Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ID this cartridge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sigstroker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 19866

    ID this cartridge?

    Posting here because you guys know a lot of weird old stuff.

    This is a 7.62 NATO/.308 cartridge although it doesn't have a NATO cross. I wish I could post a picture of the headstamp but my camera (and the photographer) aren't up to the task, so I'll describe it.

    It has 3 markings spread evenly around the base. A year (76 in this case), then something like an upside down pi, then something that looks like a K on it's side. Primer sealed with red compound and circular crimp like US ammo. The bullet has a black tip, sticks to a magnet, and is seated to where a cannelure is exposed by .1 inch or so. I doubt it's a 30-06 reload because the case looks pristine and so does the primer. I have several of these.
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    Israeli...
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      SkyHawk
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2012
      • 23531

      Israeli 7.62 x 51

      Like this?

      Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-09-2020, 3:04 PM.
      Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

      Comment

      • #4
        sigstroker
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2009
        • 19866

        That's it!!! You win a cookie. You even got a pic that matched the year.

        Comment

        • #5
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19866

          I KNEW someone on this forum would have the weird knowledge on this thing.

          Comment

          • #6
            SVT-40
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2008
            • 12907

            Originally posted by sigstroker
            That's it!!! You win a cookie. You even got a pic that matched the year.
            I beat him by 3 minutes... No cookie for him!!!
            Poke'm with a stick!


            Originally posted by fiddletown
            What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyHawk
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2012
              • 23531

              PS - the ‘cannelure’ might be a milled ring for night identification? I have seen some tracer rounds that look like exposed cannelure but NATO marking guides say they are rings for night ID. I don’t know why you would need that on AP rounds but who knows

              Originally posted by SVT-40
              I beat him by 3 minutes... No cookie for him!!!
              Took me a few minutes to go find a pic

              Anyhow OP if you don’t need them, ship them to me and I will send them on their way from my Israeli 1919
              Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-09-2020, 3:23 PM.
              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

              Comment

              • #8
                SVT-40
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2008
                • 12907

                Originally posted by SkyHawk
                Took me a few minutes to go find a pic
                I'll split it with you!!!
                Poke'm with a stick!


                Originally posted by fiddletown
                What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rogerbutthead
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • 3858

                  "ת" - how does that look like an upside down "PI" - ?

                  more like a sideways "y"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SVT-40
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 12907

                    Pi y schmy. Sideways y.
                    Poke'm with a stick!


                    Originally posted by fiddletown
                    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sigstroker
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 19866

                      Originally posted by Rogerbutthead
                      "ת" - how does that look like an upside down "PI" - ?

                      more like a sideways "y"
                      I was referencing it where the outside of the rim equates to down, as it does with the 76.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19866

                        Looked like a cannelure to me.

                        So the black tip is AP? I don't even remember where I got them, they were mixed in with a batch of LC tracer I have. (It's okay, I'm not in CA)

                        Those 1919's are 7.62?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SVT-40
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 12907

                          Originally posted by sigstroker
                          Looked like a cannelure to me.

                          So the black tip is AP? I don't even remember where I got them, they were mixed in with a batch of LC tracer I have. (It's okay, I'm not in CA)



                          Those 1919's are 7.62?
                          Yup AP.

                          The Israeli 1919's were chambered in 7.62 along with their K98's and FAL's.
                          Poke'm with a stick!


                          Originally posted by fiddletown
                          What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkyHawk
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 23531

                            Originally posted by sigstroker
                            Looked like a cannelure to me.
                            Yeah it might be, but why not crimp at the cannelure? Anyhow I would also sure like to know more about these ‘night identification rings’. Maybe they are only on some tracer rounds.








                            Here is a pic of some 50BMG tracer projectiles - you can see the cannelure then above that the ring. I am curious how this ring is used for night ID?? Maybe because using a red light to observe them you would not see the red tip?



                            Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-09-2020, 7:06 PM.
                            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19866

                              I've only got the black tip in the Israeli, it has the "identifier" groove.

                              All my 7.62 tracer is Lake City. I've got various weird .50 BMG tracer, I think some of it is Israeli. No, I don't have a gun to shoot it, I just picked up random fifty mil-surp at gun shows over the years. I never see that kind of stuff any more.

                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by sigstroker; 01-10-2020, 12:54 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1