Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Chinese Type 53

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5333

    Chinese Type 53

    I picked this T53 up a few years ago at a small gun store in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. The story I got when I bought it is that they got it, along with some other guns from a fellow in his late 40's that had inherited the firearms from his father.

    They were primarily what I would call a Tactical AR store, so they had no real use for it and wanted to get rid of it. Being the sucker that I am for old surplus rifles I bought it without a second thought.

    Now, before anyone says anything, I know perfectly well to buy the gun not the story, but I only paid $150 OTD for it so whatever it's story is, I figure I got a fair deal. It is dated 1956 with the last digit of the date being a bit hard to read and was made in factory 26.

    It has a decent bore and and oddly enough the magazine still matches the receiver although the bolt is unnumbered and the buttplate is not matching. The more I look at it the more I am wondering if it is a Vietnam bring back. There is no import mark on it and the overall exterior condition is what I would call combat rough. The stock has been repaired with both a wood patch and what looks like nails.

    Unfortunately, I have no more information on it. I tried asking the folks at the store where I bought it, but they had never seen the guy before and all they would say about him was his age (they got his ID when they bought it). I wish I could talk to the guy and find out if there is a back story on it or if it is just another beat up old rifle. But the shop was reluctant to give me any further info on the seller, which I perfectly understand.

    No matter what, I am glad I got it and it certainly has a story to tell even if I have no idea of what it is.







    Last edited by highpower; 06-29-2021, 9:29 AM.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.
  • #2
    microwaveguy
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2295

    If it has no import marks I would suspect s Vietnam bring back.
    Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.

    Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)

    Comment

    • #3
      I Swan
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 8770

      Look very hard for import marks some are very tiny and on places like the bayonet mount. If none probably a bringback. I've also had situations like this where the shop refused much info on the consigner which I expected.

      I once acquired a no import mark Nagant revolver dated 1929 not rearsenaled that came in an old Luger holster. From a pawnshop. Less than $200 about 5 years ago. Ended up selling at auction about $1000.

      Comment

      • #4
        highpower
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2012
        • 5333

        I've look pretty hard and I also asked my son to look just in case I missed something. I even removed the action from the stock and looked. No import marks at all.

        There is no way to prove it one way or the other, but it sure looks like it could have come out of SE Asia.
        MLC member.

        Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

        Dumocraps suck balls.

        Comment

        • #5
          ComBlocAddict
          Banned
          • Mar 2021
          • 44

          The stock is a lot cleaner than my T53’s. Most T53 rifles look beat to hell.

          $150 wasn’t a bad price but with Mosins all gone up in price the T53’s are actually worth a chunk of change. Seems like not many were imported.

          Comment

          • #6
            FeuerFrei
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2008
            • 7455

            I bought a few of those when I still had my C&R.

            Once I cleaned them up they all shot really well and the actions were smooth. The wood is not worthy of mention. Looks like a steamy pile.

            The machine work is outstanding when compared to a war time Russian Mosin.

            Comment

            • #7
              BigPimping
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2010
              • 21487

              If only it could talk. It would probably have some amazing stories to tell.
              sigpic

              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

              Don't let your history be a mystery

              Comment

              • #8
                Rogerbutthead
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • 3863

                Interesting stock repair

                Comment

                • #9
                  C&Rtrader
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 1349

                  Anyone else thing the stock is soviet and not chinese? the chinese ones always seemed a little wider, especially at the action.

                  lack of gromets for the sling also seems to say wartime soviet production.
                  WTB:Old Video Games! Nintendo, Sega, Atari, etc consoles and games.
                  WTS: Several Neat and uncommon Mosins, Russian SKS, Oddball Mausers. PM for details
                  Located in Norcal.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1