Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lee-Enfield vs. Mauser 98

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rojocorsa
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2008
    • 9139

    Lee-Enfield vs. Mauser 98

    Last week, we had the "Mosin vs. Mauser" thread. I was thinking we should mix things up a little bit and look at an even older rivalry.

    Let's have an SMLE/No.4 vs. 98 thread this time. Do what you pretty much did last time, pick a rifle and explain why.


    I'll pick the No.4 Mk.1(*). I love the sights and think they are better for a battle rifle in addition to the longer sight radius it has over the 98k. And who can forget about that wonderful 10round detachable magazine paired up with that simple, yet quick bolt?

    It's true that I like Enfields, yes. The Mauser is a fine rifle, I've shot it plenty of times and always enjoy it, but the No.4 (In my case) is better suited to a war-fighting role. I also think that the No.4 balances better than the 98k despite having a similar mass. I would assume that to be because of its layout.

    My only grievance with the Enfield is its extractor. Sure, the one that broke on me is 67 yrs old (most likely--or well-used), but I believe the Mauser and the Mosin are better suited in this department.

    And sure, the Mauser may be a little more precise, but who cares about that in a battle field? Oh, and the 98k will never look as badass either. I mean, the Enfield actually went places the Mauser didn't--as in acutally owning the world at one point.

    I'm just kidding, I like all these guns.
    sigpic
    7-6-2 FTMFW!

    "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
  • #2
    Cowboy T
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2010
    • 5725

    I'd have to say the Mauser for its stronger action. You can safely make hotter loads in one of those than in an Enfield. But I would have no problem going hunting with either.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
    http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

    Comment

    • #3
      harmoniums
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • 3488

      Enfield for me, it's the rifle I've shot the most with.
      IT would have to be a no4 variant though, I'm much more accurate with peep sights
      WTB Irish firearms:
      old SxS shotguns, Enfields (Irish contract or FF marked), RIC marked carbines or revolvers, odd ball flintlocks.

      VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        FS00008
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 1975

        I say neither. Remington 1917 ;-)
        "No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
        legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer."

        Comment

        • #5
          paul0660
          In Memoriam
          • Jul 2007
          • 15669

          I got rid of my Enfields when the .303 shortage became obvious, but they truly did have the slickest bolt action of all, as well as sights that were cool, if hard to get used to (for me). Mad minutes, using middle finger on the trigger, thumb and forefinger on the bolt, with lubed up strippers, are amazing, and fun.
          *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

          Comment

          • #6
            Dr.Mauser
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 1862

            I sorry children I loved my SMLE, but I have to go Mauser. With it strong bolt, I've been more accurate with it (love the sight hood ), a tiny bit lighter to carry, not so hard to take apart and clean, and the bolt isnt complicated. Just me though.
            !!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

            !!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

            Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Beetle Bailey
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2004
              • 2620

              Don't forget that when the Enfield and Mauser faced off in South Africa, the Mauser was considered superior. Boers who had a choice picked the Mauser and after the war, the Brits developed the P14, a sort of Enfield-Mauser hybrid. The American version of the P14 is called the M1917

              And what's with the "Which one do you prefer?" stuff? There is no requirement to be monogamous with your rifle. I've got a harem. . . errrr. . . safe full of different action types and everyone is happy. The ever-neutral K-31 gets along with the Mauser and the Finn and Russian Mosins share vodka. The Enfields still insist they would have taken care of Adolf without the Garands, but that's just the beer talkin' The AR15's, being princesses, forced the Saiga out, but what are you gonna do when an AR starts to pout?

              I say, buy them all!
              "All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

              Comment

              • #8
                hawk81
                Banned
                • Dec 2007
                • 1489

                The enfield is a better battle rifle, but the mauser is more accurate. That's a tough choice.

                Comment

                • #9
                  smle-man
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 10606

                  Originally posted by Beetle Bailey
                  Don't forget that when the Enfield and Mauser faced off in South Africa, the Mauser was considered superior. Boers who had a choice picked the Mauser and after the war, the Brits developed the P14, a sort of Enfield-Mauser hybrid. The American version of the P14 is called the M1917
                  The Lee Enfield scandal during the 2nd Boer war was as intense as the early M16 scandal during the Vietnam war. It was discovered that the Long Lee Enfield shot several feet to the left of the sight setting at distances beyond 500 yds which coincidentally was the range that much shooting happened. The Boers were armed with a flat shooting 7mm rifle, the Brits with a rifle that no one had a hope of hitting anything at long distance until the sight problem was discovered and corrected. The Brits drew the wrong conclusion from the Boer war: extreme long range shooting was the norm and a hyper velocity round was what was needed. It turned out that the 2nd Boer war was a fluke and rapid fire at ranges under 300 yards was going to be what the British military would face for the next 100 years except along the Northwest frontier where the SMLE worked just fine. The P13 in .276 was an evolutionary dead end for the Brits. When given the chance they kept the SMLE and issued the follow on to the P13 the P14 in .303 to second line troops.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Gryff
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2006
                    • 12693

                    Originally posted by hawk81
                    The enfield is a better battle rifle, but the mauser is more accurate. That's a tough choice.
                    I thought that the Lee-Enfield was recognized as being the most-accurate battle rifle of WWI/WWII?
                    My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cmaher55
                      Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 316

                      You know, years ago I decided I needed every battle rifle from WW2 so I went out and bought them all.... I loved my Enfields (no. 1 Aussie and 4 savage ex. T) but I could not get them to group very well. I ended up selling them a few years ago to lighten up the gun safe and reduce calibers. I still have my two K98's. That's the answer for me. Regards

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        smle-man
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 10606

                        The attacking German forces were stopped literally dead in their tracks at Mons, 1914 when the 'Old Contemtibles' fired their SMLE's so fast and so accurately that the Germans thought they were facing massed machine guns. The Mauser is a fine rifle but is slow to function and has a limited magazine capacity. Volume of fire is what helps win battles and the Mauser doesn't have it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          socal-ar15
                          Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 131

                          I own both and I must say my Enfield is way more accurate then my K98. The range I shoot at only goes out 600 yards but the Enfield hits all the steel targets dead on but my K98 is down and to the left. Just my two cents.
                          Keep your bugger hook off the bang stick and you will not have a problem!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rogerbutthead
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • 3861

                            Like both rifles, but would pick the Lee Enfield for the double capacity vs the Mauser.

                            Have a real mismatched High Turret Mauser sniper, but never fired it. My Lee Enfield sniper shoots great with my reloads. So would pick that one too just because of how it shoots for me.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              knucklehead0202
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 4087

                              this argument could go on forever, but the mauser action has, and the enfield hasn't. that's the REAL answer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1