Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buck and ball

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Scarecrow Repair
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 2425

    Buck and ball

    I have an 1842 .69 Springfield musket coming soon, and I'd like to try the "buck and ball" load -- the more holes the merrier.

    I also have an 1861 .58 Springfield rifle. I load that with either pre-greased patch and ball or greased Minie. Not that I intend to shoot buck and ball from the rifle, but that's where my knowledge pretty much ends.

    What is the proper procedure for loading buck and ball? If I add three buckshot after the ball, what keeps them from falling out? Are there wads available for that?

    How many and what size buckshot?

    I have a couple of blackpowder books, but they don't mention these details. Heck, they don't even say anything useful about buck and ball, other than a mention of buck and ball in separate barrels of a double barreled shotgun.

    Say, while I'm at it ... I accidentally ordered some Minie balls in .69 instead of .58. Is there any problem firing them from the 1842 smoothbore? Might not be very useful, but I'd hate to just melt them down without trying at least a few first.
    Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm
  • #2
    socalguns
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1707

    This seems correct

    Buck and ball was issued in paper cartridges that combined the projectiles with the black powder propellant charge to facilitate rapid loading of the weapon. The buckshot would set in front of the ball, so that the ball would act as a gas seal for the buckshot. Like any other paper cartridge, the rear of the cartridge would be torn open to expose the powder, which would be loaded, and the remaining paper, balls, and buckshot would be rammed down on top.
    "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you."

    Comment

    • #3
      Scarecrow Repair
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 2425

      Yeh, but what holds the buckshot in? The ball is held in place by the patch, but the bucks are loose. Seems like you'd need some kind of wad to be put in on top of everything.
      Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

      Comment

      • #4
        socalguns
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1707

        The paper (you never remove the ball/shot from the paper).
        Take a look at the picture here

        "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you."

        Comment

        • #5
          Scarecrow Repair
          Senior Member
          • May 2006
          • 2425

          Originally posted by socalguns
          The paper (you never remove the ball/shot from the paper).
          Take a look at the picture here

          http://www.iusb.edu/~journal/2000/stanage.html
          I've seen that report before, pretty interesting. But I've never made paper cartridges. I am pretty new to muzzle loading but sure having a blast.

          If I want to make those cartridges, how do I do it -- where do I get the paper? I have heard of muzzle loaders who tear open the paper with their teeth, dump in the powder, throw the paper down as a wad, ram the bullet, etc etc, but this sounds different, like you dump the entire cartridge in, intact. How does the cap light off the powder if it is in the cartridge?
          Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

          Comment

          • #6
            redneckshootist
            In Memoriam
            • Mar 2006
            • 1928

            I've never shot buck and ball loads but I do have a muzzle loading shotgun and I just use card board and poster board cut to just oversize so that it makes a tight seal. you will want to have an over powder wad and a overshot wad but I would weigh the ball plus the buck together dont go over an ounce of lead (ruffly 430grains) with 80 grains of powder by volume. I use that load in my 12gadge muzzle loading shotgun.
            07 FFL Woodland, CA
            please call Norse Armory 530-661-0900 for all questions regarding the gun shop.
            you can also email me direct at MValentine@norsearmory.net

            Comment

            • #7
              redneckshootist
              In Memoriam
              • Mar 2006
              • 1928

              I almost forgot the cardboard goes over the powder and the poster board goes over the shot.
              07 FFL Woodland, CA
              please call Norse Armory 530-661-0900 for all questions regarding the gun shop.
              you can also email me direct at MValentine@norsearmory.net

              Comment

              • #8
                socalguns
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1707

                You got the right idea, you tear off the back and pour the powder,
                you fold over the end you tore and ram the whole thing down.
                That's the way Gunny does it

                One way to make'em
                "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you."

                Comment

                • #9
                  Scarecrow Repair
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2006
                  • 2425

                  Originally posted by redneckshootist
                  I almost forgot the cardboard goes over the powder and the poster board goes over the shot.
                  That's for straight buckshot, right? If I run a patched full size ball down first, no need for anything between powder and ball, I think.
                  Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Scarecrow Repair
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 2425

                    Originally posted by socalguns
                    Now that looks interesting. I will have to look for rolling papers. I wonder if there are any head shops around here ....
                    Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      redneckshootist
                      In Memoriam
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 1928

                      Originally posted by Scarecrow Repair
                      That's for straight buckshot, right? If I run a patched full size ball down first, no need for anything between powder and ball, I think.
                      the over powder wad is mainly a gas seal whitch is what the patch deos so if you used a patched round ball you wouldnt need the over powder was just an overshot wad to prevent seperation of the buck and ball.

                      I like that paper setup I will have to try that this weekend and see how it goes. It would shure make loading easier
                      07 FFL Woodland, CA
                      please call Norse Armory 530-661-0900 for all questions regarding the gun shop.
                      you can also email me direct at MValentine@norsearmory.net

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        socalguns
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1707

                        You could probably get away with anything thiN enough,
                        newsprint, regular notebook paper,
                        wax paper. Probably cheaper than rolling papers
                        would be tissue paper, the kind used for gift-wrapping
                        and pattern-tracing (seamstress...)
                        "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Scarecrow Repair
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2006
                          • 2425

                          I bought some rolling papers at the grocery store, $1.09 for 100. That's cheap enough.

                          I am still waiting for the 1842 Springfield to arrive, slow shipping ...
                          Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            redneckshootist
                            In Memoriam
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 1928

                            range report on using rolling papers idea. for the 36cal pistol, and 44cal cap and ball it worked great and it shure sped up the loading process, but the papers were too small for .530 round balls so I will have to try something else
                            07 FFL Woodland, CA
                            please call Norse Armory 530-661-0900 for all questions regarding the gun shop.
                            you can also email me direct at MValentine@norsearmory.net

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Scarecrow Repair
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2006
                              • 2425

                              Originally posted by redneckshootist
                              range report on using rolling papers idea. for the 36cal pistol, and 44cal cap and ball it worked great and it shure sped up the loading process, but the papers were too small for .530 round balls so I will have to try something else
                              That's interesting. Could you use two papers per cartridge? I am going to be trying some .69 caliber ones and might run into that problem.

                              A black powder reenactor at the Woodland Scottish Games said he just used shotgun wads for his buck and ball, and that since he liked to hit what he was aiming at, he didn't shoot the smoothbore often enough for the cost to be a problem.

                              But roll-your-own cartridges still might be handy to speed things up.
                              Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1