Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M1 Garand 7.62mm Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oddjob
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 2399

    M1 Garand 7.62mm Question

    I bought one in 7.62mm and National Match from S.A. Inc., back in the mid 90's or so. It has about 500 rds through and is in very good shape. I know this is not a C&R, but I figured this was the right place to ask. I looked in GunsAmerica, Gunbroker, Auction Arms and couldn't find one for sale like mine. Anyways how much is this thing worth? Thanks
  • #2
    mosinnagantm9130
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2009
    • 8783

    Originally posted by oddjob
    I bought one in 7.62mm and National Match from S.A. Inc., back in the mid 90's or so. It has about 500 rds through and is in very good shape. I know this is not a C&R, but I figured this was the right place to ask. I looked in GunsAmerica, Gunbroker, Auction Arms and couldn't find one for sale like mine. Anyways how much is this thing worth? Thanks
    That wold depend on if your 7.62 was converted by a gunsmith or the military.
    Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
    My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

    Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
    Originally posted by ChopperX
    I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
    Originally posted by Jeff L
    Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

    Comment

    • #3
      cmichini
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 1739

      I assume the receiver is Springfield Armory, Inc (commercial) vs. Springfield Armory (USGI) receiver. That may make some difference in the value.

      If commercial receiver, the presence/absence of USGI parts will have an impact, too.

      If you have more info, you can probably get some additional info around here (post details, part drawing #'s and pix).

      However, on gunbroker you can search closed auctions (advanced search). This will show you what auction results have been for a period of time. I'd try to get as much detail about yours together, post here for the hope of more guidance, but also check out closed auctions that had bids. This will give you an idea what people were willing to go into the rifle for. You may need to adjust for USGI/non-USGI, but it should give you an idea.

      HTH
      NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
      NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

      Comment

      • #4
        oddjob
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2003
        • 2399

        It is the current S.A. Inc. commercial factory version offered in the mid 90's. Its the National Match 7.62mm model. Its bedded so tight I can't get it out of the stock right now. I'll do more research. Thanks for the info on the advanced search on gunbroker idea. I'll have to try that.

        As stated this came from the factory this way. No conversion by a gunsmith or military. Its a great gun and I might just keep it.

        Comment

        • #5
          Geodetic
          Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 159

          Keep it... a modern caliber in "the greatest battle implement ever devised".

          Comment

          • #6
            vf111
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 2742

            The commercial M1's SAI used to sell were built with USGI parts kits (some well worn) on cast receivers from I believe Lithgow in Australia. To be honest, unless you were selling it for about what a Service Grade Special would be from CMP (and that's only because it's a NM), I doubt there'd be many takers. I know for me I'd rather pick up a Field grade from CMP + a Krieger barrel + NM stock and send it off to someone like Ted Brown, Warbird, DGR, etc. to be built into a NM and the whole thing would cost around $1400.
            Last edited by vf111; 03-11-2011, 3:56 PM.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1