Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

NO. 4 MARK 2 ENFIELD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • B&B Armory
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 82

    NO. 4 MARK 2 ENFIELD

    I HAVE BEEN OFFERED NEVER USED ENFIELD WITH THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBER - UF 55 A 2218.

    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEA OF WHAT THIS IS WORTH AND WHETHER THE SERIAL NUMBER IS LEGIT.
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    Originally posted by B&B Armory
    I HAVE BEEN OFFERED NEVER USED ENFIELD WITH THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBER - UF 55 A 2218.

    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEA OF WHAT THIS IS WORTH AND WHETHER THE SERIAL NUMBER IS LEGIT.
    The "UF" is a code for the producer, which I believe is "Fazakerley'. The "55" is a code for 1955 which was the year it was made. The remaining A2218 is the true serial number.

    Depending on condition they go from around $200 or less in fair condition. To over $700 in like new, unissued perfect condition. Without detailed and clear photos it's impossible to give any real estimate as to a rifles worth.

    It should look like this.

    Yes the information you received is "legit". But the true serial number is A2218


    Last edited by SVT-40; 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM.
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      littlejake
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 2168

      Originally posted by B&B Armory
      I HAVE BEEN OFFERED NEVER USED ENFIELD WITH THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBER - UF 55 A 2218.

      CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEA OF WHAT THIS IS WORTH AND WHETHER THE SERIAL NUMBER IS LEGIT.
      It's legit. It was made in 1955 at the Royal Ordinance Fazerkley. The valid SN range is from UF55Axxxx to UF55A34567. Likely is either in or just out of the mummy wrap.

      My source is:
      British Enfield Rifles
      Volume 2
      2nd Edition, Revised
      Lee-Enfield
      No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles
      Charles R. Shelton

      A Calguns.net advertiser has one for $1000. Check 4th from bottom at:
      BUY, SELL, & TRADE guns. Law Enforcement and civilian sales. TRANSFER DEALER. California legal. We ship worldwide.


      post script: Stratton considers the UF55 as part of the serial number as the A prefix was used in 1941, 1942, and 1945.
      Last edited by littlejake; 05-26-2010, 4:02 PM. Reason: add p.s.
      Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
      My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
      Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

      "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
      William Pitt (1759-1806)

      Comment

      • #4
        slagusmc
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 1092

        I think one was recently sold in as new unissued condition on here for about $350...$350 was a good price though, i would have bought it myself but it was already spoken for

        Comment

        • #5
          B&B Armory
          Junior Member
          • May 2010
          • 82

          Originally posted by SVT-40
          The "UF" is a code for the producer, which I believe is "Fazakerley'. The "55" is a code for 1955 which was the year it was made. The remaining A2218 is the true serial number.

          Depending on condition they go from around $200 or less in fair condition. To over $700 in like new, unissued perfect condition. Without detailed and clear photos it's impossible to give any real estimate as to a rifles worth.

          It should look like this.

          Yes the information you received is "legit". But the true serial number is A2218


          The rifle looks very similar to your photo. They are asking $725. What is your thought on the price.

          Comment

          • #6
            littlejake
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 2168

            If you are into Enfields, go for it. People try to sell these for well over $1k on gunbroker.

            These are the last Enfield's produced; and finding one in new, or like new condition is becoming rare.

            I am considering picking up that No4 Mk2 at Gunrunners for $1k.
            Last edited by littlejake; 05-26-2010, 7:24 AM. Reason: xxx
            Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
            My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
            Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

            "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
            William Pitt (1759-1806)

            Comment

            • #7
              Palimino Stripe
              Senior Member
              • May 2009
              • 658

              For $725 bucks you could by 2 or 3 Lee Enfields of slightly lesser condition...

              Some people scoff at the idea- but I would MUCH rather having a cheaper gun that has a little character rather than a mint example. Why? Because if you have the brand new one- every time you accidentally put a ding or scratch on it- there goes $XX of it's value...

              Now if it was priced MUCH cheaper- that's a different story. If you bought it for $350 (for example) and put a ding on it- it's still worth substantially more...

              Just my .02,
              -Palimino
              http://www.freedomainradio.com/

              Comment

              • #8
                eighteenninetytwo
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 1545

                You can never pay too much for a rifle that isn't being made anymore - you just buy them a little bit too soon.

                I paid $400 for one of these 3 years ago and that was alot at the time, but I got to take it out of the mummy wrap and clean it up and I know I'm the only one who's ever really shot it. The key here is that everyday another one of these rifles gets trashed, or bubbaed, or left uncleaned after firing corrosive ammo and the supplies will eventually dry up or pristine examples. Get it while you can.

                Comment

                • #9
                  John Sukey
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 55

                  So where else can you get a BRAND NEW 55 year old military surplus rifle?
                  Buy it. (I have two that I unwrapped.) and they came with the bayonet and sling.
                  Now there are some folks who say you shouldn't unwrap them "cause they is more valable" that way. But then I always thought that's like having a 2x4 in the same wrap. The guy who buys it from your estate is going to unwrap and shoot the thing.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    smle-man
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 10605

                    Hi John, welcome to Calguns!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      smle-man
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 10605

                      Originally posted by eighteenninetytwo
                      You can never pay too much for a rifle that isn't being made anymore - you just buy them a little bit too soon.

                      I paid $400 for one of these 3 years ago and that was alot at the time, but I got to take it out of the mummy wrap and clean it up and I know I'm the only one who's ever really shot it. The key here is that everyday another one of these rifles gets trashed, or bubbaed, or left uncleaned after firing corrosive ammo and the supplies will eventually dry up or pristine examples. Get it while you can.
                      I bought mine new in the wrap at the old Turners shop in Pasadena. I didn't hesitate to unwrap it, degrease it and shoot it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Full Clip
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 10266

                        I bought a MINT #4 Mk2 for $500 a couple years ago...
                        Hmmm...
                        Methinks I'm even happier now than I was then.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          B&B Armory
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 82

                          Well, I do love enfields, but have heard that unwrapped should be going for about 450, and i would much rather be getting a wrapped one for the same price of 725. I like the feeling of opening the rifle and knowing im the one who is the very first to put one down the barrel. I do have two other enfileds tho, a 1942 Canadian Long Branch No4 Mk2, and a 1918 Enfield manufacture No1 Mk3* I love both of these rifles and would love to pick up the cousin, just not for that ammount, any ideas on where you can find these? I have done business at Gunrunners, but hate the staff over there (PERSONAL OPINION!!!). I feel that if you don't want my money, I won't give it to you.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SVT-40
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 12907

                            $725 is not crazy...Money has different values to each of us. If the rifle really "talks" to you then you might consider it. One thing to look out for in the still wrapped Enfields is stock staining. I have seen more than a few "new in the wrap Enfield" rifles that when the paper was removed revealed substantial staining on the stocks and forend.

                            For me I would go with a unwrapped rifle as you are guaranteed in seeing what you will receive.

                            I work for www.gunslingerauctions.com We sold two late dated Enfield rifles at our auction this last Sat. One was pretty much as new but with a 80 % bore. It sold for $600 plus fees. Which puts the total at around $700 The other was in about 70% condition and sold for $225 plus fees. Which puts the total at around $285.

                            Check the web site and look at lots #97 and 284. Lot 284 is the excellent condition rifle. It has some small stains on it's stock, which were from the cosmoline found under the storage paper.
                            Poke'm with a stick!


                            Originally posted by fiddletown
                            What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1