Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

        Secret Club Member?.

        Comment

        • #5
          billybob_jcv
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 1507

          Full-length stocks are so cool!
          He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

          I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
          -Milton Friedman

          What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
          -Woody Allen, Sleepers

          Comment

          • #6
            rojocorsa
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2008
            • 9139

            Lee-Enfield Pride!

            Yay.

            That is a very nice looking rifle, but I had never seen any sans the bayo lug or the round thingy.
            sigpic
            7-6-2 FTMFW!

            "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

            Comment

            • #7
              glennsche
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 1831

              fabulous looking stock.

              just a word of caution from my own experience: i bought a lithgow off a fellow calgunner and the old coachwood stock just came apart the second time we took it out. not sure if the rounds are hotter now from then or if it was just bound to happen to mine or what... but be gentle with her if that's original coachwood, which is softer than what the brits used for theirs during ww1.

              if you strip the stock, you'll see under the stock some extra little pads which are to help absorb shock. if you see those, you're probably original and wanna be super careful. i had to restock mine.

              absolutely fantastic looking rifle, congrats!
              "If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."

              "I'm over you." -Citadelgrad87

              Comment

              • #8
                mosinnagantm9130
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2009
                • 8783

                Is this your first LE? Cause lithgow is a good choice! I love my No.4.
                Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                Originally posted by ChopperX
                I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                Originally posted by Jeff L
                Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SVT-40
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 12911

                  The "A arrow F" on the front left of the receiver is the markings for the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force)

                  For what ever reason the bayonet lug has been removed....

                  Use these scans to translate the marks on your rifle.

                  Poke'm with a stick!


                  Originally posted by fiddletown
                  What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mustang
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 5075

                    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. And I appreciate the scans, SVT-40. I'll go over the rifle with the information.
                    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mustang
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 5075

                      Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
                      Is this your first LE? Cause lithgow is a good choice! I love my No.4.
                      Thanks, mosin.

                      This isn't my first LE. In fact, I got a nice looking No.4 MK II last week at another auction. Still waiting for it to arrive. Here are the auction pics:
                      Last edited by Mustang; 09-08-2014, 7:55 AM.
                      ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mosinnagantm9130
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2009
                        • 8783

                        That's a nice one, is it an Irish contract No.4 by any chance?
                        Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                        My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                        Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                        Originally posted by ChopperX
                        I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                        Originally posted by Jeff L
                        Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          smle-man
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 10606

                          I've never seen a #1 nose cap like the one on your rifle. Strange!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            eighteenninetytwo
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1545

                            Strange indeed. Never heard of that. Will check my reference books.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mustang
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 5075

                              Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
                              That's a nice one, is it an Irish contract No.4 by any chance?
                              I believe that this is a "UF" series rifle. . The "Irish contract" No.4's were a "PF" prefix and ran from PF309348 - PF359347

                              I happen to nab an Irish contract No.4 a few years ago that came with a matching serial numbered bayo.
                              Last edited by Mustang; 09-08-2014, 7:55 AM.
                              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1