Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Problem with CMP Garand

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cato
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2006
    • 5659

    Problem with CMP Garand

    I just finished changing the stock and doing a detail cleaning on my Service Grade Garand. Now, I can ONLY engage the safety AS I PULL the bolt back. Once it is pulled back, I cannot freely engage the safety. It looks like the bolt doesnt get close enough to push the hammer (?) down enough to allow the safety to move back and forth. Any ideas what could be causing this?
  • #2
    Mssr. Eleganté
    Blue Blaze Irregular
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 10401

    Have you tried it without the stock?
    __________________

    "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

    Comment

    • #3
      Cato
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2006
      • 5659

      Bent Bolt?

      yes, I've tried it without the stock and the bolt doesnt come close enough to push the hammer down enough to allow the safety to engage. Could it be a bent or warped bolt?

      Comment

      • #4
        metalhead357
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2006
        • 5546

        My first thought upon reading your post is that the stock (new stock) is too thick/tall at the lockup. Is it a Boyds stock? If so they DEFINITELY need fitting. Also, are you allowing the bolt to truly ride home and not baby it down to the bore? Incomplete bolt engagement would/could also cause this if I'm thinking correctly (it is late )

        If no other replies, PM either NRA Highpowershooter or 30Cal....they knowst a lot more than me and I have litterally no idea how to check for a bent bolt; I dont think they *can* bend, they'd snap first I'd think.

        Metalhead
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
        I am not a number! I am a free man

        1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
        2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
        3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

        Comment

        • #5
          Cato
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2006
          • 5659

          It's a Fulton Stock

          It's a Fulton Stock. I had to shave it down some to get the trigger guard to close. I'll check to see that the bolt is properly riding. I hope it's as simple as that. Thanks!

          Comment

          • #6
            Clancy
            Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 390

            Sir,
            Try this cycle the bolt with the rifle empty. After the bolt is cycle to fire then try the safety. If that doesn't work take the action out of the stock and try it then you can then see if it is hitting something.
            Thanks again
            Clancy
            http://www.garandm1rifle.com
            http://www.users.fast.net/~eclancy

            Comment

            • #7
              NRAhighpowershooter
              Super Moderator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jun 2003
              • 6485

              Fulton stocks are boyds stocks.. I won't touch touch them with a 10ft pole...

              wenig stocks through Deans Guns Restorations all the way baby!!!!
              'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

              Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

              Comment

              • #8
                NeoWeird
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 3342

                So you know, my bolt has that contour as well so it's not bent. Look at the rails on the side of the bolt and you see they are a perfect line, so the bolt looks good.

                The hammer should be cocked right around the point where the bolt clears the front of the follower arm. So look into the 'magazine well' as you cock the gun and if the bolt doesn't get tight, cock the hammer, then free up as the bolt opens to expose the follower than making the bolt go back farther won't do anything else. It sounds to me like, as said, the trigger housing is not resting high enough to allow the bolt to fully depress the hammer. If it functions fine outside the stock, then I would imagine that is what it is. Try removing some material from the bottom of the stock to allow the trigger housing to rest higher in the stock. That sounds about right to me.
                quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
                a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cato
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 5659

                  Mea Culpa

                  I took my Garand to Gunrunners, Duarte to have them look at the safety. It would seem that I just didnt press hard enough on the safety!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    metalhead357
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 5546

                    Originally posted by Cato
                    I took my Garand to Gunrunners, Duarte to have them look at the safety. It would seem that I just didnt press hard enough on the safety!
                    LOL! Dont feel toooooooo bad! We've all been there 'babying' our guns at one time or another! Have no fear man- the Garand was a wartime weapon~ you aint gonna hurt it! ((and that is why I was asking if you had been following the bolt down Been THERE myself!))
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                    I am not a number! I am a free man

                    1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                    2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                    3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      thisismyboomstick
                      Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 389

                      If you break the edge of the ejector spring where the safety rides with a fine file or sandpaper it will be easier to operate.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1