Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Smith and Wesson Model 15

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SVGUY
    Member
    • May 2018
    • 262

    Smith and Wesson Model 15

    Hello Cal Gunners

    I came across this interesting article written last year. Talks about vintage Smith and Wesson Model 15s. Since the Air Force is scrapping its inventory well over 100,000 will these come to consumer market anytime in the near future.
    They sure look sweet.





    I checked GunBroker and there isn't much in inventory nor any Air Force guns sold yet. Anyone have insight if they will be released from inventory.



    The Smith & Wesson K-38 Combat Masterpiece, Revolver Model 15 is a six-shot double-action revolver, with adjustable open sights, built on the medium-size "K" frame. It is chambered for the .38 Special cartridge and is fitted with a 4-inch (100 mm) barrel, though additional barrel options have been offered at various times during its production. Originally known as the "K-38 Combat Masterpiece", it was renamed the Model 15 in 1957 when all Smith & Wesson revolvers were given numerical model numbers. It is a shorter barrel version of the Smith & Wesson Model 14 Target Masterpiece and essentially an adjustable-sight version of the seminal Smith & Wesson Model 10 ("Military and Police") revolver with target shooting features. The main production run of the Model 15 was from 1949 through 1999.
  • #2
    Elgatodeacero
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2015
    • 1297

    It seems unlikely they will look as pretty as the one in the picture!
    One of the best revolvers ever made.
    I didn’t see anything in the article about selling surplus on civilian market, but maybe CMP will get these?
    Last edited by Elgatodeacero; 05-28-2020, 1:05 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      beerman
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2009
      • 5202

      Picture 001.jpgModel 15...now were talkin. Also my favorite revolver. Yea only puny 38 special,but man can they shoot. I thought the Air Force switched to the M9 20 years ago.

      Comment

      • #4
        PoorRichRichard
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 3309

        Tag for future updates. I want one.
        1A - 2A = -1A
        Originally posted by Wherryj
        If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
        ...I'd have $0.10.
        Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
        --- Dan Bongino
        Originally posted by EM2
        Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
        Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

        Comment

        • #5
          smle-man
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2007
          • 10606

          I doubt very much they will be sold to civilians.

          Comment

          • #6
            bergmen
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 2493

            I bought a used 15-4 about 20 years ago. It looked like it had never been fired and it was mint in every way. At the time I had no clue what I was getting (came with box, manual, sight adjustment tool, factory target hammer and trigger). It wasn't long before I realized what I had and it is probably my favorite revolver (I have several revolvers of all types). Exceptionally accurate and smooth action. Love this gun.

            Also, I think "Combat Masterpiece" is a tremendous name for this handgun. I love just saying it.

            Dan

            Comment

            • #7
              bergmen
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 2493

              Originally posted by smle-man
              I doubt very much they will be sold to civilians.
              I wonder if the CMP would get involved in acquiring these revolvers? Also, the article said it had 100,000 of these as of 1974, no mention of the current state of the inventory.

              Dan

              Comment

              • #8
                Calif Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • 3323

                I just bought a LNIB Model 15-2 and am enduring the DROS waiting period. My PU date should be June 5 but I understand there are delays.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bergmen
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 2493

                  Originally posted by Calif Hunter
                  I just bought a LNIB Model 15-2 and am enduring the DROS waiting period. My PU date should be June 5 but I understand there are delays.
                  Excellent find. You are going to love it.

                  Dan

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    beerman
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 5202

                    Originally posted by Calif Hunter
                    I just bought a LNIB Model 15-2 and am enduring the DROS waiting period. My PU date should be June 5 but I understand there are delays.
                    What did you have to give for it?...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      smle-man
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 10606

                      Originally posted by bergmen
                      I wonder if the CMP would get involved in acquiring these revolvers? Also, the article said it had 100,000 of these as of 1974, no mention of the current state of the inventory.

                      Dan
                      I doubt that the CMP would get any. Those not chopped up probably went to foreign government assistance.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DanGunner
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2017
                        • 1224

                        I bought one of these jewels, circa 1965 manufacture, from a Calgunner for $250 a few years back. Had it at the range just this week and as usual it handled like the champ it is. Might be the best all-around revolver ever produced. If you find one buy it; you'll never regret it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Harry Ono
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2018
                          • 965

                          Originally posted by bergmen
                          I wonder if the CMP would get involved in acquiring these revolvers? Also, the article said it had 100,000 of these as of 1974, no mention of the current state of the inventory.

                          Dan
                          If anyone has contacts with CMP this would be a great time to connect. Might be 100,000 sitting in some warehouse not doing anything. Good idea to turn this into some currency and pay some government bills. Who knows what else they have boxed in inventory. If guns are deemed to be essential be good idea to distribute what Government has to the public. After all WE THE PEOPLE paid for it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bergmen
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2011
                            • 2493

                            Originally posted by Harry Ono
                            If anyone has contacts with CMP this would be a great time to connect. Might be 100,000 sitting in some warehouse not doing anything. Good idea to turn this into some currency and pay some government bills. Who knows what else they have boxed in inventory. If guns are deemed to be essential be good idea to distribute what Government has to the public. After all WE THE PEOPLE paid for it.
                            I just sent in a request to the CMP to see if they can get involved with acquiring these revolvers from the USAF. I'll report what I find out.

                            Dan

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bergmen
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2011
                              • 2493

                              I received the following response from the CMP this morning:

                              I forwarded your email to our CEO. I have not heard of anything else being added. Thank you and have a nice day!

                              Civilian Marksmanship Program
                              Program Support


                              My original message:

                              I understand that the US Air Force will be removing S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece revolvers from their inventory. Is there any way that CMP can get involved and maybe acquire them and offer them for sale to the public?

                              Dan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1