Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help ID this WWII gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jrandydavis
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2018
    • 11

    Help ID this WWII gun

    Hello, need some help with ID of this gun from my father's collection. No idea what it is, he just referred to it as the 'old Japanese gun' when I was a kid. Any idea what it is or might be worth would be most helpful as I try to find new homes for his firearms.
    Thank you,
    RD
    Attached Files
  • #2
  • #3
    firefly416
    Member
    • Apr 2017
    • 264

    Originally posted by jrandydavis
    Hello, need some help with ID of this gun from my father's collection. No idea what it is, he just referred to it as the 'old Japanese gun' when I was a kid. Any idea what it is or might be worth would be most helpful as I try to find new homes for his firearms.
    Thank you,
    RD
    It is an Arisaka from the Japanese military. Any pics of the engraving on the top of the receiver? I am going to guess it's a Type 38.

    Comment

    • #4
      Rogerbutthead
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • 3858

      7.7mm Arisaka Type 99 Kokura Arsenal Series 8 is my guess from what I can see. I was thinking long rifle, but this data sheet is short rifle - ?

      Comment

      • #5
        spoof145
        Member
        • Dec 2013
        • 352

        type 38 or type 99.
        How did you lose your hands?
        I was a puppeteer, doing a show as 2 dogs. The ATF shot them.
        -Some guy on the internet.

        Comment

        • #6
          edgerly779
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Aug 2009
          • 19871

          Sons of nippon round eye killer. (LOL) Yes arisaka

          Comment

          • #7
            Rogerbutthead
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • 3858

            Maybe series 25 now that I take a closer look. My eyes suck. Check the series number yourself on the data sheet. http://www.castle-thunder.com/datasheets/99ds2010e.pdf It is right near the top of the first page of the data sheet.

            Comment

            • #8
              jrandydavis
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2018
              • 11

              Thank you gents! This one has the bayonet as well. What markings/features would help distinguish the Type 38 from 99? I'll try to get a pic of the top engravings when I go back this week.
              John Myers-- thanks for the link. The prices listed vary widely it seems, and for reasons I'm not entirely sure of. Hard to know what to ask for on this one.
              RD

              Comment

              • #9
                Rogerbutthead
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • 3858

                One hole on top of receiver is Type 99, two hole is Type 38.

                If your rifle has a wooden buttplate it is a last ditch type rifle made near the end of the war.

                Stock and stain look original. Original slings are rare, unknown if your sling is original in that rough shape it is in. Are you going to post pics of the top of the receiver and the bayonet?
                Last edited by Rogerbutthead; 08-20-2019, 7:28 PM.

                Comment

                • #10
                  God Bless America
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2014
                  • 5165

                  Mum is ground. Looks like it says 38.

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    Rogerbutthead
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 3858

                    You are right. Last picture shows one hole too far to the left of center to be a Type 99. So it probably is a Type 38. http://www.castle-thunder.com/datasheets/38ds.pdf I haven't seen a notched safety knob on a Type 38 before, made me think it was a Type 99.

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      beerman
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 5197

                      No front top handguard...Type 38. Valuing Arisakas have a lot of factors involved. #1 originality... Mum intact? Matching numbers on all serialized components.
                      #2 Rarity of maker and #3 number of features remaining as most are missing parts like dust covers,monopods, Aircraft sight wings (commonly missing or broke off) and original slings.

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        highpower
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2012
                        • 5327

                        Actually Type 38 serial numbers can be different from Type 99's. They have assembly numbers on parts like the bolt which will be different from the serial number. Also pre 1933 Type 38's don't have series numbers, they are serial numbered sequentially. That was changed in 1933 when they too began being numbered in blocks of 99,999 with a different series number for each block.

                        I am fortunate to have a early type 38, made around 1913 in original condition.

                        Notice the lack of any series kanji:


                        MLC member.

                        Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                        Dumocraps suck balls.

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          jrandydavis
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2018
                          • 11

                          Wow that's a beaut. Thanks for all the additional info.

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            Jarhead
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 2847

                            Originally posted by Rogerbutthead
                            You are right. Last picture shows one hole too far to the left of center to be a Type 99. So it probably is a Type 38. http://www.castle-thunder.com/datasheets/38ds.pdf I haven't seen a notched safety knob on a Type 38 before, made me think it was a Type 99.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1