Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

8mm Mauser surplus ammo suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • vmuth
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 83

    8mm Mauser surplus ammo suggestions

    Hi All, just recently finished up a project and now it's time to shoot it. When I started the project earlier this year, ammo was about 35 cents a round. Now that it's complete and ready to shoot, the ammo cost is crazy.

    I picked up a 1918/1920 Gewehr Mauser carbine. I have not really seen anything like it before so I got it. Restored the wood stock myself and it was pretty fun. (Stripping, sanding, staining, BLO and varnish coated.) Sent all the metal to a local shop to have it sandblasted and Cerakoated. I took the stock to the shop and they put it all back together.

    Now it's time to reward myself and shoot it but holy cow. I can't find reasonable cost surplus ammo anywhere so I can just take it out to blast some rounds.

    Any of you have any suggestions for purchsing ammo?

    Thanks.
  • #2
    Dirty_gaijin
    Member
    • Apr 2019
    • 166

    I have turk 8mm but they're hot and dirty from poor storage like most turk 8mm. If you want to use that. I don't use it as I shoot mostly semi auto 8mm.

    Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      Mustang
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2007
      • 5075

      Where are you located?
      ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

      Comment

      • #4
        hambam105
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2013
        • 7083

        If you reload...

        270 and 30-06 brass cases can be reformed to 8mm. You might get some assistance doing so depending on your location.

        Comment

        • #5
          pitfighter
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 3152

          "...I got 200 Rds Romanian 8x57 in a spam can I'd trade for 100 Rds .303 - lol!.."

          8mm can be found cheaply enough on line.

          These Romanian spam cans seem pretty reasonable on line, GB or any of the major surplus retailers.
          Pitfighter.
          CA/AZ

          Comment

          • #6
            2shotjoe
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2011
            • 26693

            You may want to get a wolf firing pin spring to shoot the harder primers on surplus ammo.

            Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Kestryll
            ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
            Originally posted by Libertarian777
            ...Don't pick either side....

            Comment

            • #7
              vmuth
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 83

              I'm in San Diego.

              I'm pretty new into reloading. Just started earlier this year so I'm pretty much learning to load for the typical 308, 243, and 223 copper rounds.

              What sites are you all buying your surplus ammo from and what site is GB?

              Thanks.

              Comment

              • #8
                2761377
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 2131

                GB = https://www.gunbroker.com/

                ebay of guns
                MAGA

                Comment

                • #9
                  five.five-six
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2006
                  • 34928

                  Originally posted by hambam105
                  If you reload...

                  270 and 30-06 brass cases can be reformed to 8mm. You might get some assistance doing so depending on your location.

                  Do tell, I have some 30-06 brass but no Garand ATM

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    five.five-six
                    CGN Contributor
                    • May 2006
                    • 34928

                    Originally posted by 2761377
                    GB = https://www.gunbroker.com/

                    ebay of guns
                    Which means if you win the auction, you were willing to pay more for it than anyone else in the entire world

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dr. Peter Venkman
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 4899

                      Where are you located?
                      sigpic
                      "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
                      Originally posted by berto
                      You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        smle-man
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 10605

                        Watch out for Yugo 8mm ball headstamped 11 54. Most of it is fine but some have hairline cracks through the base of the case. When they let go it may split the rifle's stock or at least blow the floorplate out of the magazine.

                        I've not seen this problem with other Yugo headstamps.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bobby Ricigliano
                          Mit Gott und Mauser
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 17439

                          I have always found Turkish 8mm to be the cheapest surplus by far. But as noted above, it is hot and dirty. I have also found rounds that were cracked at the neck. I personally like the later production Yugo 1975 (?) surplus which shoots well and looks like new production ammo.

                          When I got my first Mauser I was trying to buy as much ammo as I could afford, but a few range trips later I realized I was never shooting more than 30-40 rounds at a time because it is a rather stout cartridge.

                          (And in before the inevitable commentary by some self appointed expert that recoil is only a factor if you are shouldering the weapon incorrectly.)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            2761377
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2013
                            • 2131

                            ^^^ back in the day I bought a sporterized K98 and 50rds Egyptian 8mm at a gun show.

                            14 rounds later I sold the rifle from too much recoil. I don't think I'm recoil sensitive but it just wasn't fun. still have the remainder of the ammo.

                            36 lonely Egyptians, stuck in an ammo can in SoCal. que triste
                            MAGA

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mustang
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 5075

                              OP, if you find the recoil objectionable, you might try this. I've used one for years and they are very effective.



                              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1