Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mexican mauser questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bluerider
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 56

    Mexican mauser questions

  • #2
    Milsurp Collector
    Calguns Addict
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 5884

    Originally posted by bluerider
    I recently received a 1924 Belgian made Mexican Mauser and I have a few questions about it:

    It has a 16" barrel and I was wondering what the twist rate is and what bullet it was designed to shoot. Along those lines does any one have any recommendations for a bullet/powder combo?
    7x57 twist rate was 1 in 9"

    For loads see



    My out of control gun buying habit got me again, this time in the way of a Winchester model 70 in 7x57. What are the good loads?
    Revolvers are not pistols

    pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
    Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

    ExitCalifornia.org

    Comment

    • #3
      diginit
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 3250

      No Se'

      The front sight should have a hood. Check gunbroker.com. They're a dime a dozen.

      Comment

      • #4
        TRAP55
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2008
        • 5536

        Standard twist rate was 1-9" for the 175grn ball ammo. Twist rates varied from 1-8.5" to 1-10".
        The Mexicans used 155 and 162grn ball, and that's what your sights are set for. I've had great results with 139gr.
        There is an unusual bracket on the right side of the butt stock. I have been told that this was for some type of rack. Does anyone have a pic or a reference to what any of those racks looked like or how they were used.
        You lucky dog, you need to post some pics, but I think you have a rare Mexican Cavalry Carbine. The "bracket" if rectangle shaped, is a saddle ring of sorts. Get some pics up!
        Last edited by TRAP55; 05-27-2010, 2:58 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          nick
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Aug 2008
          • 19152

          Is that Mauser US-legal?
          DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

          DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            TRAP55
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 5536

            Yep, barrel length just barely makes it.

            Comment

            • #7
              nick
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Aug 2008
              • 19152

              Originally posted by TRAP55
              Yep, barrel length just barely makes it.
              Not quite what I meant, but that works, too
              DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

              DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                mievil
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2008
                • 1788

                Originally posted by nick
                Is that Mauser US-legal?
                yuk, yuk, yuk

                Comment

                • #9
                  TRICKSTER
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 12438

                  Originally posted by nick
                  Is that Mauser US-legal?
                  It's legal in 49 states. AZ is questionable.


                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FNH5-7
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 9407

                    Originally posted by TRICKSTER
                    It's legal in 49 states. AZ is questionable.
                    Good one. lol
                    Originally posted by FalconLair
                    I weep for my country and what it is becoming.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jamesob
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 4821

                      you better hope its a legal one, transporting an illegal is a felony.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        nick
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 19152

                        Originally posted by jamesob
                        you better hope its a legal one, transporting an illegal is a felony.
                        No biggie, it's not enforced in CA.
                        DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                        DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bluerider
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 56

                          Originally posted by TRAP55
                          Standard twist rate was 1-9" for the 175grn ball ammo. Twist rates varied from 1-8.5" to 1-10".
                          The Mexicans used 155 and 162grn ball, and that's what your sights are set for. I've had great results with 139gr.

                          You lucky dog, you need to post some pics, but I think you have a rare Mexican Cavalry Carbine. The "bracket" if rectangle shaped, is a saddle ring of sorts. Get some pics up!
                          Thanks for the info on bullet wright, that is exacvtly what I was looking for. I have been having problems getting 120 gr spitzers on paper at 50 yrds. I can get them tio group nicely at 15 yrds but as I go further out nothing. Now I have a direction to look.

                          Yes it is the short cavalry carbine. When I hear the word cavalry I think horses and I am having a hard time imagining how that bracket would attach to a saddle.

                          Sorry for the delay with pics here are a few and if anyone would like to see something not pictured let me know.




                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TRAP55
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 5536

                            That's what you have, I'm envious!
                            Take care of it, you have a good investment.
                            Those Mex Mausers weren't very well taken care of. Take it apart for a good cleaning, if you haven't already. There's likely heavy rust under the wood that needs to be cleaned up and oiled. The stock will clean up with a good rub down of linseed oil and 0000 steel wool. Wipe the inside of the stock down the same way.
                            I've never seen how that bracket works on a saddle mount, it's definitely one of a kind on Mausers.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mike A
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 1209

                              I have had an identical carbine for many years; bought it from a retired bank guard who had been a federal cop before that. These are Mexican police, not army weapons.

                              A really great collector's item--I'm not sure what "rare" really means any more, but you WON'T find another. Like most FN products, they are beautifully made. And it DO "bark"!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1