Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking for help reading my enfield

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scoot64
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 816

    Looking for help reading my enfield

    I'm trying to understand the markings on my enfield I've had for a while now.

    Receiver
    GP Trading ST Alb VT - Which I assume is the importer
    No 4 MK1 - Which I know model

    Stock Band
    ROF - Manufacturer
    12 42A - I think when i was built
    U281xx - Serial number

    Bolt
    back of the handle - U281xxA
    Cocking piece - FY MK 11
    in the groove on the bolt - B

    Butt Stock
    U

    Any help would be great, Thanks
  • #2
    mosinnagantm9130
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2009
    • 8783

    ROF= Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley.
    Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
    My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

    Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
    Originally posted by ChopperX
    I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
    Originally posted by Jeff L
    Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

    Comment

    • #3
      scoot64
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 816

      Any additional help PLEASE.

      Comment

      • #4
        littlejake
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2008
        • 2168

        Originally posted by scoot64
        I'm trying to understand the markings on my enfield I've had for a while now.

        Receiver
        GP Trading ST Alb VT - Which I assume is the importer
        No 4 MK1 - Which I know model

        Stock Band
        ROF - Manufacturer
        12 42A - I think when i was built
        U281xx - Serial number

        Bolt
        back of the handle - U281xxA
        Cocking piece - FY MK 11
        in the groove on the bolt - B

        Butt Stock
        U

        Any help would be great, Thanks
        ROF means Royal Ordnance Factory
        doesn't mean Fazakerly -- that would be marked as ROF(F)

        The U prefix in the serial number indicates it's made by BSA Shirley in 1942

        What you call a stock band is properly called the receiver ring. It's a part of the receiver.

        Source:

        British Enfield Rifles, Volume 2 Lee-Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles by Charles R Stratton
        Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
        My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
        Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

        "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
        William Pitt (1759-1806)

        Comment

        • #5
          rojocorsa
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2008
          • 9139

          Pics! Post them if you got 'em.
          sigpic
          7-6-2 FTMFW!

          "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

          Comment

          • #6
            finloq
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 523

            Posting pictures of the receiver ring and other marked areas will help.
            You might also try a Lee Enfield specific board: http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
            "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

            Comment

            • #7
              scoot64
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 816

              Just bought that same book, yesterday. From my understanding from what I read in the book the ROF means its from either fazakerly or Malby. The Serial number would make it from Fazakerly according to the count. The prefix being U would make it from BSA Shirley. So now I'm a little confused. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

              Comment

              • #8
                scoot64
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 816

                I was looking around on the milsurp forum. I just haven't signed up on that one yet.

                Comment

                • #9
                  smle-man
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 10605

                  Originally posted by scoot64
                  Just bought that same book, yesterday. From my understanding from what I read in the book the ROF means its from either fazakerly or Malby. The Serial number would make it from Fazakerly according to the count. The prefix being U would make it from BSA Shirley. So now I'm a little confused. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

                  I wouldn't get wound up on the bits not matching the receiver. Many of the rifles have gone through at least 4 governments and in some cases a couple commercial reworks. As the rifles have been repaired and overhauled any part that fits would have been used much like the M1 rifles that come through the CMP.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1