Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

C96 Mauser questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dirtbiker
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 2810

    C96 Mauser questions

    A friend of my father has a broomhandle Mauser he is going to be selling. I am going to take a look at it but what should I be looking for?

    It is supposed to be like new and still in cosmo but my understanding is they were made for 30-40 years and for many different countries.

    Is there a solid single resource to learn what to look for (id marks, serial #s production year)

    Any info will help as I know zero about them.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

    Thomas Jefferson
  • #2
    darkest2000
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 1413

    depends on what you're looking to use it as. Collector item? Shooter?

    If you want something that is collector desirable, the basic items to consider would be:

    1. mechanical function. Is the firearm in good mechanical condition? Firing pin broken? parts missing?

    2. Bore condition? Any signs of heavy pitting or wear? Many are so worn they're practically smooth bores. Also check for evidence of relined rifling.

    3. Do numbers match?

    4. Country of origin? (Germany, China, Spain, etc) Variant? Commercial? with or without banner? large ring/small ring? Bolo? Red 9?

    5. Finish: is it original? refinished? If so, how is it refinished? There is what we call a professional restoration, and then there's "refinish" that basically destroys it's collector value. Originals have a rust blued finish, small parts fire blued, hammer and the bolt assembly are left in the white. The rust/fire blues are very distinctive and is very difficult to replicate (although it certainly is possible to do)

    6. Wooden holster/butt stock? is it original or repro (chinese made)?

    Check here for starters:


    Good luck and post some pictures when and if you do get it! Mauser C96s could potentially be worth thousands depending on what it is.
    Last edited by darkest2000; 07-25-2011, 1:51 PM.
    www.collectordesignwerks.com

    Comment

    • #3
      Dirtbiker
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 2810

      Thank you very much! This is what I needed.
      To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

      Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #4
        DisgruntledReaper
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 1863

        I will just add that THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PART to check VERY CAREFULLY is the BOLT STOP...it sits /goes into the RH side of the 'barrel extension(basically the 'upper'.. BH barrels and the 'slide' are machined from 1 PIECE ) As I said it is on the RH side,it slides about 1/4" when fired and basically the firing pin goes through it and the recoil spring sits against it also.... this part is the ONLY thing (and only real flaw) that keeps the bolt from flying OUT straight back and nailing the shooter in the face... bad mugumbo.....

        PLEASE do try to take pics or post a detailed written discription,barrel length, serial-I have a data base I use to get years of mfr... ALSO IF it is SUPPOSEDLY a 'red9' DEFINITLEY need serial as they had their own 1-150,000 number range ,specific proofs and specific style safety... there were 3-4 safeties made during production run.....

        They are real neat pistols and if you ever fire one/this one, NEVER use 7.62x25 Tok... it BASICALLY IS 7.63mm Mauser BUT it is loaded WAYYYY hotter! Mine makes a nice big fireball and an assertive bark when fired...heheheh...

        Keep us posted..
        'There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.'

        'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

        "They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

        sigpic

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1