Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Blackpowder rifle info

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • D53
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 2248

    Blackpowder rifle info

    Hey guys, my boss sent me some pics of a black powder rifle that her dad has. He is really old and she is trying to make sure that he doesn't get ripped off when selling it, so I told her I would post up here and see what info I can find. Unfortunally she says the rifle doesn't have any markings on it, but here are some pics she sent me via cell phone. Any info? She is mainly trying to find out how much to sell it for since I know its a cash and carry. Thanks





    "Because 4 inches is big to a midget" - Dave Attell
  • #2
    1859sharps
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 2261

    not much to go on in the pics. pretty sad condition, so unless it has significant historical value, probably not worth much.

    But before you take my initial impression as gospel, are there any markings on the barrel or lock that might provide more info.

    Comment

    • #3
      barrym66
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 2228

      Try posting on www.muzzleloader.com, you'll likely get a better response than here.

      Good luck -

      Barry
      Barry

      sigpic

      "Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

      Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #4
        amurphy
        Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 251

        Looks like there are pictures of two different rifles there. I'm sure of it. Single trigger and a double trigger models. More pictures will help.

        If you can get to it see about pulling the barrel off and there should be a makers mark on the barrel or in the wood. If there isn't anything there then you can try the buttplate. Then from that value can be from $10-$$$$$$$

        If they find a value on the double trigger one let me know. Always room for another muzzleloader.

        Comment

        • #5
          gunboat
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 3288

          Looks like a single barrel shotgun, possibly with a maynard cap primer --Which could increase value quite a bit. But between the poor photos and my poor monitor ???

          Comment

          • #6
            5hundo
            Banned
            • Jun 2008
            • 2210

            That actually might not be a rifle at all...

            That may very well be a 28 Gauge, single barrel shotgun. Many people confuse those with a .50 caliber, smooth-bore, "cap and ball" musket because the diameter of a 28 Gauge shotgun is .50".

            Are there no barrel markings? Is any part of the metal stamped with anything? Also, see if she can measure the bore and give us some approximate dimensions. If she can see rifling, that would help too...

            Comment

            • #7
              D53
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 2248

              Correct they pics are of two different rifles, after I posted I headed to work and I forgot to mention that. Unfortunally there is no marking anywhere on rifles ( I asked her to check the barrels) she is in Hemet and I am in Fair Oaks so I can't check them out personally, I am just going off the info she gives me. But thanks guys for your help.
              "Because 4 inches is big to a midget" - Dave Attell

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1