Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Guns With Character

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5321

    Guns With Character

    I have primarily been a collector of civilian and military firearms and edged weapons from countries throughout the world for many years. While generally speaking I like to have as nice an example of any particular gun or as I can afford, I am also somehow drawn to those that are in, shall we say, somewhat less than perfect condition. Sometimes the condition issue is because of neglect but mostly it is because a particular gun has been used quite a bit over the years.

    One of my favorites is this US Property marked 1915 vintage 1911 that I picked up many years ago:



    One advantage to these somewhat less than perfect guns is that they can usually be had for cheap, like this March 1945 manufactured byf44 P38 that looks as though someone left in a holster until it rotted away.



    I got this US Property marked 1917 Colt from a very good friend of mine a few years ago.



    It doesn't always have to be a military gun either. I found this 1961 vintage Colt SAA at a gun store priced at about half what a nice second generation Colt would sell for. It looks like it was probably used by a cowboy action shooter and has been shot enough to make the action smooth as glass and there is a fair amount of holster wear on the cylinder and end of the barrel.



    I found this 1888 vintage Winchester Model 1873 languishing at a LGS for a ridiculously low price and I just had to have it.



    I also have a few rather well worn Smith and Wessons, one of my favorites is this 1915 vintage .455 Mk2 second model hand ejector that was part of the second British contract. It doesn't have the usual sold out of service stamps and isn't import marked and hasn't been modified to take .45 Colt rounds.



    Not a firearm, but something I find extremely interesting is this Japanese family sword that I believe was originally made around 13th century. So far my research points to the Tsuba being at least that old and the style of the blade has lead me to conclude that it most likely dates to that time period. It has been shortened a couple of times, the last was when it was cut to conform to Japanese army regulations for an officers shin gunto sometime after 1872. It shows a tremendous amount of wear and tear to the leather cover over the Saya and there is what looks like blood stains on the blade. I will have it restored someday by a qualified Japanese sword polisher, but the total cost of the job would be in the $3500 range and right now I don't have the spare cash.




    I have a few others but in the interest of not making this post too long I'll stop here.
    Last edited by highpower; 10-16-2021, 8:09 AM.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    Neat !
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      Yuki
      Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 374

      So jealous of your Japanese sword!
      One around the age of yours is probably at the top of my list but seems so impossible to come by.
      I always enjoy and appreciate your posts about your collection. Thanks for sharing.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dano3467
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2013
        • 7381

        That's honest wear. very nice

        Comment

        • #5
          pitfighter
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 3152

          That's awesome, I too, prefer the lived in and used look.

          I have owned a few unfired unissued firearms, I found them of little interest, not only could I not fire them, I could not even turn the action, cycle them, or strip them down without gloves and extreme care, nah, not for me, lol.
          Pitfighter.
          CA/AZ

          Comment

          • #6
            sealocan
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 9956

            Very cool items! Thanks for sharing highpower / OP.
            Mint condition is nice but I also prefer a nice aged patina, uniqueness or some scars, maybe with a backstory, that give a gun more character.
            One reason being that you're not afraid to take it out of the safe and actually use it, as it was meant to be used.

            I remember a Chinese made SKS that was theoretically stored in Albania for many years (like so many other Chinese SKSs) and it had the word "Attack" carved into the wooden stock.
            The unique part was that it wasn't in the Albanian language or in the Chinese language but had been written in the Russian language.

            Maybe a Russian speaking person was issued that gun at some point in Albania?
            Who knows? But it did make it more interesting.

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyHawk
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2012
              • 23531

              This thread reminds me I still need to go shoot that Nazi P35. Looks rough but mechanically it is excellent


              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

              Comment

              • #8
                echo1
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 3932

                Not exactly the same, but while at my Idaho gig I met a fella, who amongst other thing collected WWII uniforms. They were all museum quality. He even had a Jewish concentration camp uniform. Many had bullet holes and blood stains. He also had a fairly large gun collection also, including Thompson, MP44, Jap LMG, and many worn Nambus, P08's, & P38's. Spent the afternoon with the gentleman. I was trying to buy a Jap unit flag, but he didn't have any he'd let go. He did have a garrison flag but it was just too large. I only came away with a T38 bayo. PAX
                You need a crew

                "A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

                Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bobby Ricigliano
                  Mit Gott und Mauser
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 17439

                  I have a few older pieces with character to share. I was looking for an Enfield No.1 a few years ago and this one popped up on another board. It is loaded with stampings and cartouches, and appears very worn. The bore and internals are great, so it seems to have avoided too much cordite ammo during its service.





                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobby Ricigliano
                    Mit Gott und Mauser
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 17439

                    Here is a BYF 44 that doesn’t have any US import marks but it apparently ended up in Britain after WW2. The stock looks post war and it is non matching, but it is still sort of an oddball. The bore and internals are perfect.




                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bobby Ricigliano
                      Mit Gott und Mauser
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 17439

                      My only Gew 98 has lots of honest wear and markings:


                      The coolest part is the crest, which appears to have been applied in a hurry. Half of it was so lightly struck that it is barely there:

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        McNally M.
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 1088

                        I think every collection deserves two of each type of firearm; one example that is as close to perfect as possible and another that looks like it could tell stories in front of the camp fire.
                        "Let him that is without stone among you cast the first thing he can lay his hands on." -Robert Frost

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          81turbota
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 2956

                          I love seeing guns that have without a doubt been through it.

                          I’ll contribute this one - papered Laos bring back from a secret program, one of 3 guns acquired by the veteran in a trade with a Laotian intelligence officer. It has zero finish, zero rifling, zero matching parts and a case made from aircraft seat material.

                          Last edited by 81turbota; 10-19-2021, 1:08 PM.
                          C&R nut.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Spaffo
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 1358

                            20180509_155457-990x762.jpg

                            20180509_154738-711x553.jpgNice bringback with GIs name and 7th and 9th Army logos.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Ora Serrata
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2015
                              • 1749

                              OP, your P-38 is very similar to one I have. 1942 very warn mixmaster. Nothing matches, not too bad on the outside, but the bore is so warn it's almost smooth - can't hit the side of a barn with it. It's also a testament to never rely on a mechanical safety: drop the hammer safety and it fires. But hey, I got it cheap.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1