Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Inherited some antiques - need help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wang949
    Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 382

    Inherited some antiques - need help

    Hi all,

    Several years ago, I inherited 3 firearms:

    1. Colt 1903 Pocket Pistol, SN: 853## (older)
    2. Colt 1903 Pocket Pistol, SN: 4394## (newer)
    3. L.C. Smith 12 gauge side by side shotgun, SN: 371##

    I really don't know much about any of these fine firearms, other than they are OLD. The first Colt is obviously much older than the second. And I don't know anything about the L.C. Smith.

    What do you guys know about them? How much are they worth?
    Thanks.

    1.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wang949; 04-03-2011, 5:41 PM.
  • #2
  • #3
  • #4
  • #5
    usedto
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 847

    With all those photos, you ought to rename them so a person doesn't have to tiptoe through all of them so see what he wants.
    Rule #1 - The Boss Is Always Right
    Rule #2 - In The Event The Boss Is Wrong, Refer To Rule #1

    Comment

    • #6
      EmmaGoldman
      Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 369

      I'd guess the Elsie around 1899. Worth a couple hundred bucks with all that rust.
      Left, not "liberal", not what gets called "left" in American politics, Actually Left, like the government shouldn't be set up to favor certain groups, radically and fanatically left, like the ideas in the American Constitution (except that crap about 3/5ths of a person).

      Comment

      • #7
        wang949
        Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 382

        Yea, the L.C. Smith has seen better days. Unfortunately, it was stored for 50+yrs unprotected in a closet by the ocean (high salt in air).

        I looked up the serial numbers on the guns. The shotgun was made in 1895. The 1st Colt is 1909. The 2nd is 1924.

        If I were to sell the colts, what would be a fair asking price? The shotgun is going to stay in the family for now.

        Comment

        • #8
          Pred@tor
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2005
          • 768

          You have a type I or II colt with the barrel bushing and the other could be a type III or V I'd say either of those are worth 300 to 400 bucks maybe even thats high in the condition they're in. I see some on GB for 600 bucks in a little better shape and those guys are dreamin..... lol
          "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
          Thomas Jefferson

          Californian born and orginally from the Central Coast (Arroyo Grande, CA) who is currently serving in the Air National Guard of Missouri.

          Comment

          • #9
            Bigyates
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 572

            They may have been stored improperly but why don't you get some oil on the LC? The barrels still show a lot of pattern.

            Comment

            • #10
              PEZHEAD265
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 980

              The 2 old Colts are not considered antiques by Fed. gun laws.The LC is because it was made in 1895.Federal gun laws are pre 1899 made weapons.The Colts are C&R guns even through 1 is over a hundred years old.GET SOME OIL ON THAT LC!!!! That is a shame because that was your best peice it if it was in better shape.

              Comment

              • #11
                wang949
                Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 382

                Thanks for the information everyone.
                Does restoration work, such as re-bluing the scratches ruin the value of the gun?

                Comment

                • #12
                  OHOD
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 11047

                  Originally posted by wang949
                  Thanks for the information everyone.
                  Does restoration work, such as re-bluing the scratches ruin the value of the gun?
                  I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, you should keep the condition of them as is and not reblue them. I think get devalued if you do that, I think.
                  Personally, I would clean them up, gingerly, and apply a nice coat of oil.

                  The experts will weigh in on how to restore them.
                  sigpic

                  INGSOC comes to America.
                  Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

                  Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
                  A time of innocence, A time of confidences
                  Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
                  Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

                  Comment

                  • #13
                    pullnshoot25
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 8068

                    1. You are a lucky bastard and I am just a tinge of green with jealousy.

                    2. Do not butcher them. If you do, know there is a special place in hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre and you will fit right in there. (WHERE DID THAT QUOTE COME FROM?!?!)

                    3. Again, awesome.

                    Comment

                    • #14
                      gun toting monkeyboy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 6820

                      The quote came from the Firefly episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds".

                      Ok, with refinishing, don't. It looks like one of the Colts was refinished badly some time ago. The clues on that are the washed out lettering/logo and the pits in the surface that have bluing in them. That means that at some time in the past, it was rusted, and somebody removed the rust and reblued it. I didn't look too closely at the second on e because you put up too many unlabled pics for me to bother wading through. I wouldn't play games with refinishing any of them. But some bronze wool and oil would go a very long way towards stopping the rust and making them look more presentable.

                      In terms of what they are worth, the LC is the more expensive toy in the lot. The other two are nice, but not in collectable shape. They are shooters in that condition, nothing more. Clean them up and enjoy them. But don't expect people to pay top dollar for them, even though thet have that "My Little Pony" logo on the side. If you can get $300 a piece for them, you would be doing well. Probably closer to the $200-250 range is more realistic.

                      -Mb
                      Originally posted by aplinker
                      It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                      Comment

                      • #15
                        hybridatsun350
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 5336

                        Very cool guns. You're a lucky man!

                        Originally posted by wang949
                        Thanks for the information everyone.
                        Does restoration work, such as re-bluing the scratches ruin the value of the gun?
                        Don't touch them with any more than some good oil for preservation! They have 100+ years of patina, don't mess it up.
                        Dom

                        ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1