Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Researching a Carbine.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GewehrJager
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 3

    Researching a Carbine.

    I've been researching an m1 carbine I have, and figured here was a good place to get some input.

    The Gun itself is in great condition, the barrel is clean as I imagine they can be (it shines and should have its own musical theme), and the markings indicate it was made during Wartime.

    The receiver itself is marked "Saginaw S'G' " and the serial (1833XXX ) falls into the Irwin-Pedersen Saginaw Gear block.
    It has a rear flip sight (unsure if its original or not, hoping for original, if it was an S.G. I would imagine it wasnt).

    The Barrel is a Buffalo Arms 8-43 (which leads to further proof of being from the Grand Rapids Saginaw location.)

    The stock has been replaced, I have its original but it had been previously Brutalized and required replacing. Since the rear half was removed there is no telling where it, the stock, was made.
    The buttplate has some (minor) odd corrosion on it and aside from a few marks and the upper hand guard being a bit worse for wear is in fine condition over all.

    Just thought I would share. It is a beautiful gun and would love to here some thoughts from others with interest or knowledge in the m1 Carbine.
    "Those who wave copies of the Constitution around as symbols of their liberty remind me of dogs who have learned to carry their leashes in their mouths." -Butler Shaffer
  • #2
    Fate
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2006
    • 9545

    Pics and a worksheet would be helpful to tell you more.
    sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

    "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
    , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

    Comment

    • #3
      GewehrJager
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 3

      Sorry, im a bit layman here. I have no clue what you mean by a worksheet. All there is to know of this gun is what is described above. The only thing I can add is some faded markings on the upper handguard and a couple discolorations on the outside of the barrel.

      Pics may take a while to get. Im a bit of an anachronist when it comes to handy tech gadgets.
      "Those who wave copies of the Constitution around as symbols of their liberty remind me of dogs who have learned to carry their leashes in their mouths." -Butler Shaffer

      Comment

      • #4
        NRAhighpowershooter
        Super Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jun 2003
        • 6485

        A worksheet lists all the markings on the various parts, ie. hammer, triger, sear, trigger housing, slide, mag release etc.....
        'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

        Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

        Comment

        • #5
        • #6
          Dr. Peter Venkman
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • 4899

          The flip up sight is original; rearsenaled carbines had the fixed sight which could be adjusted.
          sigpic
          "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
          Originally posted by berto
          You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

          Comment

          • #7
            Fate
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2006
            • 9545

            Originally posted by Dr. Peter Venkman
            The flip up sight is original; rearsenaled carbines had the fixed sight which could be adjusted.
            Well that really depends on how long it's been in the OP's hands. There are MANY fake/repro flip sights adorning seemingly "correct" carbines out there.
            sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

            "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
            , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

            Comment

            • #8
              LeadIntoGold
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 30

              Its a complete fake, its made out of plastic.. I'll give you 30$ to take it off your hands..

              So, you digging the Calguns? pretty sweet on here, isn't it?

              I don't have the C&R paperworks yet.. I'll get you a copy.

              ATF takes their swweeeeetttt bureaucratic time with this stuff.
              "There are no shortcuts, no structures or doctrines that can be erected, no hallowed documents to be revered, to save us the effort of continually challenging those who would presume to exercise authority over our lives." -Butler Shaffer

              Comment

              • #9
                Spiggy
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2006
                • 8688

                Originally posted by Fate
                Pics and a worksheet would be helpful to tell you more.
                Basically, we need to know the marks on every part possible
                Originally posted by AJAX22
                Anti gun BS...

                Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction

                Comment

                • #10
                  GewehrJager
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 3

                  ill try and get the thing apart here soon, and then we can see. When I get the time ofcourse.
                  "Those who wave copies of the Constitution around as symbols of their liberty remind me of dogs who have learned to carry their leashes in their mouths." -Butler Shaffer

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
                    Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 470

                    You can send it to me and Ill break it down and log the parts, clean and oil it for and the you'll never hear from me again. I mean uhhhhh Ill send it back to you ASAP ( uninsured with no sig conformation so If it gets lost its the post offices fault)

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      Hoop
                      Ready fo HILLARY!!
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 11544

                      I have one that's inland trigger, barrel, adjustable rear sight, inland round bolt, and inland slide. The handguard has a PJ on it, can't find any marks on the stock itself, barrel band has a JM on it, magazine release button has what looks like an M underlined on it. The serial number on the slide is a bit hard to see but it doesn't look like it matches the receiver - they are both 7 million serials though. I also found some marks on the underside of the barrel near the slide - looked like 3 P O W 5 Q and some other crap I couldn't see.

                      Any idea what this is worth? I figured it was just a standard mixmaster inland. The rifle itself is in decent shape, no better or worse than others I've seen.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1