Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Cap & Ball questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Clickjack
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2019
    • 515

    First Cap & Ball questions

    Update: Bought an Uberti 1851 Navy.


    Arbor Greace?

    I kept the arbor oiled but I was surprised how poorly the gun ran after about 6 or 12 shots. I’ve Since got some slix shot nipples. And I’m told I should greace the arbor vs just oiling it. What do y’all use?
    Last edited by Clickjack; 09-09-2019, 1:22 PM.
  • #2
    Cuda440
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2010
    • 3289

    Your Hawken isnt a percussion rifle?

    I have a Pietta replica 1858 remington, its brass framed so I keep the loads light. .44 cal round ball over 30 grains of FFF goex with a felt wad between the powder and ball. Loading a revolver is easy since the lever does all the work, you just gotta repeat it 6 times.

    Buy it anywhere, even online- it can be shipped straight to your door. You'll want a box of balls or a mold if you want to melt your own, felt wads, a powder measure and horn, and a capper tool is helpful if you have fat fingers.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

    Thomas Jefferson

    Comment

    • #3
      Clickjack
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2019
      • 515

      Originally posted by Cuda440
      Your Hawken isnt a percussion rifle?

      Comment

      • #4
        jimmykan
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 3103

        Why an open top design?

        Not easy to aim, the rear sight is a notch on the hammer.

        Comment

        • #5
          rmnc3r
          Senior Member
          • May 2017
          • 1031

          Steel Frame 1858 Remington is 'better'
          Consider that Colt went to an closed frame design (1873 Peacemaker) once the patent restrictions were up
          While not 'historically correct' for a purist, You can get a '58 with installed Target Sights if more than mere plinking is of interest.
          Cleaning and cylinder changes (speed loading) is simpler for a '58 compared to a 2 piece Colt.

          As far as a '51 or '60 Colt - it comes down mostly to your subjective preference of looks
          At first I liked the '60, but now find myself more enamored of the '51 in .44.

          Uberti is considered the better of the Italian Brands, and (afaik) can still be bought online and shipped right to your door.
          I find that every .44 Italian copy has been bored undersized so, one mod/improvement I always make is to ream the cylinder using a 29/64 (.453) reamer to allow .456 balls to fully engage the rifling
          Last edited by rmnc3r; 07-08-2019, 8:02 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            mikeyr
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 1554

            First Cap & Ball questions

            Originally posted by jimmykan
            Why an open top design?
            .

            He said he wanted a Colt style

            I personally prefer the 1851 but either are great guns. I have both but find I shoot the Navy more. For closed frame I shoot a Ruger old army



            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic
            NRA Benefactor Member
            . CRPA Member

            Comment

            • #7
              Yetiultimate
              Member
              • Feb 2016
              • 225

              If you're looking at the Piettas (which I do recommend as good pistols for the money) the Army has a slightly larger grip. If you have small hands, try a Navy. Either way, get a set of Slix Shot nipples...they will greatly improve your reliability and shooting pleasure.

              I have a Navy and a Remington, both are Pietta copies, and they are both lots of fun to shoot.
              Last edited by Yetiultimate; 07-08-2019, 6:05 PM. Reason: typo

              Comment

              • #8
                CGZ
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2014
                • 992

                Check out Little John's in Orange, he may have some (repros) in stock if you don't want to buy online. Reload in Anaheim should have the (substitute black) powder, caps and balls. The other black powder stores I knew of are now closed.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Danodog
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2013
                  • 2533

                  Midway USA has a decent sale on Uberti revolvers. This one is $70 off with free shipping. I have both Pietta and Uberti revolvers and I prefer the Uberti's with better fit and finish. The actions seem to be smoother too. I also like Pietta as they very close in quality and often are priced better. Cabelas has the Pietta 1860 for $269. The sale at Midway has the Uberti for $289. In this case, spend the extra $20.

                  Last edited by Danodog; 07-08-2019, 10:15 PM.
                  Calguns Contributor
                  NRA Benefactor Member
                  CRPA Member
                  San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
                  What have you done for 2A lately?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Clickjack
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2019
                    • 515

                    Picked up a pound of goex FFFg.

                    I live in a house in L.A. with out AC. It gets pretty hot for a week or two every summer (100+). Gets into the 40s during the winter.

                    My Dad just kept all his BP stuff in a cooler in the garage. What do y’all recommend for storage

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      3006
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 939

                      To answer your question keep the powder in a metal cabinet. Or even better a small fire proof safe.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cuda440
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 3289

                        I keep most of my BP stuff in ammo cans, keeps it airtight and moisture resistant. Inside and out of the heat would be ideal but it would survive in the garage too
                        Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

                        Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bobby Ricigliano
                          Mit Gott und Mauser
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 17439

                          I don't know anything about black powder firearms, but I do recall reading somewhere that you should keep your powder dry.

                          It seemed like sort of a cryptic warning, but I assume it means that the powder should not get wet.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pitfighter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 3152

                            Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                            I don't know anything about black powder firearms, but I do recall reading somewhere that you should keep your powder dry.

                            It seemed like sort of a cryptic warning, but I assume it means that the powder should not get wet.



                            Regarding the heat in the OP's garage, alone, it won't set off your powder.

                            Sparks, electrical shock/charge, embers from a fireplace, glowing cigarette ash, compressed sun-light through a glass-window or bottle, etc., will do the trick, but a stuffy-hot garage will not.

                            Will it damage your powder to be stored at a warm temperature, I don't know.

                            Keep it in an airtight NATO ammo box, the kind that costs $6 at Supply Sergeant it's cheap insurance.
                            Pitfighter.
                            CA/AZ

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Abenaki
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 1078

                              Real black powder does not and will not degrade.

                              Just keep it dry.
                              I would store it in a cool place, away from kids and idiots.


                              Take care
                              Abenaki
                              "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, December 1993

                              I'd rather be a Boomer, than generation crybaby!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1