Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Paraffin for long time storage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dekker
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1866

    Paraffin for long time storage?

    Is it possible to use Paraffin for long time storage of a rifle?(more specifically the kind used for making candles). I was at my friends house and his Mom makes candles for a living and she has a big vat of it. I'm not talking about taking the entire rifle and dunking it but rather separating the barrel from the stock and giving that a good film over it and inside of the bore. I don't know if there are any chemicals in the in the wax that can have an adverse affect on the metal. I just thought it could be easier than slopping grease on/in it, since I could easily just brush off dried wax.
  • #2
    Dirtbiker
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 2810

    I've stored tools (end mills) using paraffin and it worked great.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

    Thomas Jefferson

    Comment

    • #3
      CalJimbo
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 25

      I see that this post is a little old, but I've been wondering the same thing.

      First I thought about getting the paraffin paste that dries, but I assume the the paste has a high percentage of water in it. That's not good...

      Next, I thought about using Prolong (the car oil additive) which has a paraffin (not Teflon) base, but I'm worried that there might be other stuff in Prolong that will burn my bluing over time. So, I've never experimented with it.

      I had never thought about just getting the "pure stuff," but if you are storing the gun for years, who cares if you need to peel off a coat of wax before displaying or firing? I've seen it on tools and dies as Dirtbiker describes and recall that paraffin doesn't break down with tool oil.
      Last edited by CalJimbo; 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM. Reason: grammar
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        TKM
        Onward through the fog!
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2002
        • 10657

        It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

        Comment

        • #5
          Milsurp Collector
          Calguns Addict
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2009
          • 5884

          There are much better products than paraffin available for preventing rust http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
          Revolvers are not pistols

          pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
          Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

          ExitCalifornia.org

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1