Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mosin Nagant Bayonet Usage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Robidouxs
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1684

    Mosin Nagant Bayonet Usage

    For anyone that has removed the bayonet on their rifle , does it provide an increase of balance in the rifle? (specifically an M44, but any other Nagants will do) Do you find the rifle easier to utilize at the range after removing the bayonet? Any reason to remove the bayonet?
    Life is like having a map with precise directions and exact stops, you find out that your directions and stops change as you progress further down your original map.
  • #2
    wilit
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2005
    • 5213

    Everything I've read about the M44's says they actually shoot better with the bayonet on and extended.
    "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
    "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
    "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Palimino Stripe
      Senior Member
      • May 2009
      • 658

      ^ In theory that goes for ALL Mosin Nagants actually. Supposedly ALL Mosins (except M38's) were sighted with bayonets on. Why? Because they were NEVER supposed to be taken off. Except when the situation demands it (i.e. driving in a car).

      -Palimino
      http://www.freedomainradio.com/

      Comment

      • #4
        Meety Peety
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2008
        • 3216

        Yep, Mosins were sighted with the bayonet on and extended. Many of them will shoot low left with the bayonet closed and who knows where with it completely removed. You can simply adjust your sights to be on target with the bayonet removed if its not shooting where you want it to go. I believe 7.62x54r.net can cite this somewhere.
        "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

        Comment

        • #5
          Robidouxs
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 1684

          Just to verify, you are indicating that the M44 actually shoots better with the bayonet fully extended?
          Life is like having a map with precise directions and exact stops, you find out that your directions and stops change as you progress further down your original map.

          Comment

          • #6
            AngryPossum
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 1414

            Originally posted by Robidouxs
            Just to verify, you are indicating that the M44 actually shoots better with the bayonet fully extended?
            Most of the information I have read confirms this...so Yes. I will admit though...at the range I have yet to extend the bayonet on any of my M44's. It's kind of a pain to clean all the extra corrosive crap off the bayonet. This is coming from someone who will clean there rifle for hours if need be after a range trip, so the bayonet just adds extra headache. When I go to my buddies property I will extend it and have fun all day though...but for a couple hours at the range it's not worth it to me...most of the time.

            Comment

            • #7
              Meety Peety
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 3216

              Its not 100% either way, theres no way to really claim it as such, but yes, typically your M44 is going to be the most accurate with the bayonet attached and extended. Keep in mind it has nothing to do with the gun itself and everything to do with the sights/shooter. You have no way of knowing if the sight configuration was ever changed in one way or another to change the way it shoots.. thus its not 100% certain that it will be more accurate with the bayonet extended.. or if the gun will even be accurate at all with its given configuration. All this means is that its very very likely that the sight configuration was not changed and that in most cases, an M44 will be most accurate with the bayonet extended. Don't try to sue me if you are one of the few cases where this isn't true lol.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

              Comment

              • #8
                cryoguy
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 865

                I use the bayonet from my Mosin as a prybar...
                sigpic



                Ruger KSR9 9mm
                Remington 870 Wingmaster 16Ga

                Comment

                • #9
                  Lurch762
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 962

                  I've shot my Type 53 (Chinese M44) with the bayonet extended and folded and did not see a difference in POI but it was only at 25 yards. Bayo extended, the rifle does feel more balanced. My 91/59 feels better balanced than any of the M44's I have but since it's lighter, it recoils significantly harder with the same ammo. Shooting heavy ball thru both rifles, the Type 53 was stout but the 91/59 hurt and although it caused some soreness and bruising, I really like it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Lurch762
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 962

                    Originally posted by cryoguy
                    I use the bayonet from my Mosin as a prybar...
                    LOL, the bayonet on one of my Type 53's looks like it was used to dig up potatoes!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Milsurp Collector
                      Calguns Addict
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 5884

                      See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=27
                      Revolvers are not pistols

                      pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                      Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                      ExitCalifornia.org

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        seanbo
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 1161

                        Zombie kebab!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pullnshoot25
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 8068

                          Originally posted by AngryPossum
                          Most of the information I have read confirms this...so Yes. I will admit though...at the range I have yet to extend the bayonet on any of my M44's. It's kind of a pain to clean all the extra corrosive crap off the bayonet. This is coming from someone who will clean there rifle for hours if need be after a range trip, so the bayonet just adds extra headache. When I go to my buddies property I will extend it and have fun all day though...but for a couple hours at the range it's not worth it to me...most of the time.
                          I verified it with my own rifle, it is true.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bplvr
                            Senior Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 3946

                            There is a completely logical reason for sighting in with the bayonet extended. THINK BRUTAL COMBAT. You are within 100 yards of the enemy and you have superior numbers,but they have become entrenched. If you are close enough to shoot your M44 ,you are close enough to charge any second.You won't have 10 seconds to deploy it . You have your spare clip in your teeth and you are firing on the run across that 100 yards .When you reach the enemy lines you are ready to give them the cold steel.
                            If you are close enough to shoot,....you are close enough to stab.
                            "America will never be destroyed from the outside.
                            If we falter and lose our freedoms,it will be because we destroyed ourselves"

                            -Abraham Lincoln,a summation of a speech given at the Lyceum in 1838
                            =======================================
                            "Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
                            - Benjamin Franklin -1775
                            =======================================

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Flyin Brian
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 3395

                              Originally posted by Meety Peety
                              Its not 100% either way, theres no way to really claim it as such, but yes, typically your M44 is going to be the most accurate with the bayonet attached and extended. Keep in mind it has nothing to do with the gun itself and everything to do with the sights/shooter. You have no way of knowing if the sight configuration was ever changed in one way or another to change the way it shoots.. thus its not 100% certain that it will be more accurate with the bayonet extended.. or if the gun will even be accurate at all with its given configuration. All this means is that its very very likely that the sight configuration was not changed and that in most cases, an M44 will be most accurate with the bayonet extended. Don't try to sue me if you are one of the few cases where this isn't true lol.
                              Maybe it's me but this response doesn't make a whole lot of sense. From what I have read, the M44 is more accurate with the bayo extended due to the harmonics of the barrel and resonance. I don't own an M44 so it's not something I've ever spent too much time worrying about, but your statement to "keep in mind it has nothing to do with the gun itself" goes against most of the results people have posted on numerous forums.
                              NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

                              I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

                              Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
                              I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1