Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

German K98 Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Edge
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 1568

    German K98 Questions

    I have an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, and a Moisin and was thinking about getting a K98 to have a battle rifle from the three major powers in WW2.

    What do K98 owners think of them?

    I figure they should be pretty accurate. I know they're heavy, but about the same as a garand. Why don't I hear more people talking about them?

    Where would be the best place to buy one, and what is a reasonable price for a good to very good condition rifle? How hard is it to find ammo and what does it run?
    "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's going to start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Mostly if I'm getting paid."

    "You sir are ignorant and it appears willfully so." - Kestryll

    "I was thinking about it the other day, and realized that I've only got three real emotional states: Happy, angry and none." - M.Sage
  • #2
    Milsurp Collector
    Calguns Addict
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 5884

    Originally posted by Edge
    I have an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, and a Moisin and was thinking about getting a K98 to have a battle rifle from the three major powers in WW2.
    Um, the three major powers in World War II?? Aren't you forgetting a few countries.

    Ever heard of Pearl Harbor? The Rape of Nanking? The Battle of Britain? Iwo Jima? The Battle of El Alamein? Gold, Sword, and Juno Beaches in Normandy?

    K98k's are wonderful.



    They are lighter than a Garand (8-9 lb. vs 10 lb.). They are more similar to the M1903 (Springfield) rifle, which was "inspired" by the Mauser design. Mauser sued the US Government for patent infringement and won. The US was forced to pay Mauser royalties.

    There is a lot of talk about K98k rifles. See http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...8-Mauser-Forum

    There is even a whole forum devoted to them http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

    Most first-time buyers get the most affordable version, a Russian Capture (RC) K98k. Captured by the Soviets and then rebuilt from parts by them, they can be found for $300 and up http://harmonia.meccahosting.com/~a0....php?PageId=45

    The next level is partially-matching (the parts were serial-numbered at the factory), usually matching except the bolt, or matching except the stock and bands. They are ~ $500-$900.

    The most expensive are all-matching, $1000-$2000. Even more expensive are K98k sniper rifles, which can cost several thousand dollars. Because of their value, all-matching rifles and snipers are often fake/counterfeit and so should be avoided until you gain a lot of knowledge and experience.

    Surplus ammo is readily available http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....litary-surplus

    By the way, do not buy the widely-advertised "Mitchell's Mausers". They are over-priced pimp-shined Russian Capture K98ks that have no collector value.
    Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 01-12-2011, 2:02 AM.
    Revolvers are not pistols

    pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
    Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

    ExitCalifornia.org

    Comment

    • #3
      Anchors
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2010
      • 5940

      Originally posted by Milsurp Collector
      Um, the three major powers in World War II?? Aren't you forgetting a few countries.

      Ever heard of Pearl Harbor? The Rape of Nanking? The Battle of Britain? Iwo Jima? The Battle of El Alamein? Gold, Sword, and Juno Beaches in Normandy?

      K98k's are wonderful.



      They are lighter than a Garand (8-9 lb. vs 10 lb.). They are more similar to the M1903 (Springfield) rifle, which was "inspired" by the Mauser design. Mauser sued the US Government for patent infringement and won. The US was forced to pay Mauser royalties.

      There is a lot of talk about K98k rifles. See http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...8-Mauser-Forum

      There is even a whole forum devoted to them http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

      Most first-time buyers get the most affordable version, a Russian Capture (RC) K98k. Captured by the Soviets and then rebuilt from parts by them, they can be found for $300 and up http://harmonia.meccahosting.com/~a0....php?PageId=45

      The next level is partially-matching (the parts were serial-numbered at the factory), usually matching except the bolt, or matching except the stock and bands. They are ~ $500-$900.

      The most expensive are all-matching, $1000-$2000. Even more expensive are K98k sniper rifles, which can cost several thousand dollars. Because of their value, all-matching rifles and snipers are often fake/counterfeit and so should be avoided until you gain a lot of knowledge and experience.

      Surplus ammo is readily available http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....litary-surplus

      By the way, do not buy the widely-advertised "Mitchell's Mausers". They are over-priced pimp-shined Russian Capture K98ks that have no collector value.
      I really want one. The ammo is cheaper than I thought it was.

      Are any of those beauties all matching?
      I saw about 8 at a shop in AZ last week with Nazi markings intact, but they were $300-$400 and were really rough.
      Maybe I made a mistake passing one up?
      None of them looked nearly as good as any of yours.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dr.Mauser
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2009
        • 1862

        Mines bring back and its been an amazing rifle, ive had a few others and loved them all it really a good investment but again you have to buy depending on what you want it for...ie shooter, collector, wall gun etc.
        !!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

        !!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

        Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          B Strong
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2009
          • 6367

          Originally posted by Edge
          I have an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, and a Moisin and was thinking about getting a K98 to have a battle rifle from the three major powers in WW2.

          What do K98 owners think of them?

          I figure they should be pretty accurate. I know they're heavy, but about the same as a garand. Why don't I hear more people talking about them?

          Where would be the best place to buy one, and what is a reasonable price for a good to very good condition rifle? How hard is it to find ammo and what does it run?
          I'm a K98k fan, if you go to my firearms for sale thread (linked) you can see some of the examples I've sold recently.

          Accuracy-wise, they're on par with the competition, but there is no-such National Match equivalent to the Star-Gauged '03.

          If you want a numbers matching, excellent condition rifle, be prepared to drop some coin - the days of inexpensive, excellent condition K98k's are long gone.

          Avoid Mitchell's Mauser rebuilds, and start looking on Gunbroker or at gunshows, especially the SAR show in Az.
          The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
          ___________________________________________
          "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
          - Jeff Cooper

          Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

          Comment

          • #6
            paul0660
            In Memoriam
            • Jul 2007
            • 15669

            Anyone wanting to buy a 98 needs to do a lot of reading before dropping money on one. There is no more faked gun in the world. The forum at Gunboards already mentioned is a great place to get info.

            If you just want to shoot 8mm out of a wartime gun, M48s and 24/47s are still available, and will be worth the $200 they cost you.
            *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

            Comment

            • #7
              rojocorsa
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2008
              • 9139

              Why are these the most faked?





              Also, it's fun to shoot them. I really enjoy it even though I'm not a fan of their little weird stock grip and their sights aren't necessarily the best. They work.

              My friend has this nice Russian capture, and it's always fun. For whatever reason I enjoy cycling the action. You can't go wrong with a good Russian capture.
              sigpic
              7-6-2 FTMFW!

              "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

              Comment

              • #8
                emcon5
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 3347

                Why are these the most faked?
                Because some people are willing to pay a premium for numbers matching Nazi K98s, particularly if they have rare codes or specific marks, SS runes for example.

                And K98ks are not the most faked, K98K Sniper rifles are. Wit authentic rifles going for up to $10,000, there is a lot of motivation for the dishonest.

                If you want a shooter, find a Russian Capture model. They can still be had for around $300.

                They work just fine:

                Comment

                • #9
                  Milsurp Collector
                  Calguns Addict
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5884

                  Originally posted by RyanAnchors

                  Are any of those beauties all matching?


                  Left to right:

                  1935 ERMA, bought from a fellow Calgunner. Russian Capture, but I bought it because it is one of the rarest manufacturer/year codes (S/27.G). 1935 was the year the K98k was officially adopted as the standard Nazi battle rifle. It is in a correct ERMA walnut stock with matching bands (still have the RC stock of course).

                  1936 Mauser Oberndorf (S/42). Matching except for the magazine floorplate, triggerguard, follower, and self-matching bolt

                  1937 ERMA (S/27). Matching except for the magazine floorplate, follower, and self-matching bolt.

                  1939 Mauser Oberndorf (42). Russian Capture, my first K98k.

                  1943 Mauser Oberndorf (byf). All-matching. Got it 2 years ago for only $460 because it looked bad. A little cleaning and voila http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...p?f=21&t=70599

                  1944 Brunn (dot) A restored sporterized rifle, matching except for the stock and handguard. Stock and handguard are correct "dot" parts.

                  I prefer partially matching K98ks because all-matching are much more expensive and there are many faked/counterfeit ones out there. In my opinion partially matching rifles are the value sweet spot between RCs and expensive and often faked all-matching rifles.

                  Originally posted by rojocorsa
                  Why are these the most faked?
                  $$$

                  There is a sticky thread at Gunboards with "turd alerts" - faked rifles spotted for sale - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...88-Turd-Alerts

                  Besides that thread, if you read through the threads in that forum you will find threads of people posting their latest find who are disappointed to be told that they bought a fake. A very good reference for people who want to learn how to spot a fake is the Bob in Ohio photo CD http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...e-CD-Volume-II It is full of close-up pictures of the genuine markings on matching K98ks.
                  Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 01-12-2011, 8:03 AM.
                  Revolvers are not pistols

                  pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                  Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                  ExitCalifornia.org

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Edge
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 1568

                    Originally posted by Milsurp Collector
                    Um, the three major powers in World War II?? Aren't you forgetting a few countries.
                    Yeah, I guess I should have said three of the major powers in WWII. But I'm not at all interested in the Japanese Arisaka, and I'm not enough of a collector to warrant investing in other European rifles.

                    Thanks a lot for the info. I'll be checking out those links. If you decide to sell another K98k, pm me.
                    "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's going to start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Mostly if I'm getting paid."

                    "You sir are ignorant and it appears willfully so." - Kestryll

                    "I was thinking about it the other day, and realized that I've only got three real emotional states: Happy, angry and none." - M.Sage

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bhobbs
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 11851

                      I have a Kar98k that was my second rifle. I really enjoy shooting it. To me the recoil is very light and I have no issue shooting a few hundred rounds in a day. The only problem is most ammo is steel core and corrosive so finding a place that lets you shoot steel core is an issue but the corrosive ammo is not a major problem.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Noonanda
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 3404

                        Originally posted by Edge
                        Yeah, I guess I should have said three of the major powers in WWII. But I'm not at all interested in the Japanese Arisaka, and I'm not enough of a collector to warrant investing in other European rifles.

                        Thanks a lot for the info. I'll be checking out those links. If you decide to sell another K98k, pm me.
                        you would be missing out then. other than some of the last ditch and training rifles, the Japanese Arisaka (both type 38 and type 99)is an excellent design, and is stronger than any other design used during WW2 (see hatchers notbook)

                        I own a type 38 Carbine and a type 99, type 38 is a handy little rifle, while the type 99 is a solid rifle
                        "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Noonanda
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 3404

                          Originally posted by Bhobbs
                          I I really enjoy shooting it. To me the recoil is very light and I have no issue shooting a few hundred rounds in a day.
                          Obviously you havent shot some of the Turk ammo out there, the 150gr Compressed powder hot loads. That stuff I think was designed to dislocate shoulders
                          "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Milsurp Collector
                            Calguns Addict
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 5884

                            Originally posted by Edge
                            Yeah, I guess I should have said three of the major powers in WWII. But I'm not at all interested in the Japanese Arisaka, and I'm not enough of a collector to warrant investing in other European rifles.
                            Lee-Enfields are affordable and fun to shoot.



                            Arisakas are interesting, affordable (even all-matching rifles) and the 6.5 Japanese cartridge is very pleasant to shoot, even in a carbine.

                            Revolvers are not pistols

                            pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                            Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                            ExitCalifornia.org

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cruddymutt
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 1589

                              K98 snipers are the most faked, as already mentioned. The rifle in my avatar is a k98 LSR sniper THAT I BUILT. It is a fake. It is period correct but that is all. I have a friend that still thinks its real even though I told him its fake.
                              The rifle cost a fraction of what an all original would cost. The dishonest seller/uninformed buyer makes the possible profit on these very high.
                              Snipers, SS runes, sszza4 codes, totenkopfs, (Im sure there is more) must be heavily researched.
                              Assume fake until proven otherwise is my motto.
                              sigpic
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1