Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

antique pistol

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • five.five-six
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 34928

    antique pistol

    I have a neighbor that owes me $50, she has late 1800's pinfire .32 revolver that she want's to give me. it is prety beat up. I do not know if it is registered to her... though I doubt it, somthing about her father buying a house and finding it in a can of paint that was in the garage before she was born

    Is there any way for me to legally take possession
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    As long as it was made before 1899, it is considered an "antique arm" and there is no need to "register" it, PPT it, or anything else! Most pinfires aren't worth much but, if you decide to take it instead of the $50 and then decide to sell it, I'm interested in getting a cheap pinfire for displaying at Civil War re-enactments.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      AJAX22
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2006
      • 14980

      pinfire guns have not been made in this century, and the ammo is not available through commercial channels and so is not a firearm under state or federal law.

      If its a matter of 50 bucks, I'd go for it.

      you can always sell it to one of us if you don't like it.
      Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

      Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

      Comment

      • #4
        five.five-six
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2006
        • 34928

        thanks, that is what I thought, just was not sure since it is a handgun. I will never see the $50 so I will take what I can get , just not sure if it would be worth it if I had to drose

        Comment

        • #5
          AJAX22
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2006
          • 14980

          let me know if you ever decide its not your thing...

          I've been known to go for obscure toys now and then
          Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

          Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

          Comment

          • #6
            jmlivingston
            Moderator Emeritus
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2005
            • 5095

            Originally posted by AJAX22
            pinfire guns have not been made in this century
            so, they haven't been made since 1999 huh?

            John

            Comment

            • #7
              five.five-six
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2006
              • 34928

              Originally posted by AJAX22
              let me know if you ever decide its not your thing...

              I've been known to go for obscure toys now and then
              it will be a save queen,, a beat one. there is no triger gaurd, the triger folds forward. the cylinder is very ornaite. the extractor is missing. I will post a photo later. it is prety rough

              Comment

              • #8
                AJAX22
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2006
                • 14980

                the french were big fans of the folding spur trigger.

                I know a guy who can get ammo for them but it'll probably be around 25$ a shot (and If you tell him you're not going to collect it in an air tight container carefully labled and preserved for posterity he's apt to throw things at you... I bought some 32 rimfire from him once, then told him I'd shot some of it through my H&R young american bulldog...)

                I'm looking forward to seeing what this ol girl looks like.
                Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

                Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

                Comment

                • #9
                  five.five-six
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2006
                  • 34928

                  I do not think I would shoot it, but it would be nice to have a few rounds for it.. picks will b up in the morning

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    five.five-six
                    CGN Contributor
                    • May 2006
                    • 34928

                    I told you it was pretty rough









                    Last edited by five.five-six; 10-16-2007, 2:17 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tunder
                      Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 267

                      Hi. New Guy here.

                      I've not used these and have no idea how well they work but reloading kits for pinfire cartridges exist and can be had here.

                      "Where the Hell do you put the bayonet?"- Chesty Puller, on first seeing a flamethrower

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cato
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 5659

                        I never thought I could say it, but that gun isn't worth $50. The pitting is too deep to repair. The grips are pretty though. I love that purple.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AJAX22
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2006
                          • 14980

                          pfffft Cato, stop hatin....

                          Its a neat piece of history and well worth 50$ (probably worth a bit more to the right person)

                          Those grips make the gun.... I recomend cleaning it, oiling it, and puting it in a shadowbox on the wall.
                          Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

                          Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            maxicon
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4661

                            I have one that would be good for a shadowbox mount as well. Same situation - neat gun, but nearly worthless from a practical perspective:



                            More pics and close-ups of the great engraving here:
                            sigpic
                            NRA Life Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              five.five-six
                              CGN Contributor
                              • May 2006
                              • 34928

                              Originally posted by maxicon
                              I have one that would be good for a shadowbox mount as well. Same situation - neat gun, but nearly worthless from a practical perspective:



                              More pics and close-ups of the great engraving here:
                              http://www.maxicon.com/guns/derringer.htm

                              I like your's a lot better than mine like I said, the $50 is a lost cause, it is probably this or nothing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1