Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lee Enfields Finally retiring.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • eighteenninetytwo
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1545

    Lee Enfields Finally retiring.

    Saw this on a different website. Apparently they have tried to retire these before but each time the potential replacement rifles wouldn't function as well in the frozen north. Interesting.
    -------------------

  • #2
    ham
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1285

    hopefully we'll see a surge in .303 surp ammo
    "The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."

    Comment

    • #3
      mosinnagantm9130
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2009
      • 8783

      Originally posted by ham
      hopefully we'll see a surge in .303 surp ammo
      Lets hope!
      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
      Originally posted by ChopperX
      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
      Originally posted by Jeff L
      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

      Comment

      • #4
        mauser98k
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 819

        that's astounding. what a life for a great weapon.

        Comment

        • #5
          Beetle Bailey
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2004
          • 2620

          Hmmm. . . I think I will bring my No.4 MkI out to shoot this weekend.
          "All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

          Comment

          • #6
            gun toting monkeyboy
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2008
            • 6820

            I can't tell from the article, does anybody have any idea what the new rifle will be? All I could find is that it will be in .308 Winchester, which means that they will be able to get ammo at their local sporting goods store. Considering the supply issues up there in the more isolated areas, I would guess that they will also likely use these for hunting, much as they currently use the Lee-Enfields.
            Originally posted by aplinker
            It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

            Comment

            • #7
              smle-man
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2007
              • 10606



              Just in case anyone would like more info on the unit.

              Comment

              • #8
                captain_chau
                Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 231

                more surplus enfields for us!!!!

                Comment

                • #9
                  jeffsenpai
                  Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 400

                  I think India still issues the Lee Enfield rifle, I remember seeing photos of soldiers equipped with them after the Mumbai terror attacks awhile ago.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mauser98k
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 819

                    Originally posted by jeffsenpai
                    I think India still issues the Lee Enfield rifle, I remember seeing photos of soldiers equipped with them after the Mumbai terror attacks awhile ago.
                    but i think those are the Ishapore made 7.62x51 rifles. the retiring of the .303 Enfields is something

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      smle-man
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 10606

                      The .303 Lee Enfield is still on issue in India to police and para military units and also to many game warden units in Africa. The game wardens go toe to toe with poachers armed with AK47s so their Lee Enfields are in a combat situation.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        eighteenninetytwo
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1545

                        If you check out the link to the rangers as above, their crest actually includes an image of a No.4 rifle. Awesome. I'll keep tabs on this as - wonder what can replace these in terms of ability to keep going in the worst conditions possible.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          gun toting monkeyboy
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 6820

                          From what I have heard from a subsistance hunter who lives up that way, what ever they replace it with will likely have a wood stock and open sights. Plastics and polymers are too fragile at some of the temperatures they run into. And optics tend to have serious issues. I doubt that we will see any of these rifles or new surplus ammo from this. They still have lots of people that hunt, and hunt with FMJs. Those guys keep their rifles and ammo at home, so I am guessing that they will simply end up keeping them, or having "boating accidents".
                          Originally posted by aplinker
                          It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1