Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Black Powder Sunday

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dutch3
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2010
    • 14181

    Black Powder Sunday

    I know that BP takes second fiddle in this shared forum, but I had a great time yesterday! I like C&R milsurps too, but BOOM and SMOKE are somehow fulfilling in a basic manner.

    The wife, daughters, son-in-law and I headed up to some property his folks own in the Plumas NF here in Nor Cal. Plenty of room to sling some lead. At 2+ hours in and out, we did not have a lot of time, but I was able to shoot a few cylinders out of my "new" Pietta 1858.

    BP is new to me, but the loading and shooting was quite enjoyable. I couldn't hit a damn thing at 25 yds, but am looking forward to making progress. I could not wipe the smile off my face!

    I'm sure I look like some redneck yahoo, and my stance is all wrong...but I had a great time! Love that smoke! Unfortunately, at 6,000 elevation, we needed to start down the mountain early before the roads iced back up.

    I may be shopping for a Sno-Cat!

    -D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dutch3; 11-16-2010, 2:07 PM.
    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.
  • #2
    Captain Cogle
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 289

    Black Powder is fun. I have shot ALL sorts of guns from some of the most modern weaponry available to true classics and even quite a few machine guns of WW1 and WW2.

    But nothing is quite as satisfying as black powder, to me, the most exhilarating of them all are flintlocks.
    "And away to the hills, to the caves and the rocks. Here I own a usurper I'll couch with the fox. So tremble false whigs in the midst of your glee. For you've not seen the last of my bonnets and me"
    Lyrics from the song "Bonnie Dundee"
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Dutch3
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2010
      • 14181

      Originally posted by Captain Cogle
      But nothing is quite as satisfying as black powder, to me, the most exhilarating of them all are flintlocks.
      I'll get there...for now, I'm concentrated on keeping the caps from falling off!

      (Yes, I pinched them...still lost a couple).

      -D
      Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

      Comment

      • #4
        Captain Cogle
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 289

        Originally posted by Dutch3
        I'll get there...for now, I'm concentrated on keeping the caps from falling off!

        (Yes, I pinched them...still lost a couple).

        -D
        It happens no matter what.
        "And away to the hills, to the caves and the rocks. Here I own a usurper I'll couch with the fox. So tremble false whigs in the midst of your glee. For you've not seen the last of my bonnets and me"
        Lyrics from the song "Bonnie Dundee"
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          mls343
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1543

          I love black powder! It is the ultimate. Nothing like smelling Crisco and smoke. Love it!

          Nice pictures!
          Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
          - Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"

          Comment

          • #6
            Dutch3
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2010
            • 14181

            Originally posted by mls343
            I love black powder! It is the ultimate. Nothing like smelling Crisco and smoke. Love it!

            Nice pictures!
            Thanks! Here are a few more. Sorry for the poor quality, but they were not really "posed", just snapshots. Included youngest daughter with a pellet gun. She actually progressed to a .22 rifle before we left, and scored more hits than her old man...
            Attached Files
            Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

            Comment

            • #7
              wingnut948
              Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 120

              Yes, I agree. The loading process and the smoke are a big part of the fun. My first was a Pietta 1858, and I soon added a couple of Pietta Colt 1860s.

              As it turns out, the Colt is the only one of my revolvers that I can hit consistent bullseyes at 25 yds! Of course, I need to aim about 9 inches low and a little to the right.

              So far I've only used Pyrodex, but hope to use some home-made black powder once I'm happy with the outcome (so far not good enough quality). Looks like you had a great day!
              I love it when a plan comes together.

              Comment

              • #8
                Vee3
                Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 203

                Black powder stuff is just as fun (to me) as shooting modern guns. More relaxing too, as you're forced to slow down due to the loading process. I'm more apt to try to hit the target too, since there's some work involved to load one shot at a time. BP is about $20 a pound now so not inexpensive, but it's definitely 'cheaper by the hour' compared to cartriges.

                A whole 'nuther dimension to BP is when one gets into cannons & mortars...







                "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

                Comment

                • #9
                  Captain Cogle
                  Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 289

                  How about a Leather Cannon?
                  We live fire this bad boy with 3 pound balls.
                  Attached Files
                  "And away to the hills, to the caves and the rocks. Here I own a usurper I'll couch with the fox. So tremble false whigs in the midst of your glee. For you've not seen the last of my bonnets and me"
                  Lyrics from the song "Bonnie Dundee"
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Flintlock Tom
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 3353

                    Originally posted by Dutch3
                    I'll get there...for now, I'm concentrated on keeping the caps from falling off!

                    (Yes, I pinched them...still lost a couple).

                    -D
                    Caps come in two sizes: #10 & #11. If you're using #11s switch to #10s.
                    If you're using #10s and they're still too loose, swap out the nipples to larger ones.
                    Or...switch to flintlock so you don't need to worry about no dang caps.
                    "Everyone must determine for themselves what level of tyranny they are willing to tolerate.
                    I let my CA residency expire in 2015."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dutch3
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 14181

                      Originally posted by Flintlock Tom
                      Caps come in two sizes: #10 & #11. If you're using #11s switch to #10s.
                      If you're using #10s and they're still too loose, swap out the nipples to larger ones.
                      Or...switch to flintlock so you don't need to worry about no dang caps.
                      Thanks...Pietta specs #11. Some have said CCI 11's are too loose and Remington 11's are just right. I was using Remington 11's. Maybe I'll try CCI #10.

                      If I use a BBQ lighter on a flintlock, is that considered cheating?


                      -D
                      Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Captain Cogle
                        Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 289

                        Originally posted by Dutch3
                        Thanks...Pietta specs #11. Some have said CCI 11's are too loose and Remington 11's are just right. I was using Remington 11's. Maybe I'll try CCI #10.

                        If I use a BBQ lighter on a flintlock, is that considered cheating?


                        -D
                        1. Why would you use a BBQ lighter on a flintlock?

                        2. If you want direct flame in the pan to ignite your powder, then get a Matchlock. I have one I would be happy to let you try. Flintlocks as well for that matter.... And any number of other old lock mechanisms. Snaplocks, Snaphaunces, Matchlocks, English Locks, Doglocks, Flintlocks, Wheel locks, Cap locks, you get the idea.
                        "And away to the hills, to the caves and the rocks. Here I own a usurper I'll couch with the fox. So tremble false whigs in the midst of your glee. For you've not seen the last of my bonnets and me"
                        Lyrics from the song "Bonnie Dundee"
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dutch3
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 14181

                          Originally posted by Captain Cogle
                          How about a Leather Cannon?
                          We live fire this bad boy with 3 pound balls.
                          My hat is off to you, sir.

                          It is one thing to fire 25 grains in a reproduction revolver...but a leather cannon? What kind of charge do you use to fire those balls?

                          -D
                          Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dutch3
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 14181

                            Originally posted by Captain Cogle
                            1. Why would you use a BBQ lighter on a flintlock?
                            Because with my luck, it would go "SNAP...fizzzz" ...ad infinitum...

                            Originally posted by Captain Cogle
                            2. If you want direct flame in the pan to ignite your powder, then get a Matchlock. I have one I would be happy to let you try. Flintlocks as well for that matter.... And any number of other old lock mechanisms. Snaplocks, Snaphaunces, Matchlocks, English Locks, Doglocks, Flintlocks, Wheel locks, Cap locks, you get the idea.
                            It sounds like you have quite a collection of reliable firearms. I assume familiarity breeds success in this.

                            -D
                            Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Captain Cogle
                              Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 289

                              Originally posted by Dutch3
                              My hat is off to you, sir.

                              It is one thing to fire 25 grains in a reproduction revolver...but a leather cannon? What kind of charge do you use to fire those balls?

                              -D
                              We use about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of powder every shot depending on projectile and range. Solid shot or Canister shot.

                              The Cannon isnt 100% leather. Its copied from an original in Edinburgh Scotland same as was used by Scottish and Swedish troops in the 30 years war and the English Civil Wars. Its a copper tube with framework that the leather is built around. They were revolutionary in that they were the first light field artillery that could be taken any where quickly, even disassembled and each man hauling a piece. The only draw back to them was they could not keep a prolonged sustaining fire maybe 20 shots before the copper tube and leather gets too hot.

                              Sorry, too much information probably.
                              "And away to the hills, to the caves and the rocks. Here I own a usurper I'll couch with the fox. So tremble false whigs in the midst of your glee. For you've not seen the last of my bonnets and me"
                              Lyrics from the song "Bonnie Dundee"
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1