Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A question for you CMP/US C&R experts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Slugo
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 196

    A question for you CMP/US C&R experts

    Back in May I ordered an Inland Carbine from the CMP and was not very impressed with the overall condition that it came in. I know this is a "luck of the draw" and that these are used military surplus rifles, but when I compared my carbine to my friend's (who ordered and received his the same days I did), his was in outstanding shape. My carbine's stock is thrashed, but the metal finish, barrel, and action are nice. The stock and handguard have deep gashes, and someone engraved a name deeply into the side of the stock. Is it worth refinishing, or should I try to score a deal on some new furniture for the carbine this weekend at the fun show in Costa Mesa?

    Now that the CMP is accepting orders again for M1 Garands, how long do you think it would take me to get one? What are the chances I would get lock-bar sights? I would ask these questions on the CMP forum, but I would probably get an "I don't know" or I would get flammed for asking. Also, since I already have a current production M1 Garand from Springfield, should I wait and order later in hopes that I might be able to get a Winchester, IHC, or H&R?

    I know that these might sound like stupid questions to some of you, but I am relatively new to the CMP, M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Slugo
  • #2
    CSDGuy
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 3763

    The CMP is quoting 60-120 days, for delivery but the people that ordered early are already getting theirs. We're talking about 3 weeks... I don't know how many people sent in orders, so I don't know how many build ups they've got, but they haven't cracked open any crates of their latest shipment.

    It really IS luck of the draw with them. You might want to see if you can pick up some new furniture for your carbine, but you should keep the ones you got because you never know when you might want to show it off as piece of history.

    I'd really advise asking some of those questions over at the CMP's forum as those questions can be answered by the CMP staff themselves.

    Comment

    • #3
      FinweElensar
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 615

      You can always make a request, a big yellow Post-it with your order forms. Send Lyn, Cassie... one of the cmp customer service some flowers to follow it up.

      Comment

      • #4
        kap
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 1324

        Yeah, it is luck of the draw, although some advocate request notes in their orders. I don't know how effectively those orders are fulfilled though.

        It seems like the turn around on Garand orders is about 2 weeks. It will be a mixmaster though. The one I received was slightly dinged up but beautiful.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          stevie
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3856

          As noted:

          You can request lock bars on the sights, you may get them but do not expect them.

          Figured the worst on receiving the rifle, 120 days, if you get it earlier, its a bonus.

          The inlands have been sold out again. So the problem with returning it, you may not get another. The grading from CMP is usually done on barrel condition not wood. If the metal is in good shape, keep the rifle and look some some better wood.

          I try and not have any expectations on condition or delivery, that way I do not have any feeling or stress wondering where the dang thing is when everyone else is getting something or buddy got a better rifle than I.
          Last edited by stevie; 08-24-2007, 6:56 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            8200rpm
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2007
            • 1151

            Turnaround was 13 days for my Garand which included snail mail of my application. I ended up with lock bar sights even though I didn't request it. I didn't even notice the lock bar sights until I racked the op rod with my index finger; my thumb knuckle went across the lock bar and lost some skin.

            Comment

            • #7
              ocabj
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 7924

              As far as I know, the CMP won't do requests on parts. If they did, everyone on the planet would be putting such specific wanted notes such as:
              • Lockbar Sights
              • Winchester Oprod
              • Heel Dipped Receiver
              • Winchester bolt with step
              • D28287-2SA bolt with RE5A heat lot


              The only type of request I've ever made is serial number range. I've either asked for a specific mil (ie: 1 million serial, 3 million serial) or the latest serial they have (so I can get a high 5 million).

              Distinguished Rifleman #1924
              NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
              NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

              https://www.ocabj.net

              Comment

              • #8
                smle-man
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2007
                • 10606

                Originally posted by ocabj
                As far as I know, the CMP won't do requests on parts. If they did, everyone on the planet would be putting such specific wanted notes such as:
                • Lockbar Sights
                • Winchester Oprod
                • Heel Dipped Receiver
                • Winchester bolt with step
                • D28287-2SA bolt with RE5A heat lot


                The only type of request I've ever made is serial number range. I've either asked for a specific mil (ie: 1 million serial, 3 million serial) or the latest serial they have (so I can get a high 5 million).

                The only request I make is for a nice bore and I haven't been disappointed yet through 3 M1s and 1 03.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1