Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mosin Nagant

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SixPointEight
    Veteran Member
    • May 2009
    • 3788

    Mosin Nagant

    My Mosin is about 5 minutes away from becoming a mantle piece lol. I've cleaned it 6x now since the last time I was out shooting and the barrel is still dirty as hell. First used Hoppes #9, then Gunslick Copper remover, Windex, Outers foam, CLP....no matter what I use, I can put some more in the barrel, and get the first patch out that is the blackest most foulest looking thing you've ever seen.

    Mosin owners...is there a point where you just give up and decide the bore will never be clean? I'd really like to see if there's pitting etc in my barrel, but if I can never get it to bare metal I'll never be able to tell.

    I am making progress though, the rifling looks about 2x as deep as the first time I looked at it lol.
  • #2
    Scratch705
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2009
    • 12537

    you can always just plug the barrel, fill it with hoppes, and leave it overnight. then go back and scrub again.

    for me, i gave up after using sweet's bore cleaner twice. i just oiled it and put it away. i wasn't going to waste my entire stock of patches to clean a WW2 gun.

    just thought of something, if you want to get the best accuracy and it is not counterbored. attach your brush to a drill and just goto town on just the end of the barrel. although i would advise to not do it with a metal brush. i use nylon brushes so i know for me it won't damage the steel of the barrel.
    Last edited by Scratch705; 01-27-2010, 4:53 PM.
    Originally posted by leelaw
    Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
    Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
    Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
    Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
    Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

    Comment

    • #3
      SixPointEight
      Veteran Member
      • May 2009
      • 3788

      Bah, I'll buy more of the bulk cotton ones if I need to. Glad to know I'm not the only one that can't get it clean though. I might try boiling water or soaking with hoppes, what do you recommend plugging the barrel with?

      Comment

      • #4
        Scratch705
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2009
        • 12537

        those rubber plugs they sell for bottles or beakers. or just anything that you know won't melt from the hoppes overnight and keep watertight seal.
        Originally posted by leelaw
        Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
        Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
        Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
        Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
        Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

        Comment

        • #5
          Flyin Brian
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Oct 2009
          • 3395

          Have you tried cleaning it when it's hot? When I get another Finn for the collection, I might run a wet patch or two down the bore but I don't bother with any heavy cleaning until I get it to the range. Shoot maybe 20 rounds in 10 minutes and then run a few patches through it and you'll be shocked by what comes out!!
          NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

          I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

          Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
          I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

          Comment

          • #6
            SixPointEight
            Veteran Member
            • May 2009
            • 3788

            I have cleaned it warm, but not hot. Maybe I'll take it to the range tomorrow with the AR and get her super hot and clean it then and there. Also debating trying some boiling water through the bore today to see if that can help

            Comment

            • #7
              trautert
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 653

              Have you thought about an Outer's electric system? Do a google search for do it yourself electolysis cleaning.

              Comment

              • #8
                Scratch705
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2009
                • 12537

                that i may need to try out the next time i bring my mosin out.

                run a few passes with the brushes after firing off rounds quickly to put the most heat into the barrel.
                Originally posted by leelaw
                Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                Comment

                • #9
                  SixPointEight
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 3788

                  Originally posted by trautert
                  Have you thought about an Outer's electric system? Do a google search for do it yourself electolysis cleaning.
                  I've looked into it, but have my doubts about etching the barrel. I may try it on this when I get a nicer bolt gun and this becomes the beater

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cryoguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 865

                    what do you mean etching the barrel? You don't etch it you clean it with electricity.
                    sigpic



                    Ruger KSR9 9mm
                    Remington 870 Wingmaster 16Ga

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Daniel Hunter
                      Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 165

                      How about using a small funnel and a length of tubing and flushing the barrel out from the chamber end with hot water?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Milsurp Collector
                        Calguns Addict
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5884

                        Originally posted by JT1989
                        I've looked into it, but have my doubts about etching the barrel. I may try it on this when I get a nicer bolt gun and this becomes the beater
                        Read this thread featuring experiences with electric bore cleaners http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=258924
                        Revolvers are not pistols

                        pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                        Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                        ExitCalifornia.org

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SixPointEight
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 3788

                          Originally posted by cryoguy
                          what do you mean etching the barrel? You don't etch it you clean it with electricity.
                          There's been some discussion that the same process that that cleans the gun can etch the bore. Read into it. Probably not a big deal, but I wanna do some more reading first

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            coop44
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1445

                            Originally posted by Milsurp Collector
                            Read this thread featuring experiences with electric bore cleaners http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=258924
                            try it it works, I used a couple of cell phone chargers and windex (with ammonia D!!!) total cost was for the rod and stopper<$5

                            If the barrel is that bad don't worry about etching it
                            "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SixPointEight
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2009
                              • 3788

                              Originally posted by coop44
                              try it it works, I used a couple of cell phone chargers and windex (with ammonia D!!!) total cost was for the rod and stopper<$5

                              If the barrel is that bad don't worry about etching it
                              Yeah I've been reading that, I guess I'll give it a try, gotta find that old cell charger and figure out the polarity

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1