Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Whitney Kennedy Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AR22
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2174

    Whitney Kennedy Project

    Finishing up another Black powder cannon right now, but this will be my next project.

    I bought the barrelled Receiver as shown for from a guy in Alaska. it was made around 1883. Then I just bought this project Whitney this week. It will not be here till next week. Going to likely use the near complete one to finish the partial one. Have to evaluate them when the other arrives. And see for sure what direction to go.

    Not alot of Whitney Kennedys out there. Parts are pretty much impossible to find.

    Anyone else have one, post it if you want. I would like to see it.

    My Octagon barrelled one is actually a pretty rare barrel length. Standard on a Whitney was 24 Inch. My barrel is 28. Would have been specially ordered that way. The near complete project one is the standard 24 inch round.

    I will have a fair amount of money in this project. Nearly 700.00 or so. But they are a rare Lever Gun. So I think it worth it, even for a 2 in 1 assembled Rifle.. But I will also have a spare barrelled receiver, forend cap and complete mag tube assembly left over.

    The Maple wood will not be used for the finished Whitney either..

    Sorry I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get photos up, without the Imagur Link.
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
    Last edited by AR22; 08-03-2018, 1:00 PM.
  • #2
    Tom-ADC
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 3614

    Those are just neat I don't believe I've ever saw or handled one.
    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

    Comment

    • #3
      freonr22
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2008
      • 12948

      Supercool
      sigpic
      Originally posted by dantodd
      We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
      Originally posted by bwiese
      They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
      Originally posted by louisianagirl
      Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

      Comment

      • #4
        AR22
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 2174

        Thanks, no they are not encountered often. I like stuff more that has a elusive factor. Love my Old Marlin Lever Guns. But they are fairly common. This Project is just more fun, as not alot of them out there. I personally have never seen another in person either. And I go to a lot of Shows.

        I was told they made only 160 or so with 28 inch barrels. Mine are 44WCF. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.

        Will post some pics when it is all together and functioning.

        Comment

        • #5
          TRAP55
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2008
          • 5536

          AR22, I remember a guy on The Firearms Forum that collects them, can't recall his user name. He's a wealth of info on them though.

          Comment

          • #6
            AR22
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 2174

            Thanks for fixing that photo Trap. It may have been a guy that goes by the handle WK maybe? There is another small forum dedicated to them, but very few active members. WK is a member on that one also, but he has not had any replies to any of my posts there. Only one member there replied to anything.

            I have learned a little about them browsing different sites, but I am no expert yet for sure.

            Seems I was told they are usually found in pretty rough condition most of the time.
            Last edited by AR22; 08-04-2018, 12:29 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              TRAP55
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2008
              • 5536

              Tried to find his posts over there, but their search function sucks to say the least. He may have been a Burgess rifle collector from NZ, Burgess designed the Whitney Kennedy, Colt-Burgess, and others. He has Burgess rifles and shotguns as well as Whitney Kennedy rifles.
              Tried to post your other pic, but it was about 5 screens wide.

              Comment

              • #8
                AR22
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 2174

                Sorry posting photos sometimes is hard for me. I only have a ten year old camera. And they always seem to come out large.

                I will try to post a smaller one, and see if it works.

                Friend has two Colt Burgess. His Burgesses are in much better shape than my 1 1/2 Whitneys,LOL.

                I think Burgess may have helped mostly on the late made Whitney Sharfs. But that could be wrong also. I only remember some stuff so long..

                My octagon barrelled receiver was made around 1883 I think. The other S Lever/round barrel, near complete one was earlier. I would guess 1879-1880 maybe.Thanks

                Comment

                • #9
                  vivelacolo
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 74

                  Here is a whitney
                  [IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AR22
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 2174

                    Nice stuff Vivelocolo

                    Is your Whitney a 44WCF. Have you ever fired it? Like it. Thanks for posting.

                    Forgot, could I asked a favor? I am using a repro Walnut Stock form Gunville. I do not have a buttplate. I would like to see some good detailed photos of the buttplate. I likely will noot find a original. So will end up using a buttpate from a Old Marlin or Winchester maybe. They had a trapdoor I know.

                    I can PM my email if you want to send some.

                    Thanks
                    Last edited by AR22; 08-04-2018, 6:28 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pitfighter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 3152

                      Originally posted by vivelacolo
                      Here is a whitney
                      [IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

                      Nice collection - would like to see more pictures of the revolvers.
                      Pitfighter.
                      CA/AZ

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        vivelacolo
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 74

                        Few more images do not have time for more
                        [IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]







                        I hope it answers some of the questions.
                        REgards
                        RRO

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AR22
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 2174

                          Vivelocolo, that buttplate pic helps tremendously. I suspected they looked alot like ones from Winchesters and Marlins. I was even told that Marlin, Winchester and other manufacturers actually sourced some parts from each other in the day. True or not I am not sure. One of those types should work for me as I will probably never find a original Whitney one in my life probably.

                          If I do, your pic will help me identify it. Thanks very much.
                          Last edited by AR22; 08-05-2018, 11:48 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            vivelacolo
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 74

                            I checked and compared a winchester buttplate with a Whitney's, there are similar in concept but there are differences.
                            The curve is different. , the return on top is longer...
                            Some images
                            [IMG][/IMG][IMG]
                            Wincheste on Whitney
                            [/IMG]
                            Whitney on Winchester
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            Buttstock and buttplate.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TRAP55
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5536

                              Marlin didn't have the Trapdoor, but the comb piece was longer.
                              AR22, there's a guy on Gunauctions goes by the user name "endeavor", that's selling off his parts stash. He's in AZ.
                              Last edited by TRAP55; 08-05-2018, 1:28 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1