Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
.303 British Surplus ammo
Collapse
X
-
Surplus .303 Brit ammo is notoriously unreliable when you compare it to similarly old surplus ammo, especially 7.62 Russian.
Just buy the newer stuff - plus, it's not corrosive. If you want to shoot milsurp rifles for cheap, get a Mosin.WTB: French & Finnish firearms. WTS: raw honey, tumbled .45 ACP brass, stupid cat.Comment
-
Yes. good cheap .303 seems to be gone. Enfields are interesting rifles however, it might be fun to have one, even at sixty cents a round.*REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*Comment
-
More like 80 cents a round when shipping is factored in, but whatever.
I've been thinking of ordering more. Hopefully I can amass a good quantity of brass after some time so I can reload it in the future.
BTW, AIM surplus also sells this for the same price. IDK about their shipping costs and I don't buy from them because "I'm not 21." PSA doesn't care.sigpic
7-6-2 FTMFW!
"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."Comment
-
It is an easy reload. I used a handloader for ages, before I got a press and 2-3 rounds a minute is easy. Just keep your brass segregated by rifle and you do not have to full length resize. On some of my Prvi brass, I am up to 5 reloads per case, with no failures yet."Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"Comment
-
I love my Enfield. Got it from a Calgunner. So accurate. I don't shoot it as much as some of my other milsurp, but it's always a blast.
I did get dies to reload .303 Brit, but haven't done any yet.WTB: French & Finnish firearms. WTS: raw honey, tumbled .45 ACP brass, stupid cat.Comment
-
M1A Rifleman: That's what I thought at first, but I pulled out a different box of Canadian WWII surplus and that stuff shot just fine. Not a tight group, but consistent and on target.
SMLE-Man: That would explain the low round with the hangfires, but not every shot was a hangfire. And I've shot rifles long enough to not do it on my own.
Rojocorsa: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
And as for you Palamino Stripper... Don't take out your bad day on my thread. This post was a warning to people who were considered MkVII ammo to purchase.
If you think you'd have fun going shooting even if you didn't hit anything, I'll pull the primers from every single round you take shooting next time and see if you like it.Comment
-
First of all- I had a great chuckle from that.And as for you Palamino Stripper... Don't take out your bad day on my thread. This post was a warning to people who were considered MkVII ammo to purchase.
If you think you'd have fun going shooting even if you didn't hit anything, I'll pull the primers from every single round you take shooting next time and see if you like it.
Second of all- I'm not pissed off or anything. I know what you were trying to convey, and I appreciate the heads up (for others). But at the same time I've never really had any truly bad experiences with surplus .303. I've got a ton of 1967 Pakistani that shoots great (aside from the occasional hangfire). Maybe I've just been lucky.
In any case- please accept my apology if I dumped on your thread.
-PaliminoLast edited by Palimino Stripe; 05-04-2011, 7:30 PM.Comment
-
Crusader, what did you pay per round, how much did you get, and do you have any left that you want to releave yourself of? PAXYou need a crew
"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798Comment
-
I recently bought three 50 round boxes of Kynoch brand Mk 7 ammo, with "patented cordite" propellant. Haven't shot any yet, but it was pretty pricey at $20 a box of 50. When I showed it to another guy I shoot with he mentioned he had 140 rounds of commercial (Remington and PRVI) he wanted to sell. bought that up and have been working my way through that with good results.Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.Comment
-
Palamino: I'm sorry for snapping. I don't take kindly to people calling me a whinner, especially after the kinds of days I've had lately.
Echo1: I don't have any left. After verifying the ammo's quality, I simply blew the last 50 rounds or so attempting a Mad Minute. It truely is interesting watching someone attempt a mad minute with hang fires, that's all I'll say on how it went.Comment
-
I have a mix of 300 rounds, Iraqi and British Radway .303 British ammo both at least 40+ years old or more. They've shot well. The Iraqi ammo crimping looks a little deep but all of them fired fine. I got lucky I found these on Craigslist for sale - $30 per 100.Comment
-
I have about 400 rounds of 1953 Kynock I inherited. From what I've heard cordite burn considerably hotter than standard smokeless powder and therefore wore out barrels sooner. The Brits probably would have switched sooner but they were tooled up for cordite production and the threat of a German invasion probably had something to do with it too.Comment
-
Cordite erodes the barrel throat which is why Lee Enfields will be found almost smooth bore an inch in front of the chamber but good rifling at the muzzle. .303 was made with more conventional stick powder by non UK manufacturers as supplimentary wartime production and by UK manufacturers when cordite production couldn't keep up with demand. Those rounds have a 'z' designation and due to their different ballistic properties had restrictions on firing over the heads of friendly forces. Back in the day heavy machine guns would fire long distance barrages over the heads and in front of emplaced troops so you didn't want to have any rounds with unexpected trajectories!I have about 400 rounds of 1953 Kynock I inherited. From what I've heard cordite burn considerably hotter than standard smokeless powder and therefore wore out barrels sooner. The Brits probably would have switched sooner but they were tooled up for cordite production and the threat of a German invasion probably had something to do with it too.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,790
Posts: 25,151,695
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 24506 users online. 128 members and 24378 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment