Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

59/66 SKS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smle-man
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2007
    • 10605

    59/66 SKS

    I've owned a fair number of SKS carbines over the years from a Chicom Vietnam bring back to a Soviet rebuild. I've had about 5 or so but never hung onto any of them very long.

    I thought I was done with them until I saw a 59/66 on a local forum. It was $400 delivered, not a steal but a fair price. My dealer charged me $25 for the transfer. The seller told me his buddy had bought a crate with 10 of them all packed in cosmoline and he bought one of them.

    The seller had done the hard work for me and mostly cleaned it off. The bolt is full of cosmoline and the firing pin barely moves so it will need stripped down and flushed. The stock also has dried cosmo clinging to it.

    It came with the full issue kit including the log sheet. The only entry is from 2006.

    The previous owner put about 50 rounds through it and before him I'd say the Yugoslav/Serbian army only test fired it. it is in pretty minty condition except for some storage marks on the finish on the action cover.

    I'm looking forward to giving it a try next week.



  • #2
    huntingsocal
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 2319

    Nice one congrats and no need to remove the evil grenade launcher in a free state
    Low Mortgage Rates For Calguners in CA and Idaho:No Cost, No Obligation Mortgage Rate Analysis and SoCal/North Idaho House Hunting Guide Service. Plus, Free State Escape Planning

    Comment

    • #3
      otteray
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 3246

      I miss my California legal 59/66.
      Those Yugos were a real bargain a few years ago; and I kick myself for selling both of mine.
      I miss shooting the stinky imported ammo, disassembling and cleaning them. I enjoyed all of that. You will too.
      Congrats on your purchase!
      sigpic
      Single fin mentality

      Comment

      • #4
        Dan_Eastvale
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2013
        • 10763

        I have 4.. All Chinese...I hsve always said.. A chicken in every pot and an SKS in every safe..

        Comment

        • #5
          Enfield47
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2012
          • 6385

          Congrats on a great score!

          Comment

          • #6
            SVT-40
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2008
            • 12907

            That's a nice one!! Great price too. The wood on some of the Yugo's is really pretty.
            Poke'm with a stick!


            Originally posted by fiddletown
            What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

            Comment

            • #7
              smle-man
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2007
              • 10605

              The leather sling that is part of the kit has white mildew on it. Any tips for cleaning it off?

              Comment

              • #8
                0321jarhead
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 2116

                Mild soap (Dawn), hot water, let air dry then apply a leather cleaner/conditioner.
                That's just my experience.
                "TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
                Ronald Reagan

                Comment

                • #9
                  smle-man
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 10605

                  Originally posted by 0321jarhead
                  Mild soap (Dawn), hot water, let air dry then apply a leather cleaner/conditioner.
                  That's just my experience.
                  Thanks, I'll give it a try!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Full Clip
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 10266

                    Don't be lazy on that bolt! Tear it down fully to properly clean. (But I'm sure you know that.)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rickrock1
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 5158

                      Beatiful rifle I have a hand full of them and they are so reliable, accurate and eat everything.

                      Congratulations on the new tool.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        onelonehorseman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 4888

                        Originally posted by smle-man
                        The leather sling that is part of the kit has white mildew on it. Any tips for cleaning it off?
                        Use glycerine soap; it's specifically for leather.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          seanbo
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 1161

                          Just make sure to get some "bxn" Czech stripper clips, they are the best.
                          Last edited by seanbo; 01-14-2019, 3:20 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            smle-man
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 10605

                            Took it to the range today. It was shooting about 4 ft low! Fortunately the butt stock cleaning kit contains a cool tool that slips over the front sight post and another piece of the kit then allows the sight post tool to be rotated.

                            I shot Wolf cheap ball and S&B nice brass case ammunition to sight it in. The Wolf strung vertically but tight. The S&B shot way high and looked like buckshot on the target, a group of about 12" Guess the rifle likes Wolf.

                            The action cycles fine but doesn't lock open on the last round. It may still be breaking in. If it wasn't for the seemingly 15 lb trigger pull this would be a nice rifle to shoot. The rifle is so heavy that felt recoil is minimal. It felt as heavy as the M1A I was also shooting.

                            I cleaned it afterwards and was impressed with the way the firearm is put together, very Germanic in the execution of the design and the mania for numbering parts of the rifle.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              smle-man
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 10605

                              Anyone here able to translate this? I'm assuming it refers to throat erosion and bore diameter.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1