Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glass for SKS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 7.62user
    Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 281

    Glass for SKS?

    I have this unissued 1950 Tula sks. Bluing is perfect. I don't think bayonet was ever mounted. Action is perfect with no wear marks on a bluing. Still some cosmoline is present. Being it's a non chrome barrel I assume that it will be a tack driver with a scope. I have a few scopes and red dots to choose from. Rear cover set up is kind of cheap looking. I want a side mount.
    I can mig weld a side plate. Will it hold up to recoil? Scope or a red dot? Thanks.
    Last edited by 7.62user; 01-12-2021, 8:26 PM.
  • #2
    Varg Vikernes
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2831

    You'll just be hurting the value. The value of those things are only gonna go up.

    Ultimately its your gun though, do what you want with it, but don't say anyone didn't warn you.

    Comment

    • #3
      sigmanx
      Member
      • May 2017
      • 109

      Ya, I wouldn't do that on a Russian. If you want to put an optic on something, get a Yugo or something with a scope mount.

      Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        81turbota
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Oct 2014
        • 2956

        Please don't do that to a beautiful Russian!
        C&R nut.

        Comment

        • #5
          kcheung2
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 4387

          As an experiment, I once mounted a scope on an SKS, it was the cover mount but it was fitted and solid. At 100 yards, it shot the same with or without the scope. I went back to iron sights.

          I did the same experiment with an AK, a 3-9x on the side mount, it shot the same as a red dot setup. The only difference with a scope was that I was able to see my shots missing the bullseye.
          ---------------------
          "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

          Comment

          • #6
            maxx03
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 1423

            ^ This. Also a good trigger job will go along way in improving the accuracy. I have a Russian that shot to the left due to the horrible orginal trigger.

            Comment

            • #7
              MarikinaMan
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2015
              • 4864

              I have a Chinese ghost rifle. I was going to put a rail on it. My wife slapped me and said to take her out to dinner instead. Gawd, I love that woman.

              Comment

              • #8
                Bainter1212
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2013
                • 5936

                Please don't alter that SKS. You will knock about $200 from it's resale value....even more as time goes on.

                Get a Chinese one if you want to break out the welder. Even in that case, over the long term it's resale will take a hit.

                If you want to scope a gun, buy a Ruger American.

                This is equivalent to buying an all original 1955 Chevy pickup, lowering it, and putting some Mexican style low profile tires on it, along with a flame paint job. You will impress your idiot friends, while ruining a collectible.

                Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  echo1
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 3932

                  I have a very nice matching Chinese /26\ that I'll D&T, put a mount & Leapers 4X scope, zero and trade you for your Russian. PAX
                  You need a crew

                  "A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

                  Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MajorSideburns
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2013
                    • 1745

                    Make sure you saw off the bayonet lug. I think it would also look super cool if you add a NC Star clamp-on bipod, and put it into a Tapco stock with retractable M4 carbine style buttpad. Or if you like the grip of the original wood stock, spray paint it black. You can also have a gunsmith cut the barrel to 16" and recrown it, that will get the front sight out of the way for your scope visibility. A mig welded plate for the scope mount should hold up to recoil fine but I would personally drill holes and thread for screws afterwards to be on the safe side. Good luck! Post pictures when done and a range report!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1