Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun Broker's Fun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DaveInOroValley
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2010
    • 8968

    Gun Broker's Fun

    Was glancing through entertained as usual and came across an Arisaka 99 that had a bullet damaged stock and all the seller wanted was 750.00...

    Do I have any takers???
    Last edited by DaveInOroValley; 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM.
    NRA Life Member

    Vet since 1978

    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
  • #2
    Phantompooper03
    Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 379

    Not much....there are tons of them in the US. But it is a nice, solid rifle to shoot if you can find ammo. If it's in good shape and has the monopod, bolt cover, leather strap and bayonette then it's worth around $325 If it still has the flower emblem on the top of the barrel then $400. If it has an original optical scope then much more. *************************************************** There are some that are worth upwards of a thousand bucks or more. There are not many left in USA. Many have been chopped and sporterized and scrapped. Finding one such as a type 99 early manufacture with the Emperor's Crest intact and 70% or better original blue and original stock in original military configuration with clear markings and proofs and fair to decent wood with the dust cover over the bolt, and the fold-out "wings" to the rear sight intact (for shooting at aircraft) is really difficult now...especially with the original bolt still in the gun, and bright bore. In fact it is getting nearly impossible to find them like that. The early manufactured ones were excellent steel, excellent machining, and withstood test pressures to explosive destruction that went beyond the Mauser K98! Sources of parts are drying up. There are little bits here and there. After 1945, no government really used these rifles. Not like the K98, which was used right up into the 1980's in some parts of the world. Sources for 6.5 Jap and 7.7 Jap ammo are getting slim as well. Very expensive for new manufacture. Surplus is pretty well shot out and gone. Boxer-type brass casings for reloading are available, but expensive. Many Japanese soldiers discarded the dustcovers as too noisy. Many of these rifles left the factory without the fold-out "wings" on the rear sights. Much of the ammunition that was once available and frequently fired in these rifles was very corrosive to barrels and actions. The vast majority of these rifles saw much hard use. Both MacArthur and elements of the Jap high command ordered the crests ground off these rifles in connection with some surrender agreements. I scored onethat is absolutely perfect on a stroke of luck - except that some fool took a saw to the stock to make a deer gun out of it. It took me several years to find an original stock for it. I put this one up for my Son or Grand-kid to inherit some day. When I was a youngster, I can remember the local hardware / discount store had new trash cans that were crammed full of type 99 Arisaka rifles, 88 commission rifles, Siamese mausers, 98 mausers, Carcanos, Steyr-Manlichers, and you could have anyone you wanted from $16.00 to $30.00 depending on the rifle. The majority were hard suplus even then. Either rusted dark brown, or sticky with grease that may have been cosmoline. There was very cheap ammo there in little tan cardboard boxes and wrapped in paper with string tied around it. People bought them and hunted with them, and then sold them. No one was really collecting them like now. The vast majority were sawed up into Frankenstein-like experimental deer rifles, and that was a cryin' shame.

    1998-2004 USMC 0313, OIF I
    Fortuna audax iuvat

    Comment

    • #3
      Super Spy
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 3461

      I think a bullet damaged stock is an extra cool battle damage scar! I don't think I'd pay $750 for one though.
      Originally posted by Daytripper63
      "Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."

      Comment

      • #4
        mauser98k
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 819

        way too expensive. buy the rifle, not the story

        Comment

        • #5
          DaveInOroValley
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2010
          • 8968

          Originally posted by Phantompooper03
          You do know I was being sarcastic right?
          NRA Life Member

          Vet since 1978

          "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

          Comment

          • #6
            Dr.Mauser
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 1862

            do you have the GB link?
            !!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

            !!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

            Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Phantompooper03
              Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 379

              Originally posted by daveinwoodland
              You do know I was being sarcastic right?
              Totally.

              1998-2004 USMC 0313, OIF I
              Fortuna audax iuvat

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1