Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I need help with a Mosin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jben
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2008
    • 2042

    I need help with a Mosin

    My Calguns search/google fu is weak tonight.

    I'm thinking of buying a friends M91/30. I admit I'm new to Mosins but I've never heard of or seen one like this. It appears to be all stainless steel. Receiver, barrel, bolt, furniture clamps and bayonet. Round receiver. It has the Izhevsk mark and was imported by CAI.

    Anybody know anything about a stainless Mosin? Value compared to a normal one?
  • #2
    Beetle Bailey
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2004
    • 2620

    Never heard of a stainless steel Mosin. Maybe it has been hardchromed? I remember there was a dealer who was hardchroming M44 Mosin Carbines. Maybe someone had a 91/30 hardchromed.
    "All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

    Comment

    • #3
      jben
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2008
      • 2042

      Originally posted by Beetle Bailey
      Never heard of a stainless steel Mosin. Maybe it has been hardchromed? I remember there was a dealer who was hardchroming M44 Mosin Carbines. Maybe someone had a 91/30 hardchromed.
      Would the import marks go on before or after the chroming? They are still very sharp.

      Comment

      • #4
        Eddie1965
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 1465

        Is it nice and shinny? Or is it kind of a dull grey color? If it is shinny some one down the line had it chromed like the previous poster said and if it a dull grey color more than likely all the blueing has been removed. I have a Romanian contract VZ-24 like that, some one told me that they used anti-freeze on them in the Eastern front to prevent them from freezing and by doing so they removed all the finish on the metal and the stocks turned black.
        When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
        For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

        Comment

        • #5
          jben
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Oct 2008
          • 2042

          Definitely shiny. It's not bare steel. Where we live it would be a pile of rust if there was no treatment. This thing is very clean. I'm used to chrome finishes being "shinier" than stainless but I suppose this could be chromed. I've been fooled before!

          I've never seen a gun that was refinished. Would the process leave the original arsenal marks visible?

          Comment

          • #6
            cryoguy
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 865

            I wouldnt mind seeing some pics
            sigpic



            Ruger KSR9 9mm
            Remington 870 Wingmaster 16Ga

            Comment

            • #7
              hypnoman
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 1043

              I've heard and seen some chrome Mosin Nagant, though I can't recall the dealer offering them. Are you looking for a Mosin for shooting or collecting? Big5 has them on sale today for $99. If you want accuracy, you might find out from your friend how well it shoots. If he'll let you, you might slug his bore so you'll both know how well it handles the ammo available. These bores can vary quite a bit, I have 4 and they range from .310 to .314, while most commercial and surplus ammo is only roughly .310 to .311. One thing is for sure with Mosins: 7.62 does NOT usually shoot the Nato .308 with accuracy
              Last edited by hypnoman; 03-12-2010, 8:41 PM.
              FS: ammo and primers http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10352151

              FS: Pietta .44 revolver http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=712115

              FS: Romanian PSL matching numbers parts kit http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10676211

              Comment

              • #8
                Beetle Bailey
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2004
                • 2620

                Dunno about the import marks or the process of hardchroming. If it was hardchromed by a private entity, it's not gonna have any collector value. Its only value will be as a shooter.

                I am not aware of any countries that used hardchromed Mosins, but IF, and that is a big "IF", some country did, it would probably be a "parade rifle". But if I had to guess, I'd say someone probably had it hardchromed to jazz up the looks. HTH
                "All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

                Comment

                • #9
                  mievil
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 1788

                  Classic Arms was just selling a batch of chromed Mosins that they had done. They just dug around in their bins and found ones and had them chromed. Ugh.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jben
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 2042

                    Originally posted by cryoguy
                    I wouldnt mind seeing some pics
                    Sorry. The camera is at the office and I'm dial-up impaired here at home.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mievil
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 1788

                      Pics from Classic:







                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jben
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 2042

                        Thanks for all the quick replies. You guys are awesome! especially mievel. It looks like the Classic Arms is it except this one has a laminate stock. I assumed CAI on the receiver was Century Arms...

                        I didn't think there would be a stainless Mosin

                        I'm only looking for a shooter and this one would be cheaper than Big5. My friend has never shot it but he left it with me for the weekend with a pile of ammo. I'll take it to the woods tomorrow and see how it shoots.

                        Thanks everyone.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Rem1492
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 666

                          like above.

                          1. Could be the classic bling one, with ZERO historical value and probably no range value, unless you like glaring sunlight in your eyes when trying to aim from all the bling going on.

                          2. Could be a refinish some bubba did in cold blue

                          3. Could be legit, non arsenal refurbed mosin with original bluing. which is worth MORE than the nice smooth black refinished ones.
                          C-130Herk and AK-lover

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Z ME FLY
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 6590

                            How much is your friend looking to sell it for? I would probably pick it up if it was in decent condition and wasn't more than a normal mosin. So I would pay max $125-150
                            Originally posted by 69Mach1
                            The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                            Originally posted by 69Mach1
                            Z gets around. lol

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Milsurp Collector
                              Calguns Addict
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 5884

                              Originally posted by jben
                              I'm only looking for a shooter and this one would be cheaper than Big5.
                              Normal (not pimp-shined) Mosin Nagants are so cheap http://www.royaltigerimports.com/ind...chk=1&Itemid=2 I wouldn't buy that chromed one under any circumstances, no matter how cheap, unless you are planning on serving on the honor guard at Lenin's tomb.

                              Revolvers are not pistols

                              pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                              Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                              ExitCalifornia.org

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1