Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • B.D.Dubloon
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 4873

    Ammo problem

    I just took my Tokarev to the range for the first time. I was very pleased, had no problems at all. When I was picking up my brass, I noticed that almost all of them (well over 90%) split down the side. I am wondering if this is dangerous and if I shouldn't use the ammo any more. I got it from Sportsman's Guide and I am confident that if this is dangerous to shoot they will take care of me. I got about a thousand bucks of this stuff, is it safe to shoot?

    Thanks.
  • #2
    otteray
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 3246


    More details, please.
    Don't shoot it again until you figure out the cause. Too hot ammo, brittle cases,etc??
    Here is Bulgarian ammo from http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...=50793&start=0

    I don't have one, but I do want to know the cause!
    sigpic
    Single fin mentality

    Comment

    • #3
      harmoniums
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • 3488

      Originally posted by B.D.Dubloon
      I just took my Tokarev to the range for the first time. I was very pleased, had no problems at all. When I was picking up my brass, I noticed that almost all of them (well over 90%) split down the side. I am wondering if this is dangerous and if I shouldn't use the ammo any more. I got it from Sportsman's Guide and I am confident that if this is dangerous to shoot they will take care of me. I got about a thousand bucks of this stuff, is it safe to shoot?

      Thanks.
      Some was loaded hot for PPSHs or so the story goes
      A rim split though bad wont put gas in your face, its the case head separations that are scary
      WTB Irish firearms:
      old SxS shotguns, Enfields (Irish contract or FF marked), RIC marked carbines or revolvers, odd ball flintlocks.

      VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        B.D.Dubloon
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 4873

        Thanks for the link Ray. Yeah, the cases were split just like that one, but usually a little worse in most cases. Also there was scorching on the outside of the cases around the edges of the cracks. I didn't think to save my brass but I can always go make more of them. My gun looks good, I don't think it was damaged at all.

        From looking at that link I am getting the impression that this ammo is probably safe to use.

        Comment

        • #5
          smle-man
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2007
          • 10605

          Neck cracks are cosmetic, nothing to fear. Even a completed case separation while it will put a puff of gas out of the gun is not a problem. The failure that can be deadly is the crack from the primer pocket through the rim. This can damage the gun and you.



          This is what you do not want to experience.

          Comment

          • #6
            B.D.Dubloon
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 4873

            Sounds good then. I would get a little powder or something blown back into my face every now and again, but I assume that is different than what I would get if the primer pocket split like in that pic.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1