Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Restocking an Enfield.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • toolittletoolate
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 69

    Restocking an Enfield.

    I had a crazy idea pop into my head last night while I was trying to fall asleep. Had the crazy thought to restock my Enfield No4 Mk1*. Thought about doing the butt and fore end portion in a nice Maple or Walnut, then the top hand guards in Ebony. Just thought I'd share it. Hoping I can afford to do this sometime soon. I know wood isn't going to be cheap.
  • #2
    AngryPossum
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 1414

    I had a crazy idea pop into my head last night while I was trying to fall asleep. Had the crazy thought to restock my Enfield No4 Mk1*. Thought about doing the butt and fore end portion in a nice Maple or Walnut, then the top hand guards in Ebony. Just thought I'd share it. Hoping I can afford to do this sometime soon. I know wood isn't going to be cheap.
    Sure you weren't having a nightmare? just kidding. You gotta post some pics when your done!!!
    Last edited by AngryPossum; 06-16-2010, 8:12 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      a.tinkerer
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 808

      Go Lee-Speed style.












      Cheers
      Tinker
      Originally posted by gcvt
      This is how Penthouse Forum stories start.
      Originally posted by Caligula36
      Dear lord, please let there be butt stuff involved.

      Comment

      • #4
        toolittletoolate
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 69

        Originally posted by a.tinkerer
        Go Lee-Speed style.
        Cheers
        Tinker
        I want to keep it looking original just with an added flair.

        Comment

        • #5
          NaughtyMonkey
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 1832

          Keep the original furniture, just my opinion.
          -General George S. Patton Jr.
          "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

          http://m1family.com
          M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.

          Comment

          • #6
            toolittletoolate
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 69

            I will be keeping the original furniture. I just wanted to do something to make it look 1 of a kind, etc. I really like the look of quilted maple, but I know w/e I want is going to be mucho $$$
            Does anyone think a wood looks better then a nice, lighter color quilted maple, with ebony top had guards?

            Comment

            • #7
              gun toting monkeyboy
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2008
              • 6820

              Originally posted by NaughtyMonkey
              Keep the original furniture, just my opinion.
              ^+1

              If you want to play Bubba, go find an Enfield that some other Bubba has already butchered. Don't go destroying a decent piece of history just because you get the urge to make your gun look a bit different. Bubba'd guns are cheaper to buy, and they have already lost all of their historical value.

              -Mb
              Originally posted by aplinker
              It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

              Comment

              • #8
                toolittletoolate
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 69

                I was waiting for someone to come in and rant about "bubbain" a gun. In case you guys havn't read what I plan to do, I don't plan on doing anything other then taking my orig stock off, setting it aside and making a new one out of the woods I said. No historical value will be lost. No metal will be touched so don't worry. And please don't post anymore about me not turning my Enfield into Bubba when I have said nothing to that effect at all.

                Comment

                • #9
                  gun toting monkeyboy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 6820

                  Originally posted by toolittletoolate
                  I was waiting for someone to come in and rant about "bubbain" a gun. In case you guys havn't read what I plan to do, I don't plan on doing anything other then taking my orig stock off, setting it aside and making a new one out of the woods I said. No historical value will be lost. No metal will be touched so don't worry. And please don't post anymore about me not turning my Enfield into Bubba when I have said nothing to that effect at all.
                  Sorry, I thought you meant you were taking the wood off and adding the new wood to the old stock. If you ain't bubba-ing it up, go for it. New stocks that don't alter the old stock or make permanant changes don't fall under the "bubba" catagory. And I would look at some of the old enfield stocks like the one posted by one of the previous members. One of those in something blonde with good movement would be sweet. And no comments from the pervs in the peanut gallery on that one.
                  Originally posted by aplinker
                  It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Milsurp Collector
                    Calguns Addict
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 5884

                    I don't see any problems with what you are planning as the changes are completely reversible.

                    Check out http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/pricing.html You can send them your original stock and handguards and they can make duplicates out of any exotic woods you want. You have to send the wood blank(s) for them to shape, here is one source http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

                    Here's a Garand with a fancy maple stock.
                    Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 06-18-2010, 1:20 PM.
                    Revolvers are not pistols

                    pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                    Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                    ExitCalifornia.org

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      toolittletoolate
                      Junior Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 69

                      Originally posted by Milsurp Collector
                      I don't see any problems with what you are planning as the changes are completely reversible.

                      Check out http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/pricing.html You can send them your original stock and handguards and they can make duplicates out of any exotic woods you want. You have to send the wood blank(s) for them to shape, here is one source http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

                      Here's a Garand with a fancy maple stock.
                      Great info thanks. I want to do all the shaping my self. I've got a friend thats a cabinet maker, who's really good as well. Plus I want to make sure I make it the way I want it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Milsurp Collector
                        Calguns Addict
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5884

                        Originally posted by toolittletoolate
                        Great info thanks. I want to do all the shaping my self. I've got a friend thats a cabinet maker, who's really good as well. Plus I want to make sure I make it the way I want it.
                        The buttstock and handguards are straightforward, but making a new forestock is not simple. You will have to inlet the forestock for the action, and you'll need inletting screws http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1...g_Guide_Screws

                        See Inletting actions by novices: more to it than meets the eye. You might want to have a pro do the forestock while you do the buttstock and handguards. Exotic wood isn't cheap, I'm just trying to save you possible expen$e and frustration.
                        Revolvers are not pistols

                        pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                        Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                        ExitCalifornia.org

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          toolittletoolate
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 69

                          Originally posted by Milsurp Collector
                          The buttstock and handguards are straightforward, but making a new forestock is not simple. You will have to inlet the forestock for the action, and you'll need inletting screws http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1...g_Guide_Screws

                          See Inletting actions by novices: more to it than meets the eye. You might want to have a pro do the forestock while you do the buttstock and handguards. Exotic wood isn't cheap, I'm just trying to save you possible expen$e and frustration.
                          Once again thanks for the info. The inletting is the only part I'm a little worried about. I'll looking to having that part done. I am going to have a smith remove the barrel from the action for me.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            knucklehead0202
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 4087

                            i love these posts, they bring out the "Bubba" nazis. while i'll agree that beautiful original rifles shouldn't be messed with, it's your rifle so do what you want. as it stands, this gentleman obviously just wants a nicer-looking original-style stock. if you're an experienced woodworker, by all means, do it up and post the pics. enfields are a whore as far as stocks go and i wouldn't dream of messing with my original No.5 Mk.1, but with a basic run-of-the-mill No.4 why not? bear in mind that the 2-piece stock of the enfield is one part of the reason enfields are not world-reknowned for being accurate, but if you fit it right, it should be okay and look prettier. not much of a wood expert, but the darker the color, the prettier in my opinion. go for it, good luck, and i want to see pictures. do it to it and don't let the elitists get you down.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              eighteenninetytwo
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1545

                              just a wee point in defence of the LE, but whilst they might not be reknowned NOW for being accurate, until about world war 2 people were using No.1 Mk3 SMLE's for iron sight shooting out to 1000 yards thank you very much and into the 1960's the DCRA (Dominion of Canada Rifle Association) was still coverting No.4;s to 7.62mm for service rifle competitions due to their accuracy. This despite being designed in the early 1900's as a battle rifle and having won a couple of minor worldwide skirmishes with the squareheads.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1