Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gew 88/05 "S" Marked Barrel Specifics?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Josh Smith
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 1102

    Gew 88/05 "S" Marked Barrel Specifics?

    Hello,

    I'm quite confused on this one.

    My "S" marked Commission Rifle Gew88 slugs to 0.310" x 0.3165". However, the barrel seems to have a taper.

    I have read and have been told that the whole barrel was opened up for the 0.323" bullet, if it was modified. My measurements don't bear that out.

    I have read, and been told, that the chamber and leade were the only things opened up so as not to cause overpressure, but that the barrel diameter was kept the same.

    Then I've been told several other things.

    I know that it shoots well with a 0.318" 200grn jacketed bullet, about an inch at 50 yards.

    However, I have primer setback at the minimum charge of Varget, and that seems to indicate low pressure (headspace is OK according to an old gauge, but I've ordered a new field gauge just to be sure).

    A too-small bullet diameter would cause low pressure.

    The barrel is not stepped, but rather tapered, and is German. It went to Turkey for WWII and I'm given to understand they used 0.323 ammo.

    Any help clearing up this confusion would be very much appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Josh
    .
  • #2
    TRAP55
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2008
    • 5536

    Josh, are you measuring the lands or grooves?
    The grooves were opened up to .323

    Comment

    • #3
      Josh Smith
      Senior Member
      • May 2011
      • 1102

      Hello,

      Both. The grooves are 0.318" as I slug it, but maybe only toward the leade..?

      Thanks,

      Josh
      .

      Comment

      • #4
        v/dBrink
        Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 213











        Not all Commission rifles are today equal. The Turkish rifles are generally the most modified. The Ecuadorian 1888 (what mine is) were generally not modified at all other than some received new Czech replacement barrels that are of the old .318" groove diameter configuration.

        You cannot generalize about Gewehr 1888 rifles. Shoot bullets that conform to the groove diameter of YOUR rifle, not someone else's rifle. I shoot cast bullets only in mine.

        Comment

        • #5
          smle-man
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2007
          • 10606

          Eveything that I have read says that the throate/leade was opened up to allow a .323 diameter round to chamber which would then swage down to .318 going down the tube. Your slug should tell you what you are dealing with. When in doubt use either .318 or Remington .321 bullets. Don't push this puppy pressure-wise! The rifles were supplied to Turkey during WW1 by Germany. During WW2 Turkey was a neuteral country and stayed out of the conflict.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1